Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors not opening fully first thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I get the Raven MX out of the garage I use summon as the garage is a tight fit. When the car is fully out if I open the trunk or the FWD’s they never open to their full extent but only about half way. At all other times wherever I am, even back home again they open properly unless an obstacle is detected. Can anybody explain this odd behaviour please? I have checked that my FWD opening setting is fully open and can’t see anything else to check.

Thanks, Tony

I have a similar issue on my Raven X. But I have not tested going out and back again and tested outside the garage. But they half open near the garage but open fully when I'm away from garage. It acts as if it's in the garage which is a low ceiling.

Reactions: Tonybvi
Can anybody explain this odd behaviour please?
It is trivially, if not very satisfactorially explained: software bug. Some flag or some register gets set when you are in the tight garage which doesn't get cleared. The fix is to notify Tesla so they can change the code to prevent this. Otherwise you might try pushing the lock button on the fob and then trying to open again to see if that clears this flag or if the new open command will trigger the sensors to look for obstructions again. Or just push the doors manually. That's what I do when they don't open fully.

Reactions: Tonybvi
It is trivially, if not very satisfactorially explained: software bug. Some flag or some register gets set when you are in the tight garage which doesn't get cleared. The fix is to notify Tesla so they can change the code to prevent this. Otherwise you might try pushing the lock button on the fob and then trying to open again to see if that clears this flag or if the new open command will trigger the sensors to look for obstructions again. Or just push the doors manually. That's what I do when they don't open fully.

Pushing the rear hatch up is fine. But How do you “push” a FWD up that is partially open?

Just push. There is more resistance than with the rear door but you can get them fully open this way. Note that I am talking about the situation where they are quite far open - just not as far as you like. I am not talking about a situation where they open an inch or two and stop.

I do not remember seeing a warning that this shouldn't be done. But if any one else has, please post!

When I first got my X, the "hold the button" method didn't work due to some problem with my sensors, so it was a long time before I learned how the doors are supposed to work. When you are outside of your garage and they stop low, you only have to hit the open button again to open them fully so long as no obstacle detection is displayed in the MCU. If obstacle detection is displayed in the MCU, you only have to hold the open buttons for them to slowly open until opened fully so long as you don't release the button. There's seldom a need to suffer the embarrassment or potential strain involved in manually lifting them.

ETA: Be advised that there will be a loud beep emitted from the FWD speakers before they start moving slowly when holding the buttons while obstacle detection is displayed.

When I first got my X,... There's seldom a need to suffer the embarrassment or potential strain involved in manually lifting them.
Didn't know any of that. Probably plainly stated in the manual.
I'm old enough that I don't embarrass very easily and fumbling in my pocket for the fob is a PITA so I'll probably just continue to push. It's not that hard. Not to mention the fact that the next time it comes up I will have long forgotten this post!

Didn't know any of that. Probably plainly stated in the manual.
I'm old enough that I don't embarrass very easily and fumbling in my pocket for the fob is a PITA so I'll probably just continue to push. It's not that hard. Not to mention the fact that the next time it comes up I will have long forgotten this post!
Not with the fob, probably couldn't open them further with the fob. You would press the open button on the inside of the pillar instead of lifting on the door, alternatively, if you are in the vehicle, you would press the open button on the MCU instead of getting out.

Reactions: mswlogo