Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double-Paned Windows--Likelihood of Retrofit to Existing 2021 Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to pick up my 2021 Model Y (VIN 62xxx) this Thursday and it will likely NOT include the double-paned windows. Aaargh.

What do people believe the likelihood is that the new double-paned windows could later be added to a 2021 Model Y at a Service Center visit?

Any thoughts on anticipated cost?

The question I'm facing is--do I remove myself from the queue and delay delivery 4-8 weeks for the double-paned windows, or take delivery this week and add the windows later, if I feel they're necessary....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and insight!

I am in the same boat - pickup is friday - vin 628XX. Really wish someone would do some testing - unlikely I will be able to test a 2021 with the double pane beforehand. I have no problem waiting longer - do you just call them and tell them to put you back in queue?

If you really, really care about having the double paned windows, I would not pick up the upcoming car and wait for a new VIN to be assigned, even if it means that you will have to wait until December for pickup. However, it's possible that the December cars will have new improvements (such as the Model 3 center console?) that you might then just miss out on.

Reactions: jpfive
I am scheduled to pick up my 2021 Model Y (VIN 62xxx) this Thursday and it will likely NOT include the double-paned windows. Aaargh.

What do people believe the likelihood is that the new double-paned windows could later be added to a 2021 Model Y at a Service Center visit?

Any thoughts on anticipated cost?

The question I'm facing is--do I remove myself from the queue and delay delivery 4-8 weeks for the double-paned windows, or take delivery this week and add the windows later, if I feel they're necessary....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and insight!

I am anxious to take delivery of my early 2021 Y. 609xx. I've been driving my 3 for nearly a year with the single pane glass. Wind noise has not been an issue. These ongoing improvements from Tesla should be encouraged, but it will be an injurious thing to them if customers-in-waiting begin playing musical chairs with deliveries. Actually, in the case of the double pane glass I think they have an awkward appearance anyway. A quality window tint arguably provides some of the same benefit as well. I can't wait to enjoy my Model Y and would not consider delaying it. So, my advice is to ride the delivery process as it is laid out. Enjoy your new car!

• Love
Reactions: Brando
If you really, really care about having the double paned windows, I would not pick up the upcoming car and wait for a new VIN to be assigned, even if it means that you will have to wait until December for pickup. However, it's possible that the December cars will have new improvements (such as the Model 3 center console?) that you might then just miss out on.
I have a MY black Gemini I ordered 10/09. Pick up Monday 11/02. Build date 10/18 VIN 627xx. Black VINs definitely seem to consistently be lower than other colors. Likely not double pane but will see. I am most concerned about build quality. When I pick up if car inspects well, no issues, I will keep. I have talked to couple friends with early MY, no one complains about noise and they say very quite. I had no concerns when I test drove. I am also trading and Tesla has been very competitive on there offer, which expires week after pick up. If I wait, trade would likely go down. So if it inspects well Monday, I am a go:)

I'm going to be blunt and say NO. But there's no harm in asking.

For me, buying this piece of technology I kind of knew it was going to be constantly evolving and you can spiral into a dark hole of not having the latest of everything equipped on your vehicle. Poor day 1 adaptors now are out of nicer door exit buttons, heat pump cover, tail light color change, single rear casting, and now double pane windows to mention a few.

If you're really worried about not having the latest and greatest, probably best to stay away from a TESLA, because I can tell you windows will be one of the many things you'll be missing out on when the next batch of Model Ys gets produced.

Stay away from the dark hole! Your car is perfect the way it is :D

They only laminated the front windows and not the back, so I don’t think it’ll even be noticeable. Remember, your ears are very sensitive, and when you’re sitting in the driver/passenger seat, your ears aren’t far from the back windows so you’ll STILL hear outside noises. Until the laminate BOTH the front AND back windows, I wouldn’t even bother. And honestly, I wouldn’t even try to retrofit anything. Everyone is on this hype and idea that everything has to be retrofitted just because something new came out. You’ll spend more money on trying to retrofit something into a vehicle that wasn’t designed for said retrofit. Those laminated windows are probably thicker than the existing ones, and the area where the windows is—to include the weather stripping and stuff—would probably need to be changed. And I don’t think you’d be covered under a warranty anymore just because you altered the original design that was intended and manufactured for your vehicle. If your not happy with it, sell it for probably what you paid for it, and order another one......which will probably end up with another refresh/update after you order that one too. We’ll never be able to keep up with Tesla’s updates and refreshes, but at least we’ll own a really bad ass vehicle, better than any other one on the road in my opinion.