Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Trim & Window Pops / Rattles on Bumps and Turns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at my wits end with this rattle. It's been there since day one (2020 M3) and I've had multiple service trips and even mobile service. Of course I couldn't replicate the sound when he rode with me. Taking it in to SC is a waste because the roads are super smooth.

When I go over bumps, railroad tracks, other uneven surfaces and do hard turns with acceleration, I get a popping/creaking sound in this area circled. I can make the noise myself by pressing firmly on the area.

It's almost like the flexing of the door on bumps/turns is causing the bottom of the window to hit something inside that area. It only does it when the window is rolled UP. If the window is down slightly it doesn't do it.

At first I thought it was the weather stripping, but it's definitely coming from the door trim area and not at the top of the window.

I also get a faint glass rattle in the window area at times on bumps, railroad tracks, etc. Can't tell if these are two different issues or the same one.

Has anyone seen or heard this before? I have it on both my driver and passenger side. Passenger side is worse. Hard to replicate every time and I am so mad that it's always quiet when I have a mobile service tech ride with me.

I have another appt. on the 8th for this same rattle, but just trying to get feedback to see if anyone has any suggestions or experience with this.
TeslaDoor.jpg
I love so much about this car, but the rattles are driving me nuts.

For me it was the seat belt flapping on the passenger seat. Moving the seat forward fixed it. This was found by a service technician.
Thanks, no it's definitely the window. I keep my passenger seat belt buckled for the very reason you stated. I think I found the solution. Someone in another thread had a similar issue and the window was misaligned. Hoping to get it fixed on my next appt.

Thanks, no it's definitely the window. I keep my passenger seat belt buckled for the very reason you stated. I think I found the solution. Someone in another thread had a similar issue and the window was misaligned. Hoping to get it fixed on my next appt.
I have the same thing same place! So annoying! Please let me know if they figure it out.

I used my stethescope and found my creeking coming from the exact location you took a pic of. I am tempted to take the inner door panel off myself to look for a wire harness or loose clip to soundproof. I have not gotten enough courage yet. I am reluctant to drink EtOH to aquire said courage for tis task.

I have the same thing same place! So annoying! Please let me know if they figure it out.
I have the same issue. When you crack the window, there is no noise. I’m guessing, when you close the door and the window goes up..upon hitting a bump the door flexes up and the window gets pushed down making a noise. Is there a way to adjust the window height when closing the door?

I have the same issue. When you crack the window, there is no noise. I’m guessing, when you close the door and the window goes up..upon hitting a bump the door flexes up and the window gets pushed down making a noise. Is there a way to adjust the window height when closing the door?
I've been able to silence it a little more by doing a window recalibration. That's when you hold the window button in the up position for a minute to hear it reset. Sometimes that works but it's never consistent. I think the only fix is a window adjustment/re-alignment. Unfortunately, I'm not paying $200 or whatever the fee is to have them look at it because it's not consistent enough for them to always hear it.

I do have a video of myself pressing on that area and making the rattle. It's the same noise I hear on bumps and turns. So if I need another appt for something else, I'll show them that. See if you can make the noise by pressing that area. I wish I had thought to do that when I first discovered it, but didn't know exactly where the noise was coming from.

Reactions: Cypcode
Great info. Do you have a link to the video?
Here's a video on recalibrating

Something else to check to make sure we're dealing with the same problem is when you roll your window up all the way up and hold the button up, there's a normal thud sound when they are aligned or closing properly. My back windows sound fine.

On my windows with the click/rattle, there is an extra click/tap as if something is contacting glass inside the door trim (assuming that's where the regulator is). Sometimes after repeatedly pressing up on the "window up" button, the click/tap will go away and it will sound like the rear windows.

Do you have the clicking/pop sound when you roll up your windows? That's a sign we are dealing with the same issue. Check to see if all your windows sound the same when you hold the window button up when after closing.

Definitely seems like a window regulator issue.

Last edited: