Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors opens by itself during driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three possible options, none of which have anything to do with the firmware (the doors are mechanically actuated by pulling on the handles).

1) The latch failed
2) You didn't fully close the door
3) Aliens

It's hard to admit to ourselves, but human error is the most likely cause here. I'm not accusing you of being an idiot — everybody knows how to close a door, after all — but you also know that Model S doors require a bit of force to fully close. You know you closed the door fully, or at least you think you did — our brains are great at filling in the details of stuff we weren't really paying attention to with what fits our preconceived expectations (this is what makes eyewitness testimony so unreliable), and something as simple, repetitive, and non-thinking as closing the door gets filled in every time it happens as expected.

I'd not worry unless you're noticing parts of the latch that seem worn or damaged, unnatural movement of the door when opening or closing, looseness when closed, or (obviously) it happens again.

Or it was aliens.

Reactions: croman
Three possible options, none of which have anything to do with the firmware (the doors are mechanically actuated by pulling on the handles).

1) The latch failed
2) You didn't fully close the door
3) Aliens

It's hard to admit to ourselves, but human error is the most likely cause here. I'm not accusing you of being an idiot — everybody knows how to close a door, after all — but you also know that Model S doors require a bit of force to fully close. You know you closed the door fully, or at least you think you did — our brains are great at filling in the details of stuff we weren't really paying attention to with what fits our preconceived expectations (this is what makes eyewitness testimony so unreliable), and something as simple, repetitive, and non-thinking as closing the door gets filled in every time it happens as expected.

I'd not worry unless you're noticing parts of the latch that seem worn or damaged, unnatural movement of the door when opening or closing, looseness when closed, or (obviously) it happens again.

Or it was aliens.
Highly doubt any of the reasons you stated. The car was fine and then it opened automatically and the warning came on saying door is open. The waening didnt go away until I open and close the door properly. So this rules out not closing properly before. Latch might have failed but I was able to still use the door fine after I closed it properly.

I am just worries if this is going to be a common thing. Ill ask the service center to look at it. But since this is the first time, it might be hard to reproduce at the service center.

I have seen at least another thread on this happening to someone. I will say that sometimes I think when we close the doors getting out it doesn't sound like it was closed hard enough but hubby is able to lock the doors and says their closed. But never had it open on us while driving.

I had this happen to me at an intersection, I was waiting at the light and there was a loud unlatch sound and an alarm chime. Scared the daylights out of me. I looked at the error and it said "Driver Door Open". The door was fully sealed and locked prior to departure, and I had been driving for about 15 minutes prior to the door opening.

I called Tesla Service and they sent a ranger to replace the offending door handle a few days later in my own driveway. It took less than an hour to get the repair done.

Definitely call Tesla, they will replace the handle for you. I have never had an issue of this nature after the repair.

Good luck!

Anyone else have this issue. I was driving around 40mph and the door just opened by itself. At a red light ibwas able to open it and close it.

This happened after receiving the new firmware.

Anyone else experience this problem? Should I contact tesla about this issue?
I had a loaner car earlier this week. It happened about 50% of the time when the doors unlocked on the front passenger door. There must have been something in the door handle mechanism that was indicating "open" and, as soon as the door unlocked, it did.

I was happy to give that car back. On an unrelated note - didn't Elon say way-back-when that loaner cars would be the newest, best-optioned cars? Every time I get one it seems to be in rougher shape than the previous. Besides the door problem, this one (P85+ with only 15k miles on it) had severe backlash in the DU and was extremely noisy.

I had a loaner car earlier this week. It happened about 50% of the time when the doors unlocked on the front passenger door. There must have been something in the door handle mechanism that was indicating "open" and, as soon as the door unlocked, it did.

If the door handle is failing/out of spec, when it extends (car placed into Park) it can hit the microswitch and unlatch the door. A known issue, especially on older S.

• Informative
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
So this just happened to me as well. Took delivery of a brand new MS last week. Driver's side front door unlatched while driving over the weekend. Today the trunk opened by itself while I was on the highway, but luckily it decided to close itself after about 12 seconds. Called service and they are looking into it and told me to come by tomorrow.