TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dots above USB ports

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by B-Chicago, Jul 29, 2013.

1. B-Chicago

B-Chicago Member

Does anyone know what this circle of dots above the USB ports is for? My SC had no idea and said they just noticed the newer models had them, but didn't know why. They must be there for a reason. I am Vin 13,XXX.

Attached Files:

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is an opening for the internal vehicle temperature sensor. I've had cars with these (in various locations) in the past. There would be a small fan to draw air in and over a temp sensor. My car doesn't have this, and there have been issues reported about HVAC performance and internal temperature reporting (on the mobile app) that seem out of whack. Earlier cars may have just had a sensor with no fan, and would be susceptible to error from the temperature of the material it is attached to or is near to it radiating heat.

3. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I have 13201, with the hole. With the climate control on I can feel slight air current pulling into it. I think mknox is probably correct.

4. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

I read somewhere that the car's computer is here. That is why the armrests do not lift into storage. I agree that it can be some sort of ventilation but not really sure.

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Having seen the car in pieces at the factory (while it was shut down, so I could actually get up close and personal), I can tell you there's *nothing* below the armrests other than vents and the wires for the USB/12v. It's deceivingly full.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Wonder if someone could modify the sliding armrests so they hinge open, and mount some sort of storage bucket in this otherwise unused space?

7. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Sorry -- I meant to indicate there's no room for anything else in that armrest. It's very deceiving.

8. olanmills

olanmills Member

And I think cinergi was trying to say that there is no computer or anything like that there, just conduits (both for air and bits, lol).

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Ahhh... to bad, because it looks like a wasted opportunity for some much needed interior storage.

10. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

Opening for temperature sensor... Or a bee hive...

11. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

My MS60 does not have said holes.

12. B-Chicago

B-Chicago Member

I guess the beehive was a recent upgrade.

13. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

upgrade to what though? tis is the question ...

14. AC1K

AC1K Member

its a little fan, it spins with HVAC on and stops when HVAC is off. also there is a light behind the USB port, that light is NOT from my flashlight.

little fan.jpg

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

As I postulated earlier in this thread, it's an aspirator for the HVAC's internal temperature sensor.

16. JPP

JPP Active Member

OK--so for those of us who do not have the holes, do we not have the same electronics in the center console/armrest? Do we have an HVAC sensor there?

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

There has to be an HVAC temp sensor, but I think its location is a mystery. Every prior car I've owned with auto temp control has had an internal temp sensor with an aspirator except my Model S. I think the current sensor is buried somewhere and it gets "influenced" by the temperature of the materials surrounding it. I find that I have to keep my HVAC set at 68 or 69 degrees just to maintain comfort and my iPhone app will often show the car's internal temperature way higher than I know it to be. I think the addition of this aspirator will help.

18. B-Chicago

B-Chicago Member

I was just at the Chicago SC. They were not 100% sure but also thought it was the HVAC temp sensor and said previously it was located in the front dash somewhere. I was in a loaner with VIN 10k and no holes. My VIN is 13k with. Change was made sometime in that period.