Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors unlocking to key fob increasingly unresponsive!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What used to work is now so insensitive! I have key fob out and attack the doors and still the doors don't unlock. I need to press the button to unlock. What does this mean? Battery power low? I've only had car for six months!

What used to work is now so insensitive! I have key fob out and attack the doors and still the doors don't unlock. I need to press the button to unlock. What does this mean? Battery power low? I've only had car for six months!

My car did that when the keyfob receiver became deaf. Can you open your trunk or frunk from 75 feet away?

Before mine was repaired, with a new receiver and antenna, I had trouble opening the frunk with the fob held right in front of the nosecone.
I can now open it from 75 feet away.

I just received my car 3 days ago and was experiencing problems with door handles presenting when the fob was in my pocket. What I found was that if my phone was too close to the fob, the car wouldn't find it. Making sure my fob is in one jacket pocket and my phone is in the other resolved the issue.

From the car manual:

"Radio equipment on a similar frequency canaffect the key. If this happens, move the key atleast one foot (30 cm) away from otherelectronic devices (phone, laptop, etc). If thekey does not work, you may need to changeits battery. If the key’s battery is discharged,you can open Model S by following theunlocking procedure (see Unlocking When theKey Doesn't Work on page 7)."

well in my case, im physically taking key out and putting it in my hand and im 2 feet from the car with no response. another random time, i was jogging near my car with the key fob in my pocket and it unlocked the door. its just inconsistent!

Had to move my BMW key fob to the other pocket as it interfered with the Tesla fob. Door handle presenting was unreliable and the charge port door would not open half the time. When I moved the BMW key to the other pocket it cleared up and now the handles and the charge port door work flawlessly.... RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) is a problem. Also had to move my cell phone holster away from that pocket as well.

I'm having the same issue with one of my fobs. Because of that I was convinced that it was an issue with the particular fob so I took it to the SC and they didn't find any problems with it. They replaced the battery as a courtesy, but I'm not really noticing an improvement.
Are you all having the problem with both fobs or just one?