Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dorn's Body and Pain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sethr

CPO Roadster #1089
Mar 24, 2013
Fairfax, VA
My thread title is not a mistake - it's what shows on my caller ID when they call, and boy, is that the truth! Dorn's Body and Paint in Mechanicsville, VA is approved by Tesla, and is a "select service provider" with my insurer. That is a mystification to me. I will just post a cut and paste copy of my Yelp review for your edification:

Looking at other reviews, maybe I just had really, REALLY bad luck, but my experience with Dorn's "repairing" my Tesla Roadster was HORRENDOUS!!! Firstly, it took from September 15th to November 29th. But much more important, a number of things were done wrong and/or contrary to the way I asked. One big thing is that I asked that if the paint was a good match, that no paint protection film be removed. The body damage was just in front of the rear wheel, an area without film, but they were talking about "blending" the paint forward, to the door, rocker panel and sill, which has much needed paint protection film. I explained that this area was very vulnerable to gravel being kicked up by the front wheels. He said he knew that. He said he would not remove the film if he could get a good paint match. Fast forward - they removed the film, despite stating they matched the paint "perfectly" (his word). The excuse for needlessly removing the protective film and blending was "it's an industry standard". But it WASN'T NECESSARY! Why would you possibly need to "blend" the paint if it's a perfect match? Then there was the rear tire. A piece of the car that hit me ruined the wheel and was wedged between the wheel and the tire. They stated two separate times to me that the tire was replaced with a new one. I was concerned that different tread depths (well worn on one side, new on the other) would be a problem, and asked the insurance company to replace the other for safety reasons. After a couple of weeks Dorn's then stated the tire had NOT been replaced! How can you not know what you have done or not done?! Since my Tesla Roadster is an electric car, I told them at the outset that it needed to be plugged in when exposed to any heat during the paint drying process so the system could cool the battery and protect it. At various times, I was told it would be plugged in, that the damaged parts would be removed from the car and painted/dried separately, that the "battery loop" was DISCONNECTED (on the insurance company's list of things done) and they that they "monitored" the battery temperature. I don't know what was really done. When the final insurance inspection was done on November 18th, I was told that they just had to buff and detail the car. That took 10 days!!!! And when I finally got the car back, it was certainly NOT detailed! Unless you think removing PAINT OVERSPRAY from (all) the windows isn't part of detailing. I noticed also that the charge port door seemed misaligned. After driving a few times and opening and closing the charge port to recharge, it CAME OFF!!!! Turns out (they admitted this to my insurance company when questioned) that they broke it and instead of getting a replacement GLUED it back on. Also, the backup camera is now partially pointed at the bumper, resulting in an incomplete view. By the way, even though there were 10 days between the final bill to the insurance co., the time when they were supposedly "buffing and detailing", somehow no paperwork was done, that took more than half the day on the day it was "ready", resulting in having to wait until the next day to get my car back. Why didn't they do the paperwork in advance? Dorn's is an approved Tesla body shop, and a "select service" shop according to the insurance company. NO idea how they got approved by either, but I SURE DON'T THINK THEY DESERVE IT!!!!! Not from how I was treated, between poor and (I'll be charitable here): inaccurate communication, ignoring my wishes, gluing parts. Plus, I have ZERO confidence in the safety of my car now. How do I know OTHER mistakes weren't made? What other (still hidden) damage is there? They "removed and inspected" all sorts of critical parts, including the roll bar and the suspension. Were bolts tightened properly? Is anything else glued, or not properly replaced/repaired? What about the tire that was "carefully inspected" and put back after all? Is it really OK or is it more like the charge port cover? And all sorts of other parts were "removed and inspected", many at the opposite end of the car from the impact. Maybe the rest is OK, maybe not. Who knows?

When they call, the caller ID says "Body and Pain" (no room for the "t" in paint, I guess) but it sure seems accurate to me.

So that's my review. I hope anyone unfortunate to be in an accident will take note of my experience. BTW, I was informed that Tesla is in the process of certifying a number of new body shops, so there will hopefully be better choices in the near future. Drive safely!

For your reference the charge port door IS GLUED ON. No bolts, meaning "glue" is the proper repair. Maybe it didn't set right and the adhesive wasn't fully cured. I have heard of dozens of people going there and this is the first negative experience I heave heard before. Sorry to hear of the bad experience with them.

Reactions: jthompson
For your reference the charge port door IS GLUED ON. No bolts, meaning "glue" is the proper repair. Maybe it didn't set right and the adhesive wasn't fully cured. I have heard of dozens of people going there and this is the first negative experience I heave heard before. Sorry to hear of the bad experience with them.

Looking at the door, it looks to me that the black rectangular piece is glued, but there also seem to be five rivet or screw holes there, too, attaching it to the arm. Here's a photo:

DSC_6304.jpeg

In any case, Tesla is ordering a new charge port door.

I reviewed Dorn's in another thread.

They did a pretty decent job replacing my door.

My main issue was discovered after I got the car back, the door had a lot of holograms from the buffing - they did a poor job. But it was only visible under direct sunlight, that and I was having my car detailed soon, I didn't bring it to their attention.

That and communication could have been better.

If I ever had to, I'd use them again.

Last edited:
Update - Since my review, Tony reached out to me and apologized and explained a few things. He offered to do additional work, but they're too far away, and besides, Tesla can repair the charge port door. I still wish they hadn't removed the paint film, and they really need to communicate better. The inspector from State Farm noticed that the rubber seal around the headlight is damaged: Dorn's removed and inspected it, dunno why since the damage was at the rear wheel, but I'm hoping Tesla can provide a new seal. She also noticed some (small) drips of clear coat. So, still far from happy, but since he apologized, I've moderated my review a bit, partly in exchange for a promise to give me the exact formula for the paint (something that is currently unknown: none of the colors available from Tesla or Lotus really match), which I will post in the Roadster technical section when he sends it.