Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door window rubbing on chrome when opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

emmz0r

Senior Software Engineer
Jul 12, 2018
Norway
Back door window top edge is rubbing against the chrome when opening the door. This happens when opening it normally, like not fast.

So what I do is to be careful and open it slow so the window has the chance to pull down first. Other people that are unaware causes this to happen as well so I have to tell them to be careful. It's only that single door. I see that the glass on top of the window is hazy from the rubbing.

Service center were of course unable to reproduce because it's on "best behavior" when it's there. Like it knows it has to behave. :p

Anyone else? What do I do?

Mine was doing the same.
Only did it once at service center, then wouldn't do it again.
Turned out that the window was sticking on the weatherstrip just a little, and just long enough to rub on the trim when opening.
Try a real good cleaning of the weatherstrip. Maybe that will help.

Reactions: emmz0r
it's likely related to the window regulator failing/damaged track or glass alignment
If regulator: it's setting the wrong up height, and it fails to go down about 1/2" to 1" before clearing the chrome
--or, the window track inside door is bent/damaged
if alignment: the window is out of place on the track, and need to be realigned.

Tesla service should be able to diagnose the difference.

how do I know? Someone broke into my car by smashing back window. Non-tesla window repair banged the chrome. Took it to tesla and they fixed the track which was bent and still misaligned. Turned out non-oem window mounts were off by 0.5mm

Fixed track and OEM window, no more issue. Cost me an extra $250 not using tesla to replace the glass.

If regulator: it's setting the wrong up height, and it fails to go down about 1/2" to 1" before clearing the chrome
There's a trick to resetting the window if it isn't measuring properly. From the driver's seat roll that window down and keep holding the down button for 10 seconds after it stops. Then roll it back up and keep holding up 10 seconds at the top again. This calibrates top and bottom endpoints.