Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you like Carl's mods?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Roadster #609. I really want to keep it as an original. But there are a number of things that annoy the hell out of me. So I took it to Carl Medlock of Medlock and Sons for some work. For those of you who do not know, Carl has a Roadster repair shop in the Seattle area, and works on cars from all over the country. Carl used to work for Tesla, but is now doing his own thing. Most of us know Tesla's Roadster service is hit-and-miss, so it's nice to have an alternative.

I had Carl and his sons Randy and Austin do several things for me. I needed the tire pressure monitor sensors (TPMS) replaced as two of them were intermittently failing. I had also long wanted to find a double-DIN dash for may car so I could install a unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I also had one of my door sills cracked and wanted a replacement. And I decided to install their sound dampening kit, which is basically where they take everything apart that they can and install sound-dampening foam. I cannot wait to get it on the road to hear the difference!

Luckily for me, Tesla is currently buying back Roadsters and taking them on trade-in, and then parting them out to owners who need parts. Carl snagged a DDIN dash for me and was able to get it installed. He also has a guy building carbon fiber parts for him, so my door sills got replaced too.

Just checked out the work yesterday, which is about 90% complete. I'm thrilled with the work. Carl is not cheap, but he's not any more than Tesla. I think he might be a bit less than Tesla, actually. But you really get good value for what Carl does and he stands behind his work. If you're not happy with something, he'll take care of it.

Below are a few photos with short descriptions. Happy to answer any questions you might have about my mods. The key to me was to only do mods that were factory options at the time my car was manufactured. Hopefully I've been as true to that goal as possible.

First, the old dash is removed:
IMG_3567.jpeg

Next, the single-DIN enclosure is cut out and this DDIN enclosure is installed:
IMG_3549.jpeg

Unit sitting in the right place but not yet hooked up:
123_1-4.jpeg

My old amp was shot, so a new amp is installed and tucked here:
IMG_3565.jpeg

New microphone for Siri is being installed where original mic enclosure is:
IMG_3569.jpeg

New USB cable installed where old 30-PIN connector was. Debated about installing lighting connector, since I have Apple, or installing a USB connector so any type of device could be installed. Went with USB. Plan to recess this cable, ultimately, and then get a USB - lighting connector that will sit on top, giving me flexibility:
IMG_3570 (1).jpeg

The final product up close. I went with the Alpine ILX-207. I also considered the Alpine ILX-650, which also fits. Instead of the Alpine amp, I had a bit higher-powered amp put in, the Rockford Fosgate Power T1000X5ad recommended by Randy, Carl's son:
IMG_3593.jpeg

Wider shot of the cabin with the mods:
IMG_3589.jpeg

Here are the new door sills. Carl has them wrapped. I may have him re-wrap these and go for a less glossy look:
IMG_3599.jpeg

Here's Carl with my baby, #609!
IMG_3584.jpeg

Let me know what you think with your comments!

Carl is the man and that looks good for double din! Car looks amazing too.

Anyone lucky enough to live within 200 miles of Seattle should head by there. You will not regret getting to know Carl and letting him take care of your baby.

As for my stereo - I took a completely different approach.

I work 12+ hours/day on a computer and I (in all my cars) turn off the screen (unless I need backup or nav on rare occasions).

I found an innovative deck that Carl did that I hope gives us all one more option.

It is a single din with a popout phone holder/usb. When you connect your phone it loads Android Auto, backup camera, etc. So your phone becomes the "screen" for the head unit using a custom app (not screen sharing).

I too did multichannel sub amp, 500 w main amp, new speakers, sub, etc.

The backup is wireless with night vision right to my phone screen (reviews were good).

Anyway - thank you for sharing the pictures and for watching over my baby too while it was in the shop.

The pictures of the paint were amazing Carl posted on Facebook (he did polish / ceramic 5 year coating).

what amp and speakers did you use for the installation?

I left in stock speakers and subwoofer. I have the audio package with better speakers and the tweeters in the door. The sound with the new system and amp sounds great!

I also had Carl do a sound dampening install with foam, which reduces road noise in the car. It’s helped a lot and makes the music sound better while driving.

I installed the Rockford Fosgate Power T1000X5ad amp. Sounds good. Randy’s son Carl did the stereo work and tuned the amp. Think he did a good job.

I work 12+ hours/day on a computer and I (in all my cars) turn off the screen (unless I need backup or nav on rare occasions).

I found an innovative deck that Carl did that I hope gives us all one more option.

That makes sense. One of the things I like about the Alpine I put in is that it has a screen-off function so I can completely pluck it out.

There is a certain amount of future proofing though by just being able to plug in your phone. That way you always get new features. At some point I suspect my unit will stop working with Car Plan and Android Auto. But for now, I’m happy.

Reactions: drewski
Hello!

I currently have my new to me Roadster #203 at Medlock and Sons and they are doing a good amount of work to her right now.

Since I sent it straight to Carl I really have no base line to the improvements I am doing, so I wanted to ask you what sound dampening installation did you decide on? and also if you could tell me your thoughts on the difference from stock?

I'm already installing the max sound dampening as I like having the cockpit quiet when I need it to be. I'm just curious and bummed I'll never know the improvement myself (unless someone else with a Roadster lets me do a ride along).

609 looks beautiful though!

and Carl has been nothing but brilliant already!

• Love
Reactions: DeedWest
Since I sent it straight to Carl I really have no base line to the improvements I am doing, so I wanted to ask you what sound dampening installation did you decide on? and also if you could tell me your thoughts on the difference from stock?

I'm already installing the max sound dampening as I like having the cockpit quiet when I need it to be. I'm just curious and bummed I'll never know the improvement myself (unless someone else with a Roadster lets me do a ride along).!

I went with the middle package. Big difference is the max package requires them to drop the battery pack to insulate behind the cockpit in between the battery. Lots of labor. I notice a big difference with mine, but if I had the money, I would probably have gone with the max package. The car will never be quiet. Wouldn't be a sports car eif it were. But it will be LOT quieter than if it didn't have the insulation.

Reactions: drewski
Carl did the sound deadening upgrade on our car and it made a big difference from stock. But the car is nowhere near as quiet
116131963_10220027032724750_2083474084089517771_o.jpg
116874809_10220027043885029_8004355427595075150_o.jpg
as our Model S so don’t have unrealistic expectations.
Hello Jack, If I recall your car left here 5 years ago this week with 32db interior noise top on. Most Roadsters are in the 65-85db range. Model S's are a different animal altogether. Glad you chose to save it.