Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double pane rear windows coming to USA, anyone else excited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that double pane glass windows have been introduced to MYP & MYLR in recent Chinese builds. Anyone else excited about this feature coming to USA or was rear cabin noise due to single pane windows not a big deal? I do not own a MY yet but when I had my kids in back seat of a MYP 2021 freeway test drive, they complained about noise which I thought was odd.

Noise in the back isn't bad. Benefits might include:
Better heat when in Camp mode ( but the rest of the car is still glass)
Noise reductions will be slight. Most of the noise is tire.

Not so good:
Windows are tight if they don't adjust their MFG. In our Model Y the windows will sometimes not go up on their own because of how tight they are.
Single pane windows were thinner.
They have a slight warble look in them due to the sandwhiched glass in plastic.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
For some reason Tesla used some very thin glass on the hatch and rear windows. It also appears that they used thin glass on the front windows too, and instead of just using a thicker glass, sandwiched two thin ones together. In my opinion, the sandwiched glass looks cheap.
However, there is definitely a difference in "sound deadening" between the front and back. I wish they'd just create single panes of thicker glass for the front and rear drivers and passenger side and the hatch. If they did I'd buy them and do the replacement myself.