Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some have reported the ghosting being reduced or eliminated with lightly tinted polarized sunglasses. Has anyone been able to eliminate the ghosting with windshield tinting? Because I am squinter, I am considering tinting and wondered if I might be able to eliminate ghosting at the same time.

1. Is the tint done in 1 or 2 pieces on the WS?

2. On the top section do they remove the AP housing and channel?

3. Will take take responsibility of they crack windshield or you signing off liability?

Photosync seems like the choice (top of the line) tint to go with but it's also very expensive. About $800+

Glare and heat will drastically be reduced but asking bout how their customer experience is after the install is probably the best option for ghosting.

• Helpful
Reactions: mikevbf
I think the reaction is separate from the intensity of the problem. Everyone's personal feeling (nausea, "dangerous") is just that - personal. Only some consistent way of measuring is going to be able to tell who has it worse or better. I see triple ghosts clearly, day or night, for bright points (reflections/lights/etc). Wearing polarized lenses completely eliminates it. When I'm not wearing those lenses, I can either choose to focus on it and get annoyed by it, or ignore it completely and drive. It's not much more than that, despite being what I'd guess is at the upper spectrum of "bad". But that's just because I'm able to do that. I bet someone more sensitive to this kind of thing would find it unbearable.

Sounds like we have a solution in the works. That's good news for everyone who is bothered, and even for those of us who are just annoyed by it.

Thanks to this thread I started looking for ghosting on my '08 Highlander and sure enough I see it at night. I never noticed it before but now I see it everywhere. So annoying. Thanks! ;)

The ghosting increases noticeably as I raise my eye level above the steering wheel. About wheel level almost no ghost, close to the top the ghost light moves about one light diameter above the original light.

I am new to tinting. What details would you recommend I ask an installer that would have the same effect of reducing ghosting and cut glare and heat down a bit without going gangsta dark?

I've had multiple cars tinted dating back to the 90s. The tints today are much better, but you still gotta go to a reputable shop that has a ton of experience. My understanding is the X pano windshield is tough to do. From speaking to my installer (Premier Mobile), there aren't many tinters out there that can do the X pano windshield in 1 piece. I think this is the most important since you will be seeing a lot of lines if you get the wrong tinter.

Just got a call from Scottsdale Raintree SC confirming they are ordering a new windshield for my Model X, and that the problem has been identified and fixed. They said one person has already gotten their replacement glass and it fixed the ghosting issue. Fingers crossed here..

Sorry to quote my own post but Tesla SC called me back to say they made a mistake there's no fix yet. Sorry about the previous post. Hard to believe that they could be such knuckleheads. I almost feel it necessary to state that I'm not a troll, they really did do this today to me.. to all of us. Sorry about the false hope.

• Informative
Reactions: HerrJones
.. So I called them back because I realize I didn't know why Tesla called me in the first place.. Spoke to a guy named Omar who was very nice, I asked why the other guy was so specific about a fix and he admitted it was very bizarre. He said they were just going through a list of outstanding issues and customers and my name popped up and they were just checking to see if I still had the WS problem, is if it could go away on its own.

I'm on my second Model X 90D both 2016 models and noticed the double vision at night for both. I notice it more when looking at LED taillights/headlights of other cars. I noticed it more on the first X I had and the second, a loaner, is not as bad. It is still very annoying. I've been in the automotive business for a while and have owned a number of vehicles and have never experienced anything like this. My sales guy mentioned his colleague notices it on his Toyota truck. I'm pushing with the store manager to find out what Tesla is doing about it as I'm concerned I will have the same problem with my the new X currently being built. I have a family member in manufacturing and has experience with the manufacturing of windshields and he says it is all related to the layers of glass or whatever other material is used with the glass and how each layer is lined up. He says it is not manufactured correctly if you can see double or even triple.

I'm on my second Model X 90D both 2016 models and noticed the double vision at night for both. I notice it more when looking at LED taillights/headlights of other cars. I noticed it more on the first X I had and the second, a loaner, is not as bad. It is still very annoying. I've been in the automotive business for a while and have owned a number of vehicles and have never experienced anything like this. My sales guy mentioned his colleague notices it on his Toyota truck. I'm pushing with the store manager to find out what Tesla is doing about it as I'm concerned I will have the same problem with my the new X currently being built. I have a family member in manufacturing and has experience with the manufacturing of windshields and he says it is all related to the layers of glass or whatever other material is used with the glass and how each layer is lined up. He says it is not manufactured correctly if you can see double or even triple.
Out of curiosity, are these replacement builds or are you the owner of multiple Model Xs?