Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double Glazing !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ahhh. You mean double pane laminated glass! ;-)

The glass is not that thick (c6.5mm) - when it was first reported/announced I thought it would be new chrome trim but I suspect not. At a guess I’d say possible.

Anyone with a 2019 got measuring calipers?

AA3DF6DA-334D-4B10-A3CD-632911EB1E5E.jpeg

Not sure if this helps but I have a 2020 model Y with the single pane windows and I measured the driver side window with Mitutoyo calipers and got 5.3 mm. Not sure if it is the same as model 3 though. Also, I'm in America.

Reactions: Llama.
Since it makes little difference to sound insulation, I did wonder if it was added to help with some security rating. If so, it might not be a common UK issue, or some type of smash and grab crime.

I recall Thatcham wasn't too happy about something, might not have been just locking wheel nuts.

It is only the front, so I guess the rear glass can still more easily be broken if needed following an accident.

Every Tesla is different (sadly), hence will have a slightly different amount of noise depending on how well the glass seals against the rubber around the door.

There is a lot of adjustment in the glass in 6 directions (up, down, left, right and inward and outward), so a lot of room for error.

The suggestion seems to be that the double paned glass does not necessarily decrease noise in and of itself. You could find, however, that fitting it (and improving the seal in the process) makes you think it’s made a noticeable difference, when it hasn’t- strictly speaking.

In terms of retrofitting - it is a straight swap. The internal door hardware was unchanged.

Last edited:
Reactions: NewbieT
I think you right. When I think back to 2019 I remember a big gap in the window trim by the wing mirror making lots of noise. Newer car, smaller gap, less noise. Might not be the glass. Fair point.

Just watched a few decibel video comparisons and the consensus does seem to suggest there isn’t much in it.

There was a youtube video of a dealer doing a comparison test, wasn't the most scientific but it made no difference to the sound based on a phone app (I think the newer model was fractionally louder). If you want to make a Model 3 quieter I believe sound insulation in the boot (I'm not stooping to "trunk") is where to start.

I have a 2019 with the single pane side windows, but recently I had a rock hit my windshield and this needed replacement. My insurance has zero deductible if they arrange the replacement. I was hesitant at first, but had assurances that their vendor would do a quality job and if it wasn't to satisfaction I could continue the claim. It appears only 2 vendors make windshields for most OEM's. I'm in Switzerland so DESA Autoglass did the job and used "acoustic" glass for the front windshield. It also has what appears to be a better seal around the edges. The only thing noticeable is that this glass does not have the small black Tesla "T" emblem in the bottom corner, but other than that I have to say it is a HUGE improvement in sound reduction. I've done everything else possible with sound proofing (minus the side windows for now), quiet tires, etc. This unexpected windshield change resulted in a much quieter car so I can't complain! I don't even see the need to consider the side window swap anymore.