Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors not locked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Friday my MY doors didn't lock. I was busy with moving items from my MY to my partner's M3 that I didn't realize my car didn't lock. I received a call from the police saying someone reported suspicious activity in my car. They took my air freshener and a pendant I had hanging on the rearview mirror. Luckily they didn't take my parking passes or my work ID and didn't do any damage inside or outside. I guess my MY doesn't auto lock if the app is on the M3? What functions would someone have if they entered an unlocked Tesla without keys?

There are also cases where if you unlocked the car with the key card it won't autolock the next time.

Recommend turning on the walk away beep to help know if it locked or not in the future.

I bought the fob for my 3 and just use that.

@Watts_Up I was parked outside, not in a garage. Would be useful if I had my own garage instead of having to park outside or in a public garage.

@Az_Rael Yes, I have that option turned on but I can't justify to get the FOB just yet. Spent too much on accessories, lol.

@DaveORD Yes, I turned on the PIN for both to drive and glovebox in case.

Thanks for all your input, can't blame anyone but myself for being careless. Still learning as I go.

@Watts_Up I was parked outside, not in a garage. Would be useful if I had my own garage instead of having to park outside or in a public garage.

@Az_Rael Yes, I have that option turned on but I can't justify to get the FOB just yet. Spent too much on accessories, lol.

@DaveORD Yes, I turned on the PIN for both to drive and glovebox in case.

Thanks for all your input, can't blame anyone but myself for being careless. Still learning as I go.
I may have missed this, but the implication was that you were at the location the MY identifies as "Home". I don't think it knows if you are in a garage or not, just that you are at the GPS location it calls home.

I notice that when my car is at home, it behaves differently that when I am out and about. When I am out, the MY beeps when I leave when I return I have to disable and reenable Bluetooth to repair and unlock the car. (This is possibly because I have battery saver mode turned on my android phone, Every other device I have reconnects automatically. Its a pain in the butt, and only happens on the Tesla.) In any case when I am at home, it still beeps when I leave, but the apps shows as being connected to the Tesla and I will need to test, but I don't believe it locks the doors as I can always open them when I walk up to it in our garage. Our house is big enough, that I am not in Bluetooth range all of the time, but I am within WiFi range so perhaps that impacts the connectivity. You may want to test this out.

@73Bruin The parking spot is across the street from my building and too far away to be in wifi range. I also can't leave my phone in my back pocket, I have to have it up close to the key card sensor area to be able to unlock my doors. I tried again today and in the Tesla app I had to have my car selected for the walk-away lock to work, which makes sense.

@73Bruin The parking spot is across the street from my building and too far away to be in wifi range. I also can't leave my phone in my back pocket, I have to have it up close to the key card sensor area to be able to unlock my doors. I tried again today and in the Tesla app I had to have my car selected for the walk-away lock to work, which makes sense.
I reread your OP again and saw the part about your partners M3 which I kind of ignored the first time (in terms of the impact of having 2 Teslas near each other when you lock or unlock them). I don't know enough to comment on how the app functions with 2 cars. Sorry for the misleading post

Your experience unlocking the car is completely different from mine. IMO, you should not have to have the phone that close to the card-key sensor for it to open the car.

I reread your OP again and saw the part about your partners M3 which I kind of ignored the first time (in terms of the impact of having 2 Teslas near each other when you lock or unlock them). I don't know enough to comment on how the app functions with 2 cars. Sorry for the misleading post

Your experience unlocking the car is completely different from mine. IMO, you should not have to have the phone that close to the card-key sensor for it to open the car.
Yeah weird that my phone needs to be that close. Perhaps the Tesla is asleep? Or poor bluetooth signal maybe? At least I know that I need to be prepared when getting to my car - have my phone ready.