Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Won't Open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My driver's door handle stopped responding Saturday. It would extend but not open, and would not retract into the door when locked. Pulled the door fuses, waited 15 seconds, and replaced the fuses. All handles worked fine. Opened/closed the door a few times, took a short drive and it stopped responding again. Did the fuses again, and so far it's been working fine for 2 days. I was updated to 4.3 earlier last week, wonder if the issue is software related.

I opened a ticket with Tesla service in CA and my local service manager responded within a couple hours...on a Saturday night, then did a follow up Easter morning! What other car company will correspond with you on a Sunday morning holiday, awesome service as usual! Thanks Dave!

My driver's door handle stopped responding Saturday. It would extend but not open,

Once and only once, my drivers door would not open when I tugged on the handle. I attributed it to the fact that I might have started tugging before the handle had full extended. Locked / Unlocked and all was well. Fingers crossed it was "user error" and nothing more serious.

Our driver side door handle stopped presenting its self three days after delivery. Seattle service center replaced it last Friday. Was a great excuse to force us to drive the car over 300 miles in one day. We had wonderful weather and the service team was simply effective and pleasant. We enjoyed the trip enough that we have forgotten about the malfunctioning door handle.

Still waiting for them to service the front passenger door. In the mean time I thought I'd post pics of what the door handle unit looks like and what the door without the panel looks like. The door handle module is a large heavy unit with a motor in it. Very clever. But also very problematic in my version of the car. Now the second one that needs to be replaced.
photo 1-2.JPG
photo 2-2.JPG

Just this am my left rear door won't open: handles pop out, but cant get the door open. Opens from the inside just fine. I've had the car since Feb and have over 3000mi on it and this is my first issue... thanks for all the info in the thread...looks like I'll need to get it fixed... I wonder too if my son pulled on it before the handle was fully popped out. Kind of a pain as I have 2 kids that need to get in and out...

Still waiting for them to service the front passenger door. In the mean time I thought I'd post pics of what the door handle unit looks like and what the door without the panel looks like. The door handle module is a large heavy unit with a motor in it. Very clever. But also very problematic in my version of the car. Now the second one that needs to be replaced. View attachment 19523View attachment 19524

Not worried that Tesla might void your warranty?/

I'm very late to this thread. A few days ago, a friend was leaning against the passenger front door as I approached the car. The handle tried to extend and seemed to jam. He tried several times to get the door open, but I ended up opening it with the inside handle. After that, the handle was extended, but the door was locked for outside opening. I've look at it several times and have tried to push and pull on the handle with no look. It looks like the handle is over extended about an eighth of an inch.

I called Ownership and they gave my information to the Costa Mesa service center. They called me this a.m. and we set up an appointment.

This noon, just before going to lunch I got the message that the latest software upgrade was available. While at lunch I did the upgrade.
When I came out to the car, the handle had retracted and now works normally. What appeared to be a mechanical jam must have been a software glitch.

I'll still be going in the the service center, as I still need a tire rotation and the piece of chrome (with the name TESLA on it) and plastic (condensation issue) on back replaced.

I have had a software glitch too, with my left passenger door. The handle would extend, but the light was not on, and you couldn't open it from the outside. Opening from inside worked fine.

Pulling fuses didn't help. Locking and unlocking with the fob didn't help. Rebooting the computers didn't help. But in my case, just going to settings, turning off auto-present and lock on walkaway, then turning them back on worked. It sure seemed like hardware, but really was a software glitch. Upgrading the firmware could well have reset it.

Interesting that yours happened as somebody was leaning on it, though. Perhaps the software glitch only happens after it gets some bad reading from hardware?

Last edited:
I have had a software glitch too, with my left passenger door. The handle would extend, but the light was not on, and you couldn't open it from the outside. Opening from inside worked fine.

Pulling fuses didn't help. Locking and unlocking with the fob didn't help. There was some other idea on the forums that didn't help. But in my case, just going to settings, turning off auto-present and lock on walkaway, then turning them back on worked. It sure seemed like hardware, but really was a software glitch. Upgrading the firmware could well have reset it.

Interesting that yours happened as somebody was leaning on it, though. Perhaps the software glitch only happens after it gets some bad reading from hardware?

I have the same issue described here, except the lights don't come on. The issue with the handles exists on both the driver's side front and rear. I tried the fuse reset trick with no result.

I just happened to get the software update notification in the car this morning, but I'll wait until I get the okay from the Service Centre to go ahead and try the upgrade before running it. I have a sneaking suspicion that the fact the handle lights don't illuminate, dismiss software as the issue.

Pulling fuses didn't help. Locking and unlocking with the fob didn't help. Rebooting the computers didn't help. But in my case, just going to settings, turning off auto-present and lock on walkaway, then turning them back on worked. It sure seemed like hardware, but really was a software glitch. Upgrading the firmware could well have reset it.

This has happened to me a couple of times, so I emailed my service center to see what they thought - the workaround is really easy, but it's still kind of embarrassing to have a passenger stuck outside the car. It's clearly at least partly software given that it can be fixed by changing settings; but they feel that the old handles (I have VIN 112) are susceptible to microswitch glitches that can cause the software to get in to this state. They recommend I come in to get a set of new handles. My wife is off climbing Kilamanjaro, so hey, why not...she won't miss the car for a day.

I just had this glitch as well. My rear left door has suddenly stopped working. It extends, but you cannot open with it from the outside. I have tried rebooting, deselecting and selecting extend handles, none works. It just won't open. I think I am going to have to call ownership and see what they say...