Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors left unlocked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason when my wife drives the Tesla and departs the car I get a warning in the app that the car doors are unlocked.

Have asked her if she manually unlocks the doors for some reason when she leaves and she says no, she just leaves the car not expecting to have to lock it.

Any idea why this would happen? Is there some sort of setting for it that maybe defaults when her profile is used?

If you put the car in Park (and have Unlock on Park enabled) but don't exit the vehicle for 5 or 10 minutes, it won't allow the car to lock on exit. My wife is always on the phone so she will sometimes reach her destination, put the car in park and spend the next 10+ minutes finishing up a call. Her delayed exit triggers the unlocked door notification to my phone.

IMO, this shouldn't happen because the car is able to sense if anyone is sitting on a seat (inside the car). In other words, Tesla should fix this - since there is no reason to worry about unlocked doors if someone is still known to be inside.

If it is happening every time she exits, also make sure the "Walk-Away Door Lock" feature is enabled in her specific driver profile.

Last edited:
If you put the car in Park (and have Unlock on Park enabled) but don't exit the vehicle for 5 or 10 minutes, it won't allow the car to lock on exit. My wife is always on the phone so she will sometimes reach her destination, put the car in park and spend the next 10+ minutes finishing up a call. Her delayed exit triggers the unlocked door notification to my phone.

IMO, this shouldn't happen because the car is able to sense if anyone is sitting on a seat (inside the car). In other words, Tesla should fix this - since there is no reason to worry about unlocked doors if someone is still known to be inside.

If it is happening every time she exits, also make sure the "Walk-Away Door Lock" feature is enabled in her specific driver profile.

Just checked, she has that feature on. Doesn't seem to happen every time either, nor is she sitting in the vehicle. I told her to ensure she clicks on the lock doors button every time. A hassle I guess, but she doesn't drive it that often.

I usually open the door and hit lock on the screen before getting out. I like the instant confirmation that it’s locked. I wish there was a way to trigger locking outside from the door handle or the B pillar like on every other car with keyless access.

The walk away door lock doesn’t trigger until like 20-30 ft from the car and I don’t want to constantly look back or have to check the app to see if it locked. The lock confirmation sound sounds cheap to me so I have it off and it’s not very loud anyways.

I actually wonder if it has to do with the wonkiness in the phone app ever since a few updates ago. I'd say 50% of the time, I need to unlock my phone and manually enter the (already open in the background) Tesla app to open the door. Literally just happened coming home from a lunch meeting. Maybe it's not registering my wife's phone as she exits the car?

Though, I don't think it's ever happened to me when I left the car like it happens to my wife, at least I don't recall ever getting a left the door unlocked notification.

Reactions: Nolakai
Went to grocery store today and didn't hear the horn beep as I walked away so I locked the doors with the app. The horn beeped and lights flashed. Upon exiting the store the car was unlocked. Windows were all up, doors appeared to be closed. The car is set to lock upon exit. Is it possible that the doors can be shut but not latched properly to cause this or is there something I'm missing?