Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DOT philosophical question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if some genius devised a diesel gen-set that could be mounted on a flat bed trailer to charge the battery on a an electric semi-truck so they could use the cheaper non-taxed off-road (red) farm diesel to move loads on public highways? Does Tesla have a position on the issue? It is technically more efficient this way as the generator would be loaded less than a comparable classic semi-truck engine, but I doubt the DOT would let that fly willingly (highways are expensive {and quite necessary}).

Interesting. Vacon (the Finnish inverter drive manufacturer) sells units as regulated DC busses that control with feedbacks from gen-sets match loads to the DC bus. Some custom group is gonna figure it out and do it sometime once its released. The battery will just be a big back up capacity (accumulator). This is still great progress as efficiencies will approach that of the railroad locomotive.

Oh man, I hope I'm not making this up in my head, but I could swear I remember hearing a year or so ago about small local delivery reefer box trucks that were doing this. Like those small unibody ones you see delivering flowers and such. Now I'm going to waste time grepping through browser history...

From my understanding of dyed fuel, the wholesaler needs to obtain paperwork from the end user certifying the usage. Since the end result is on-road use, the wholesaler should not sell this generating rig untaxed fuel.

At least in California, the DTFA audits these enterprises regularly. So perhaps the buyer might get away for a while. But we have a four-year statute. Once discovered, someone will have to cough up the tax, penalties, and interest.

It's not limited to trucks.
I've used blue diesel (farm diesel) in my regular vehicle when I was a student. That is easy thing to do illegally.
Though red diesel (at least here where I live) is for heating purposes and doesn't have lubrication properties for any injection pump/injectors. So I assume we talk about farm diesel.

BMW i3ReX is equipped with ICE that is used solely as generator. It could be diesel generator, that doesn't change anything.
It would be illegal to use farm diesel on roads as propulsive source, direct or indirect.
Though I can use blue diesel (or even red one) in my BMW as auxiliary heater fuel. I have stand-alone fuel burner to heat
the cabin as diesel engine is so efficient that it can't keep cabin warm enough in cold weather.

Tesla can monitor stuff. They will definitely have a call when they notice semi getting 99.9mpg:D

But charging semi truck at the farm with generator running on farm diesel:rolleyes: