Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Speaker Upgrade Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
Hi fellow addicts-

I have the standard audio system in my Model S and I recently self-installed the NVX 10" sub kit and am fairly pleased with the results when measured against costs. However, now I need to turn my attention to the door speakers as they blow donkey balls.

I saw several threads late last year about Light Harmonic (LHLABS) replacement door speakers that were special made @2ohm and even came with the proper mounting hardware. They seem to have disappeared from their site and I haven't heard squat about them beyond the initial good reviews.

I've also done some searching and found one thread of a guy installing Infinity Kappa 6.5" 2ohm speakers in the REAR doors (but not the front?). He hasn't responded to my DMs asking why.

Anyways, for those of you that are DIYers, do you have any recommendations for in door speaker upgrades?

Right now my only guess is to try the Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers for about $100/pair and try and retrofit the existing speaker mounts. Anybody done anything better or smarter?

Reactions: BigTex68 and Dan60D
I upgraded my speakers (LH), IMHO you only really need to upgrade the front door speakers. The new rear speakers had very little difference in sound. The sound is not as full from the head unit / amp (whatever you'd call it) on the rear. I have the base audio system. I have the NVX system but it's still in the box (long story, going in soon I hope).

I have a base system updated with NVX sub and Kappa speakers in both front and rear. The improvement is massive, especially, considering how inexpensive it is. I used factory speakers as "mounts" (there is no speaker mounts by the way) - simply cut out the old speaker and the Kappa fits like a glove.

Hi fellow addicts-

I have the standard audio system in my Model S and I recently self-installed the NVX 10" sub kit and am fairly pleased with the results when measured against costs. However, now I need to turn my attention to the door speakers as they blow donkey balls.

I saw several threads late last year about Light Harmonic (LHLABS) replacement door speakers that were special made @2ohm and even came with the proper mounting hardware. They seem to have disappeared from their site and I haven't heard squat about them beyond the initial good reviews.

I've also done some searching and found one thread of a guy installing Infinity Kappa 6.5" 2ohm speakers in the REAR doors (but not the front?). He hasn't responded to my DMs asking why.

Anyways, for those of you that are DIYers, do you have any recommendations for in door speaker upgrades?

Right now my only guess is to try the Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers for about $100/pair and try and retrofit the existing speaker mounts. Anybody done anything better or smarter?

I have a base system updated with NVX sub and Kappa speakers in both front and rear. The improvement is massive, especially, considering how inexpensive it is. I used factory speakers as "mounts" (there is no speaker mounts by the way) - simply cut out the old speaker and the Kappa fits like a glove.

Thank you. Can you confirm you used the 62.11i speakers?

I wrote pretty extensively about the LH speakers on my blog-- with videos-- multi-part starting here: TeslaPittsburgh.com: Introduction: Light Harmonic Speaker Upgrade

As I suggested in my conclusions, you can most economically jump in with a friend and get a set of four. Install front speakers in both cars and you're both happier for $500 each and have spares for your rears if they fail down the road. But for $1000 it doesn't get much easier to upgrade the sound than doing all four.

I'm eager to try a subwoofer addition but haven't jumped yet. I was hoping LH would come out with an upgrade for that soon, but so far I haven't heard anything.

LH speakers are a good upgrade compared to the original. Just make sure to use them initially as they require break in period. Mine didnt sound much better initially right after installation but has gotten much better now.

However just note if you really want good sounding system then tesla is probably not the car for you. I suspect no matter how good the speakers/sub woofer is tesla just didnt design the cabin to optimize for interior sound system. To me it still sounds hollow compared to other cars like mercedes, infiniti, and Lexus.

It seems strange to me that no other popular speaker manufacturers have offered upgraded plug and play speakers for the Tesla standard audio system for these reasons:

1. All four door speakers are the same size and shape
2. They have been the same over a multi year period
3. It is well known that the Tesla standard audio system is sub par compared to other cars in its price range.
4. Many Tesla owners upgrade and customize their cars after purchase.
5. Telsa owners have more disposable income than average

Why doesn't NVX offer upgraded door speakers to go with the NVX Boost subwoofer?

Reactions: bnsfengineer

Yes if you can give any more info that would be great. One post said they had to epoxy the new speaker into the factory mount and another said they 3D printed something.

I am debating the NVX sub and a 5 channell amp or the nvx with mono amp and swapping out speakers.

The NVX - amp kit is sold out at the nvx site and the LH are also not available currently.

With all due respect to LH products, as long as you install a 2 ohm speaker set from a respected maker, you'll be satisfied.

NVX, the maker of the dedicated subwoofer for the MS, also makes a set of 2 ohm tweeter/midbase components designed for the MS. In this case, you replace the door speakers AND the tweeters in the A pillars (which isn't hard). So you get a total of four new speakers for about $130: https://tinyurl.com/bdaxd9dp

May not be as good as the LHs, but lots better than factory.

You do have to use the old door speakers to create mounts for the new speakers (also not hard), but you save $470.

Removing the door panels was surprisingly simply compared to my other cars.