Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door strikers are not adjustable on 2020 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. My back door has the slightest misalignment. I probably wouldn’t have even noticed except there was so much noise about panel gaps that I had a more discerning eye than normal.

Anyways the mobile tech tried to adjust the striker on my 2020 Model and there was no change. He tried a couple times and said it must already be in all the way. He said there is no other method to fix and I would need a whole new door if I wanted to press the issue.

Was your latch adjusted?

My appointment is on Jan 10th

looks the same as mine, the holes in the plate were a bit larger than the bolt so you could adjust it a little. I Never did git the door to be perfectly aligned and close easily. I think I would need to remove the door panel for that if it's even possible. I went for easier to close.

I Hammered it. Seems it worked
Hi all.
To confirm I had the same doubt/issue (I have a 2020 M3 model; the driver’s door striker seemed immovable and the screws were the same size as the striker’s thread, so no adjustment seemed possible).

But after a series of good whacks on the slightly-loosened striker with a mallet, I got it to move where I needed it, a good mm or 2 inwards (see the distance between the now-adjusted striker and the 2 post-its marking its original position on the left).
image.jpg

So would say you have to hammer a bit harder than comfortable (the striker can take it!); but to conclude, the striker is definitely moveable on a 2020 M3.

Bringing this back from the dead with a suggestion that may or may not work on a Model 3. I've restored a couple classic cars from the ground up and latch/strike plate alignment is always off on a freshly restored car. Usually, the latch is stationary in the door; it's only goes in one way and it isn't adjustable. The strike plate however is adjustable to ensure proper door to body panel alignment and proper engagement of the latch and strike plate. The most effective way I found to adjust this is to semi tighten the strike plate then close the door. This will usually set the strike plate exactly where it needs to be in relation to the latch and body panel aft of the strike plate. Once you've confirmed the door is properly aligned, gently open the door as to not disturb the newly adjusted strike plate then tighten the bolts. This should key the strike plate perfectly.

On my 2022 MXP, the plates inside the body do not move not matter how hard and often you strike with a hammer or a mallet. The plates do move away from the inside of the door jamb if you put just the screws in without the striker plate but the rear plate is attached on the inner most side and pivots when you push the plate back. No amount of yanking, pulling, hammer strikes, etc will break it loose from this inner most attachment. Both sides are the same.

On my 2022 MXP, the plates inside the body do not move not matter how hard and often you strike with a hammer or a mallet. The plates do move away from the inside of the door jamb if you put just the screws in without the striker plate but the rear plate is attached on the inner most side and pivots when you push the plate back. No amount of yanking, pulling, hammer strikes, etc will break it loose from this inner most attachment. Both sides are the same.

Responding to myself. Since this post, Tesla service in Fremont has told me that the strikers are no longer adjustable.

Not true, they are adjustable. You need to loosen the bolts just slightly, then hammer on the striker in the direction you want it to move. This will move the inner plate that the nuts are welded to. After that retighten. You will probably need to adjust it (and perhaps also the bolts on the door hinge) many times before you get a good alignment of the door.

Not true, they are adjustable. You need to loosen the bolts just slightly, then hammer on the striker in the direction you want it to move. This will move the inner plate that the nuts are welded to. After that retighten. You will probably need to adjust it (and perhaps also the bolts on the door hinge) many times before you get a good alignment of the door.

I already tried that. Used a mallet. Used a hammer. Used a lot of force. So much so that I even bent the striker slightly. The plate behind it will not budge. I've adjusted striker plates before. I know how to do it. it's not doable on the 2022. My 2015 S was adjustable. Had to use a mallet but it did move.

If you saw my previous post, this is on the Model X, NOT the 3.

I already tried that. Used a mallet. Used a hammer. Used a lot of force. So much so that I even bent the striker slightly. The plate behind it will not budge. I've adjusted striker plates before. I know how to do it. it's not doable on the 2022. My 2015 S was adjustable. Had to use a mallet but it did move.

If you saw my previous post, this is on the Model X, NOT the 3.
Oh, I was talking about model 3.