Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors won’t lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I noticed that today, my doors won’t lock. Auto lock doesn’t work (checked settings to make sure it was on) and even locking it through the App doesn’t work. Made sure the app is connected cause I can do Sentry Live. If I click “lock” it will go to lock, then unlock in 5 seconds.

I soft rebooted(holding the 2 wheel buttons) and checked to see if seat belt symbol was on. I don’t see any other issues. Recently upgraded to 36.6 but it locked yesterday. Any other troubleshooting I can do?

Reactions: MarkeR2002
Even with home excluded it should still lock if you manually command it to lock thru the app or keycard. Note that it can be hard to tell if the car is actually locked unless you disable bluetooth on every keycard-enabled phone within range.

Sounds like OP's car is detecting an open door or something that's preventing it from locking.

Please let us know what you end up finding out the issue is. I have been following along on this one because at first I thought it was proximity to an excluded location, which was already mentioned by a couple of posters but it sounds like thats not it.

Im curious to what it ends up being. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

So work around to actually locking my car, I have to park, then manually lock the car on the screen then exit.

That kept it locked while I left. I tested again by using the app to unlock, and it did, but when I tried to lock it again through the app, it failed.

Reactions: XPsionic
Please let us know what you end up finding out the issue is. I have been following along on this one because at first I thought it was proximity to an excluded location, which was already mentioned by a couple of posters but it sounds like thats not it.

Im curious to what it ends up being. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
This has been fixed! I dont know how to edit my original post, but this is what happened.

I randomly saw another post saying that one time it wouldnt auto unlock cause their doors were open. So I went around the car, opened every door, and slammed it shut. Then walked away and it locked!

This morning, I had opened my passenger side door to put in a bag, but didnt close it all the way. I went to the driver side door, opened it from the INSIDE and then slammed it shut. The car said all doors were closed when I started my drive. I dont know if maybe it was hard enough to detect that it was closed or maybe the software glitched for a second. But if anyone has this issue on 36.6, just cycle every single thing on your car.

This has been fixed! I dont know how to edit my original post, but this is what happened.

I randomly saw another post saying that one time it wouldnt auto unlock cause their doors were open. So I went around the car, opened every door, and slammed it shut. Then walked away and it locked!

This morning, I had opened my passenger side door to put in a bag, but didnt close it all the way. I went to the driver side door, opened it from the INSIDE and then slammed it shut. The car said all doors were closed when I started my drive. I dont know if maybe it was hard enough to detect that it was closed or maybe the software glitched for a second. But if anyone has this issue on 36.6, just cycle every single thing on your car.
That's exactly what happened to mine and how I fixed it. Good to hear that you already got it done.

It happened to us this morning. Call customer service. The rep said its a known issue to Tesla and opening all doors(sometimes frunk and trunk) the closing them can temporarily solve the issue. The engineers are working on the software glitch!
I did a service request and someone said they were going to remotely check. After an hour he said to continue with my service appt. Wonder how many people know about it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I just got off the phone with Tesla service. They had me open all doors, then close all doors. It has fixed the problem of the car not locking when I walk away. It may only be a temporary fix, but this problem has been escalated in the Tesla system and we should expect a software upgrade fix. The problem started with the last software update

This just started happening to MY after I installed 2022.36.6 yesterday.
Tried the open/closing all doors and it hasn’t worked.
Have a service request.
I installed 2022.36.6 about a week ago (while I was overseas). Today my cruise control won’t work at all. My car wouldn’t lock either. Multiple resets didn’t help. I slammed all my doors shut and now it locked. I have a SC appointment in a week and a half for a rattle so will bring it up with them if it doesn’t fix.

I can't speak to the software update aspect, but the car not locking has been brought up many times over the years in here. When I got my 2019 I'd periodically have this "issue," but it always ended up being a door every so slightly not being completely closed(but closed enough for both the App and car to not signal that it was open.
Specifically, it was always one of my kids not closing the door hard enough. I am surprised at how forceful you have to be.