Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door smashed by truck as it automatically opens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except the owner or someone with the owner's key "allegedly" pressed the key fob 4x to open the doors. Tesla has logs on everything, I'm amazed at the people that think there are no records of what the owners are doing. Pretty sure Tesla will be able to tell us to pull over as it's time for our weekday bowel movement.

Look at the mirrors. The car was locked, and is unlocking and opening doors starting just as the crash happens. Hard to believe that's not the car getting a fob signal...

Also a horrible parking job that's dangerously far out and canted, and a truck that skims far too close.

Reactions: bhzmark
I don’t know what the argument is; the Tesla opened its door into an obvious crash; totally at fault.
The argument is whether the owner pressed the fob to cause it to open or if the car got a signal from outer space and totally opened without operator intervention. I suspect as with previous "the car did it on it's own" claims, the owner is at fault.

Is opening the driver/passenger front door via keyfob a function of only the premium upgrade?

I only see "self-presenting" front door is listed as a PUP feature, but I can't seem to find a way to get that to work on my non-PUP X. I didn't care about the door opening when I walked up to it, but definitely wanted a way to open the doors via the keyfob, since they can close all the doors.

Can someone confirm? If it is part of the PUP, which button opens the door, the falcon wing button or is there an additional side button on the PUP fob?

• Disagree
Reactions: Tigers
Many of us are techies who love the latest gizmos. But I will say when it comes to my cars I am not a fan of electronics that are principally designed for show, mostly because I keep my cars long enough for them to fail.

I believe my S will be very reliable in most respects but anticipate seeing automatic window, mirror and door handle presentation failures -- and would gladly live without the door handles being automated. I would bet most people who keep their X's for many years will learn to hate the automated doors.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
I don’t know what the argument is; the Tesla opened its door into an obvious crash; totally at fault.

I can see your perspective but a certain point we humans have to take responsibility too. If I drove my car into a pole due to ignorance and got injured I wouldn't blame Tesla. They can and certainly should make a good faith attempt to preempt this but that doesn't make them responsible.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Many of us are techies who love the latest gizmos. But I will say when it comes to my cars I am not a fan of electronics that are principally designed for show, mostly because I keep my cars long enough for them to fail.

I believe my S will be very reliable in most respects but anticipate seeing automatic window, mirror and door handle presentation failures -- and would gladly live without the latter two being automated. I would bet most people who keep their X's for many years will learn to hate the automated doors.

I turned the automated doors off. It's cool but also annoying. Also had to turn passive entry off as well.

If you play the video at 0.25 speed, you can clearly see that the right door opens before the left. Is this in a right hand drive market? With the double keyfob press, it opens the driver's door first, then another double click to open the passenger door.

Nevermind, I just looked at the article on Electrek, and this was in Australia which is a right hand drive market.

Rear camera(s) should have seen the truck approaching & quickly closed the doors considering there is AI "supercomputer" onboard:oops: J\K
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 6.22.38 AM.png

Tesla has logs on everything, I'm amazed at the people that think there are no records of what the owners are doing.
Logs are only as accurate as the device reporting the information - in this case, the X itself. If the X thought it received a FOB signal, the logs it sends Tesla will say it received a FOB signal... That doesn't mean it's right and doesn't prove nothing went wrong in the X's computer, the X's interpretation of a (different?) signal, etc.

I'm not saying that's anywhere near as likely as the owner or someone else having activated the doors by the FOB. Just saying logs are not the final authority on what actually transpired.

If you play the video at 0.25 speed, you can clearly see that the right door opens before the left. Is this in a right hand drive market? With the double keyfob press, it opens the driver's door first, then another double click to open the passenger door.

Nevermind, I just looked at the article on Electrek, and this was in Australia which is a right hand drive market.
Nonetheless, thanks for calling this out - I was really confused about why the Electrek article said the truck driver was terrified that he had killed the Tesla driver!

That timing looks to me like more support for the car receiving a series of fob signals, given that it is in a RHD market.

Reactions: bhzmark
Frankly, I wish Tesla would include an option to turn off all door auto-open except the trunk. I really don't need them and the damage that can happen by accidentally opening them exceeds any miniscule benefit for me.

I've disabled "all I can", but still there remains the multi-press opening...

Logs are only as accurate as the device reporting the information - in this case, the X itself. If the X thought it received a FOB signal, the logs it sends Tesla will say it received a FOB signal... That doesn't mean it's right and doesn't prove nothing went wrong in the X's computer, the X's interpretation of a (different?) signal, etc.

I'm not saying that's anywhere near as likely as the owner or someone else having activated the doors by the FOB. Just saying logs are not the final authority on what actually transpired.

Not to mention the logs are held by a party with conflict of interest in a matter such as this.

The legally mandated black boxes (presumably opened by an idependent third party) are a welcome thing in the future. Apparently potentially required for Level 3+ self-driving in some markets (another thing for Tesla to sort out for FSD?)...

Personally, in this one, I believe the fob got pushed by accident. It is simply too easy to do it, there are so many stories on TMC. It still happens to me on occasion, even though I've disabled all I can...

Driver is likely responsible, but still this is an opportunity to improve the product too IMO.

Is opening the driver/passenger front door via keyfob a function of only the premium upgrade?

I only see "self-presenting" front door is listed as a PUP feature, but I can't seem to find a way to get that to work on my non-PUP X. I didn't care about the door opening when I walked up to it, but definitely wanted a way to open the doors via the keyfob, since they can close all the doors.

Can someone confirm? If it is part of the PUP, which button opens the door, the falcon wing button or is there an additional side button on the PUP fob?

Yes the self-presenting doors are only in the PUP, even on new builds which moved some previous-PUP features to standard features. If you have it, you can turn it off with a switch slider.

From the video by looking at mirrors (as stated above) and the light sequence, it is consistent with all the most permissive options being set in the sliders, and one initial double-click (on top of fob) which flashes rear blinkers twice, unlocks car, unfolds mirrors, and opens driver (right) door. Then it is followed by second double-click (evidenced by another double-blinker flash) which opens passenger door on sidewalk side. The driver door gets partway open before truck rips it off.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker