Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door storage space needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's one, don't carry so much clutter in your car :tongue:

I like the lack of places for crap to accumulate, and haven't even missed it. Who needs actual maps anymore? You're driving a giant iPad, come on!

I DO keep my ChargePoint card in the little pocket on the front edge of the driver's seat, but that's pretty much the only thing that stays in my car (I keep my sunglasses in their case in the cubby below the main screen)

This ^^^

Never really felt the need to have anything there. It keeps the car looking clean and uncluttered. I love it.

While on trips it would be nice to have rear cup holders but that is another thread

+ 1 on needing door pocket storage. My biggest need is more space for garage door openers. I've used up all the door opener spaces in the computer and I still need more. Across two houses and work I have 2 gates and 6 garage doors but only 3 positions in the computer. I can line up 3-5 openers in the door pocket of my other cars. I suppose they could let the computer control additional garages.

From this thread: Yacht Floor - Page 6 ..
...I took TMC user kevincwelch's great idea and got two of the Piel multi-use small leather box from Wayfair.com. I use them to store glasses, cables, keys, etc. Works very well and looks great to hide the "clutter".

eta: I like this solution over the expensive console box because I didn't want to totally cover up the carbon fiber yacht floor.

The only downside is this particular box is getting hard to find (they're often out of stock, but it looks like they are back in stock now: Multi-Use Small Leather Box Decor | Wayfair)

Here's what they look like in my car:

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 1,157
Last edited:
+ 1 on needing door pocket storage. My biggest need is more space for garage door openers. I've used up all the door opener spaces in the computer and I still need more. Across two houses and work I have 2 gates and 6 garage doors but only 3 positions in the computer. I can line up 3-5 openers in the door pocket of my other cars. I suppose they could let the computer control additional garages.

Do you have openers with multiple buttons? My Chamberlain remotes will control 3 doors. With the 3 doors of the car that's 6 doors/gates. That's got to take care or 99% of folks. I can also use my phone instead of carrying the remotes. Maybe you could use some tech updates to simplify your arrangements.

ouch...couldn't you get some of the gates and doors on the same frequency or something?

..I think the front doors have speaker boxes built in? pretty sure this takes up some of the space

Last edited:
Where would you suggest I keep 4 garage door openers and sunglasses case? The cubby below the screen is too small and things fall out when you accelerate hard. The glove box is far away. Things tend to go flying out of the yacht floor area and onto the passenger / driver floor when you do any spirited cornering. The beauty of door pockets or a closing center console is that they do a good job of restraining stuff in the directions it tends to move in an operating automobile. I'm a big fan of minimalism and pretty OCD with things but I would prefer the aesthetic compromise of door pockets to things flying and sliding around all over the place.

Glove box, cubby under touch screen, brief case, huge space in between the front two seats, pockets in my pants.

Where would you suggest I keep 4 garage door openers and sunglasses case? The cubby below the screen is too small and things fall out when you accelerate hard. The glove box is far away. Things tend to go flying out of the yacht floor area and onto the passenger / driver floor when you do any spirited cornering. The beauty of door pockets or a closing center console is that they do a good job of restraining stuff in the directions it tends to move in an operating automobile. I'm a big fan of minimalism and pretty OCD with things but I would prefer the aesthetic compromise of door pockets to things flying and sliding around all over the place.

Why 4 garage door openers and not just use the home link? For slipping out why not put down a piece of no-slip material in the cubby? Is the glove box full? Of what? Im asking all these mostly because i'm thinking about them as I await delivery..

We can't unify the codes because they are rolling code doors. I do have some of the home remotes consolidated into multi-button remotes. Getting the remotes synched on one of the garage door openers is a total PITA because one of them is an older design which resets all the codes every time you want to synch a new remote. Thus all the remotes must be there at the same time to synch. When you have 6 cars that are not always at the same location at the same time its a PITA. For work we sometimes have to change the codes so my admin collects the remotes updates them and gives them back to me. Thus, I have lots of remotes and it may sound insane but its never been an issue in any other car. I suppose if the Tesla could store 6-8 door codes that would at least take care of the houses. I have to image that give the Model S price point, a fair portion of the buyers have multiple houses with gates and multiple doors.

Do you have openers with multiple buttons? My Chamberlain remotes will control 3 doors. With the 3 doors of the car that's 6 doors/gates. That's got to take care or 99% of folks. I can also use my phone instead of carrying the remotes. Maybe you could use some tech updates to simplify your arrangements.

- - - Updated - - -

As a temporary solution at least one or two could be programmed into Homelink, maybe others clipped onto visor or upside down on cubby shelf.

Yeah, we have all 3 home links programmed and then I have remotes clipped onto the cubby which is a bit clumsy with my phone, sunglasses etc. Its passable but certainly not as good as just having a door pocket.

Last edited:
Why 4 garage door openers and not just use the home link? For slipping out why not put down a piece of no-slip material in the cubby? Is the glove box full? Of what? Im asking all these mostly because i'm thinking about them as I await delivery..

I can't answer for him on the Homelink, but the cubby already has non-slip material at the bottom. With barely any ledge, no amount of rubberization is going to keep stuff in there if you floor it. The glove box is tiny. I had the manual the car came with, my sunglasses case, some napkins, and the J1772 adaptor and it was so full when you opened it my sunglasses case would roll out. I pulled out the manual to make room for my wife's sunglasses so those don't get left to fly around the center console area.

It's a little unusual that I drive a simply massive car and have to hide little things I'd like easily accessible in bags (so they don't roll around) in the bonus storage area under the trunk.

Mostly I just really wish they hadn't wasted the armrest. The SC said other than the temp sensor, it's completely empty in there. Just that little bit of hidden space, even oddly shaped, would have made a huge difference.

No slip material is not going to cut it. I don't know how you drive but things definitely need to be wedged in, packed in or tied down to keep them from flying around the cabin. I did't buy a P85+ to go slow. As I mentioned above, I do have the homelinks programmed.