TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door that doesn't line up

Discussion in 'Model S' started by scottflys, Jan 17, 2017.

1. scottflys

scottflys Member

2. scottflys

scottflys Member

Is this normal or should it be fixed?

3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I had them fix this on my CPO as a due bill item. They said it was an easy fix, but it did require a trip to the body shop so it took a few days. Came back perfectly aligned.

4. Tam

Tam Active Member

Tesla robots need to do a better job on fit and finish quality.

It's only aesthetic and does not impair your car performance so some owners just don't care and won't get those fixed..

However, others really do. Just point out those fit and finish quality issues out and Service Center will manually fix them for you.

5. Deans

Deans Member

It is more than aesthetic. I'll bet that your door does not latch properly unless you close it with greater than normal force.
    Mine had the same problem, though not nearly as severe, and the latch bolt doesn't match up with the slot correctly. There is some friction loss and I have to slam the door to get it to latch.

6. ACExpress

ACExpress Member

I'm probably less picky than most on this forum, but that would bother me and be something I'd want them to fix.

7. Takumi

Takumi Member

Is it the door or the trim that's misaligned?
    Take a pic of the lower part of the door and see if it's also misaligned.

• Like x 1
  8. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

It's a little comical that on the factory tour they tell you that their level of precision for measurement is something on the order of "1/100th the width of a human hair", yet these issues persist. My June 2016 Model S has a few misalignments. I still love her!

9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I think that tesla humans need to do a better job on Q/C on fit and finish quality, this misalignment might impact poorly on wind noise.

For the OP, why did you accept the car in this condition?

• Like x 1
  10. Deans

Deans Member

It's the entire door "sagging" down. The trim is just an easy reference point to see the alignment problem.

11. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Maybe someone should send them some Pantene.

12. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

I took delivery in December and my driver's door looked much the same. Annoying. The door itself seemed to be aligned properly, but the trim was WAY off (even more than yours).

I'm a few hours from the nearest service center, so after some research here I discovered that the trim is basically just wedged into a track in the top of the door and can be brought into alignment with a little tug/pull. It's in there pretty good, but after getting over the fear of yanking on a trim piece on my brand new $80k car (and being a little perturbed that I had to in the first place), I got it aligned perfectly and everything looks good now.

Sounds like your issues might be with the door itself, but I thought I should post this for others that might be looking at similar issues.

13. scottflys

scottflys Member

I think its the door, its hard to open and close on both sides, having it looked at tomorrow.

14. Deans

Deans Member

Kneel down and slowly close the door. Look at the latching mechanism as you close. Is the bolt hitting the top of the latch mechanism? If aligned properly, it won't touch the top metal part at all.

15. azred

azred Member

Of course it needs to be fixed. And if you have visible uneven gaps they should also be fixed. Why would anyone think they perhaps shouldn't insist that obvious defects be corrected?

16. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I had sagging trim on passenger side as well. Tesla Mobile service technician fixed it right in my garage. The rattle in my center console (seems to do with the rear cup holders) he worked on for an hour with no improvement (still rattles) so he's getting a new one on order.

Stuff happens with Tesla, but they always fix it without hassle. Just call and schedule.

17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Take her in. Totally unacceptable.

18. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

It's not the door, it's the trim and mine was the same way when I took delivery. The SC can fix this just call and make an appointment.