Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double-charged by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, this is nuts. Hope it gets resolved sooner rather than later.... I told the Tesla delivery guy that I was going to bring in a cashier's check for the balance due and they were fine with it. This was after reading a few horror stories about this 'Plaid' group and having to give your banking login....

Is it Tesla, or Plaid? Thats what I would be wondering. Pretty big booboo happening here. I know Visa was trying to acquire Plaid and they got shot down by DOJ or something. Hope no one is trying to sabotage since the deal went south and Visa views Plaid as a threat.

Good luck to you guys who were scammed. I've seen Tesla take months to refund money to customers, and the amount was nowhere near this much. A large, influential business should take care of this asap. One customer? Maybe forgivable. But multiples?? And where is the Tesla customer service person who's supposed to be apologizing profusely to these customers? Oh right, "customer service" is not in the company's mission statement.

Clearly you don't know the definition of "scammed." Look it up.

This is nothing more than a software failure. Yes, a serious one, but hardly a deliberate attempt to defraud their newest customers.

I'm not being a "fanboy" here. I would be defending Ford, GM, Citibank, AMEX, etc, Y'all probably know that this sort of accidental overcharge happens every single day in big business. It's called a mistake, and is always corrected.

Clearly you don't know the definition of "scammed." Look it up.

This is nothing more than a software failure. Yes, a serious one, but hardly a deliberate attempt to defraud their newest customers.

I'm not being a "fanboy" here. I would be defending Ford, GM, Citibank, AMEX, etc, Y'all probably know that this sort of accidental overcharge happens every single day in big business. It's called a mistake, and is always corrected.
Feels like one. They still haven't even given me an ETA of when the money will be back in the account. haha

Reactions: GreenT
I know you're pissed that your personal account has been dinged. Not acceptable for Tesla to be doing this.

IF it were a "scam", the scammer would run with your money. As far as I know, Tesla isn't leaving the country/earth with your and others' money. They screwed up, and they'll fix it.

Reactions: DanDi58
Feels like one. They still haven't even given me an ETA of when the money will be back in the account. haha
So, here's been my play by play.

-- Feb 9 --

This is my first Tesla order and ordered a Model 3 LR on Feb 9 2021. I submitted the $100 deposit. I was excited about all the hype.

I had been talking to my Tesla sales advisor "J" who said that the car would be delivered to my home since it was out of delivery distance but he would manually override it.

-- March 24 --

I get an email on March 24 2021 to submit the final balance on the car.

I log into my account, and there are two options to pay, by ACH/routing+account number or pay by bitcoin. I choose ACH (no option for Plaid). This is around 4pm.

I get an email confirmation it's paid for. It also says there's no option for delivery and I need to come into the dealership to pick it up, so that wasn't happening I guess either.

-- March 25 --

The next day, March 25, I check my bank account and see two processing payments for the Model 3 at $53k. So I'm charged a total of $107k. I also log into Tesla's account, and I see the payment twice there too.

I then email my sales advisor J to let him know what's up, and then call Tesla to ask what's up, and they see it and said they're going to fix it and to call back later in the day. I call back later, and it's still in-progress, so the new customer service person then assigns the ticket to someone to fix. They also asked if I clicked the button twice or refreshed, which felt like a customer-service-101-no-no.

I then call "J" but I get an auto-response that he can't talk. I finally get a hold of him at end of the day. He says he sees that there's a duplicate payment, and one that occurred at 4pm, and then (mysteriously) another one at 11pm.

-- March 26 --

I enter Tesla's chat support in the morning to see what's up. I explain the issue, and they said they see it and it will get refunded. They also say a sales advisor will call me back with more details. I ask for the name of the sales advisor, or confirmation # or anything details, but they don't give me anything. Of course, no one calls me back later in the day.

I called "J" again, and received the auto-response "I can't talk right now"

--

So at this point, I'll be picking my car up on Sunday. I'll ask them again what's up, and they'll probably give me the run around, and tell me to wait till next week and it should be refunded. I haven't gotten any email or any information to confirm that that's what they'll be doing.

I'm definitely giving the benefit of the doubt, bc of the pandemic etc. And I do believe it is a mistake, but it's a big one. And it has thrown me in a loop regarding the lux brand they have.

Fingers crossed.