Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door/trunk weirdness? Fob weirdness?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if this is a common problem - a lot of times I got to open my door/trunk and it stays locked. Sometimes, I get a bonus and sentry beeps angrily at me. Very rarely, I get in and the car says there’s no key and won’t start. Eventually, it registers and I’m good.

I use the fob and not the phone key. Doubt it’s battery as the problem started within a few months of ownership. Assuming Tesla will tell me when the fob battery is low like some of my other cars did.

Curious if others are running into this with a fob? Also if they’re running into this with the phone key?

I dont use my fob much, but I wouldnt depend on the car to tell you when the fob battery is low since it didnt come standard with a fob to begin with. I would try changing the battery in the fob. I remember changing the battery in mine within a few months of getting it too.

I dont use my fob much, but I wouldnt depend on the car to tell you when the fob battery is low since it didnt come standard with a fob to begin with. I would try changing the battery in the fob. I remember changing the battery in mine within a few months of getting it too.

I may have to try that battery swap. While the car doesn't come with a fob, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of bidirectional communication between the fob and car that could relay the battery status - I *think* it's using a bluetooth link.

Curious if this is a common problem - a lot of times I got to open my door/trunk and it stays locked. Sometimes, I get a bonus and sentry beeps angrily at me. Very rarely, I get in and the car says there’s no key and won’t start. Eventually, it registers and I’m good.

I use the fob and not the phone key. Doubt it’s battery as the problem started within a few months of ownership. Assuming Tesla will tell me when the fob battery is low like some of my other cars did.

Curious if others are running into this with a fob? Also if they’re running into this with the phone key?

I have a FOB and tried it for about a week. Same problem you are describing, so I went back to the phone and have zero issues. Now I keep the FOB in the drawer as a spare key, or will use if I ever plan to valet, etc.

Tim