Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door/trunk weirdness? Fob weirdness?

Curious if this is a common problem - a lot of times I got to open my door/trunk and it stays locked. Sometimes, I get a bonus and sentry beeps angrily at me. Very rarely, I get in and the car says there’s no key and won’t start. Eventually, it registers and I’m good.

I use the fob and not the phone key. Doubt it’s battery as the problem started within a few months of ownership. Assuming Tesla will tell me when the fob battery is low like some of my other cars did.

Curious if others are running into this with a fob? Also if they’re running into this with the phone key?

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I dont use my fob much, but I wouldnt depend on the car to tell you when the fob battery is low since it didnt come standard with a fob to begin with. I would try changing the battery in the fob. I remember changing the battery in mine within a few months of getting it too.

I dont use my fob much, but I wouldnt depend on the car to tell you when the fob battery is low since it didnt come standard with a fob to begin with. I would try changing the battery in the fob. I remember changing the battery in mine within a few months of getting it too.

I may have to try that battery swap. While the car doesn't come with a fob, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of bidirectional communication between the fob and car that could relay the battery status - I *think* it's using a bluetooth link.

TBrownTX

Dec 25, 2020
Dallas, TX
Curious if this is a common problem - a lot of times I got to open my door/trunk and it stays locked. Sometimes, I get a bonus and sentry beeps angrily at me. Very rarely, I get in and the car says there’s no key and won’t start. Eventually, it registers and I’m good.

I use the fob and not the phone key. Doubt it’s battery as the problem started within a few months of ownership. Assuming Tesla will tell me when the fob battery is low like some of my other cars did.

Curious if others are running into this with a fob? Also if they’re running into this with the phone key?

I have a FOB and tried it for about a week. Same problem you are describing, so I went back to the phone and have zero issues. Now I keep the FOB in the drawer as a spare key, or will use if I ever plan to valet, etc.

Tim

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC