Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door won’t open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past few weeks I have experienced an issue a couple times with my drivers door handle. The handle presents when walking up but when I pull on it the door won’t open.
If I walk away and let the handles pull back in then approach again and grab the handle it opens.
What mechanism in the handle causes this problem? I will need to order parts to repair it.
Thanks.

If you have one of the earlier version door handles there are three micro switches that detect various inputs and positions. There is a complex loom of wires that runs between all of these along with some other electronics inside of the door handle assembly. At the factory, some of the people who were assembling these thought that they were doing a good thing by zip tying everything tight before sending it down the road. The problem this creates is that it doesn't allow the wiring to flex and move as the handle presents and retracts. Over time this can cause the wires to bend around corners and eventually wear through their insulation and ground out and quit working. This can present early on in inconsistent issues that come and go randomly similar to what you describe. My guess is if you took your door handle assembly out and took it apart you would see a couple of small wires bent around a corner that have wore through there insulation and are now grounding out.