Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors won’t lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed 2022.36.6 about a week ago (while I was overseas). Today my cruise control won’t work at all. My car wouldn’t lock either. Multiple resets didn’t help. I slammed all my doors shut and now it locked. I have a SC appointment in a week and a half for a rattle so will bring it up with them if it doesn’t fix.
This is the response I got from service. The work around seems to be holding up

Attachments

• 9CF6A916-0108-416D-9CA6-AE5E367FEDAB.jpeg
    9CF6A916-0108-416D-9CA6-AE5E367FEDAB.jpeg
    472.1 KB · Views: 318
I had to ever so slightly adjust the door latch on The Blue Bunny, the 2022 M3SR+ a year ago for the same problem. Intermittently the car thought the door was open. No problem since.

I got 2022.36.6 last weekend on The Blue Bunny. All radio and music play favorites are gone. Seems like it did this when it updated the last time. No help from Tesla.

So yesterday I got 2022.36.6 on The Good Ship Venus, the 2022 LR. All was good except I could not use voice controls or control my phone. "No Device Found". Played with it rebooting and reloading the car and my phone. No soap. Figured I would deal with it today, but when I fired it up this morning, it was working.
Something must happen overnight after an update.

Got upgrade to 2022.40.4 in my 2022 SLR. No longer unlocks when I approach.
Could not open trunk. Door handles don't respond when touched.
Hope there is an update coming soon.
Have you tried rebooting the screen, then restarting your phone? Also, you may want to power down the entire car and restart everything, and let it sit overnight and think about things. I rebooted the screen (yes, I know, that happens during an update), and then left the car overnight to contemplate its sins.
Sure enough, the next morning, all was sunshine and right with the world.
Some say it is computers. I say it is FM. The second word is "Magic".
OBTW, where I work, with over 175 PC type servers and PCs, Over 90% of the calls for service I get are resolved with a reboot and a reseating of network connectors. THat's just the way the world works nowadays.

This happened to me today. I had the car washed by the guy up the street (let him have the key card ) when I got it back I noticed that one mirror was folded and one not. I tried locking both in the car and on the app nothing worked. I did a reset still nothing. Tried opening and slamming the doors shut and that seems to have worked.
Something I will have to watch out for.

Reactions: drdumont
This happened to me today. I had the car washed by the guy up the street (let him have the key card ) when I got it back I noticed that one mirror was folded and one not. I tried locking both in the car and on the app nothing worked. I did a reset still nothing. Tried opening and slamming the doors shut and that seems to have worked.
Something I will have to watch out for.
You likely have a door latch or sensor which needs adjusting. I had to adjust my driver's door latch shortly after I got The Good Ship Venus. One strike of a dead blow hammer. Been fine ever since.

I have had similar issue today…I checked every door was completely closed and when I try to lock it from my app, it would just beep but won’t lock, might raise a service request..just posting here to show that’s it’s happening to a lot of people lately…after the last software update

• Informative
Reactions: drdumont
This just happened to me...first time ever. Googled and found this post.

Nothing changed and I know all "my settings" were correct. Couldn't lock with App or Key card and walk away lock obviously didn't work.

I had to go around and shut all the doors "hard" and then...walk away lock worked again/as normal.

No idea why this started happening.

Last edited:
A long long time ago, I can still remember when cars had a clunky sliding contact sensor in the door jamb to determine whether or not a door was ajar.

1668134615522.png

But modern cars don't use such clumsiness, they simply put a sensor on the latch itself to determine whether or not the latch is latched - they don't care about the state of the door, just the state of the latch. Note that both doors are open in this pic but I've latched the latches to fool the system:

1668135061088.png

So I'm surprised that people are finding a need to *slam* the doors to rectify this software glitch. I can understand needing to cycle every door, but not to slam them. The latch and latch sensor shouldn't care how hard you slam the door - it's either latched or it's not.

A long long time ago, I can still remember when cars had a clunky sliding contact sensor in the door jamb to determine whether or not a door was ajar.

View attachment 873397

But modern cars don't use such clumsiness, they simply put a sensor on the latch itself to determine whether or not the latch is latched - they don't care about the state of the door, just the state of the latch. Note that both doors are open in this pic but I've latched the latches to fool the system:

View attachment 873405

So I'm surprised that people are finding a need to *slam* the doors to rectify this software glitch. I can understand needing to cycle every door, but not to slam them. The latch and latch sensor shouldn't care how hard you slam the door - it's either latched or it's not.
I don't know if this is true of Model X/S, but Model 3s have a semi-latched state. If you close the door lightly, the door can be in this state (where it is not fully latched, but the door animation doesn't show it as ajar and it doesn't open unless you unlatch it again). The door will have a slight gap in this stage. Those of us that have had a door stuck on the door seal have experienced this state more, where with bumps on the road it's possible for the door sensors to show again it as ajar (and warning message pops out), but at no point is door in danger of actually popping open.

Another easy way to put it is in this state is to park 90 degrees on a steep hill. If you press the door handle on the uphill side (but don't pull on it), it will pop the door out and not fully unlatch (nor is it fully closed).

Last edited:
I have similar experience however in addition to locking issue my driver door throws error manual latch used. When door is open car visual on screen shows it closed. Window randomly goes up and down. Have service request in

Had the same issue. After reading through this post, I opened and slammed all doors and the front and rear trunk. Then I got in the car and locked it from inside, then got out and walked away. The car locked as soon as I was far enough away with my bluetooth iPhone. Thanks for the help, guys! I spent about an hour trying everything I could think of only to have the car beep 3 times and not stay locked with the app or keycard.