Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door that doesn't line up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this normal or should it be fixed?

Tesla robots need to do a better job on fit and finish quality.

It's only aesthetic and does not impair your car performance so some owners just don't care and won't get those fixed..

However, others really do. Just point out those fit and finish quality issues out and Service Center will manually fix them for you.

It is more than aesthetic. I'll bet that your door does not latch properly unless you close it with greater than normal force.
Mine had the same problem, though not nearly as severe, and the latch bolt doesn't match up with the slot correctly. There is some friction loss and I have to slam the door to get it to latch.

It's a little comical that on the factory tour they tell you that their level of precision for measurement is something on the order of "1/100th the width of a human hair", yet these issues persist. My June 2016 Model S has a few misalignments. I still love her!

I took delivery in December and my driver's door looked much the same. Annoying. The door itself seemed to be aligned properly, but the trim was WAY off (even more than yours).

I'm a few hours from the nearest service center, so after some research here I discovered that the trim is basically just wedged into a track in the top of the door and can be brought into alignment with a little tug/pull. It's in there pretty good, but after getting over the fear of yanking on a trim piece on my brand new $80k car (and being a little perturbed that I had to in the first place), I got it aligned perfectly and everything looks good now.

Sounds like your issues might be with the door itself, but I thought I should post this for others that might be looking at similar issues.

I had sagging trim on passenger side as well. Tesla Mobile service technician fixed it right in my garage. The rattle in my center console (seems to do with the rear cup holders) he worked on for an hour with no improvement (still rattles) so he's getting a new one on order.

Stuff happens with Tesla, but they always fix it without hassle. Just call and schedule.