TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Doors unlocking to key fob increasingly unresponsive!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlucero, Mar 11, 2016.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

What used to work is now so insensitive! I have key fob out and attack the doors and still the doors don't unlock. I need to press the button to unlock. What does this mean? Battery power low? I've only had car for six months!

2. murphyS85

murphyS85 Member

My car did that when the keyfob receiver became deaf. Can you open your trunk or frunk from 75 feet away?

Before mine was repaired, with a new receiver and antenna, I had trouble opening the frunk with the fob held right in front of the nosecone.
    I can now open it from 75 feet away.

3. jlucero

jlucero Member

how did you repair it? did you take to a service center?

No, i cant open trunk from 75 feet away.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

have you considered replacing the battery in the FOB?

5. jlucero

jlucero Member

no not yet...im not even sure how to open the key fob :)

6. murphyS85

murphyS85 Member

It was repaired at the SC. It took 4 days because they didn't have the part in stock.

7. TezlaCurler

TezlaCurler Member

I just received my car 3 days ago and was experiencing problems with door handles presenting when the fob was in my pocket. What I found was that if my phone was too close to the fob, the car wouldn't find it. Making sure my fob is in one jacket pocket and my phone is in the other resolved the issue.

8. Tabarnouche

Tabarnouche Member

From the car manual:

"Radio equipment on a similar frequency canaffect the key. If this happens, move the key atleast one foot (30 cm) away from otherelectronic devices (phone, laptop, etc). If thekey does not work, you may need to changeits battery. If the key’s battery is discharged,you can open Model S by following theunlocking procedure (see Unlocking When theKey Doesn't Work on page 7)."

9. jlucero

jlucero Member

well in my case, im physically taking key out and putting it in my hand and im 2 feet from the car with no response. another random time, i was jogging near my car with the key fob in my pocket and it unlocked the door. its just inconsistent!

10. Lex

Lex Member

I have to wiggle my fob (from inside left pocket) closer to trigger an unlock sometimes, and then again a pants pocket wiggle when driving (ID card, change, and fob all in left pocket seems to be a bad combo).

Also it could be outside interference eg. legendary story here:
    an important note about the key fob and RF interference.

11. PaulR

PaulR Member

Had to move my BMW key fob to the other pocket as it interfered with the Tesla fob. Door handle presenting was unreliable and the charge port door would not open half the time. When I moved the BMW key to the other pocket it cleared up and now the handles and the charge port door work flawlessly.... RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) is a problem. Also had to move my cell phone holster away from that pocket as well.

12. mrjwen

mrjwen Member

I'm having the same issue with one of my fobs. Because of that I was convinced that it was an issue with the particular fob so I took it to the SC and they didn't find any problems with it. They replaced the battery as a courtesy, but I'm not really noticing an improvement.
    Are you all having the problem with both fobs or just one?

13. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I've seen this also for the last 10 - 15 days and I've replaced the batteries in both our fobs. Something has changed very recently.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mine works the same way it always has.

15. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I keep my fob on a lanyard around my neck. When I approach the car from any angle around 5-10 feet away the handls present all the time. And I can open the trunk from 75 feet away. However when the fob is an a pocket it become far less reliable.