Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you trying to fuel the fire or something? This has nothing to do with the ghosting issue. All X's exhibit this on the tinted part of the windows (including falcon wing door sun roof glass) when water has beaded due to the rain. It is not a residue. When the water is wiped away the color goes away.
Just bringing up the windshield has tons of issues, so yes fueling the fire. I don't know what you are talking about. The residue on mine is on the windshield itself below the tinted part. What color are you talking about? Do you not see it looks like something leaked from the top to the windshield on the indoor shot? It's all visible during the rain or just from wiping the windshield with washer fluids. Then look at the outdoor shot closely. That's from leaving the car in the rain for an hour without any wiping. The residue is creating that look. All other windows do not experience this behavior.

This residue is affecting the wiper performance. When the blades run across it leaves smudges on the windshield, brand new blades.

Last edited:
Just bringing up the windshield has tons of issues, so yes fueling the fire. I don't know what you are talking about. The residue on mine is on the windshield itself below the tinted part. What color are you talking about? Do you not see it looks like something leaked from the top to the windshield on the indoor shot? It's all visible during the rain or just from wiping the windshield with washer fluids. Then look at the outdoor shot closely. That's from leaving the car in the rain for an hour without any wiping. The residue is creating that look. All other windows do not experience this behavior.

This residue is affecting the wiper performance. When the blades run across it leaves smudges on the windshield, brand new blades.

Appologies. I thought you were talking about the tinted section of the upper windshield that changes colour with water droplets. I now see what you were talking about.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are categorizing the problem; it seems they just found a pseudo-scientific way to tell everyone their ghosting windshield is within tolerance. I had my windshield tested with the laser device on Friday and they said....

"We have done the testing of the windshield and it does fall in specifications that Tesla determined. The engineers said there no action needed."

I am sure you many of you have already seen my video, but take a look again and see what they consider falling within specifications:mad:

I took delivery of my MX 90D at the end of November, had my car delivered to the SC on February 16th with a whole bunch of issues (bad wheel alignment, front door not always closing, falcon wing with "crack" noise, hatch only opening manually,...) and also ghosting. They would check the ghosting with their "tool": verdict: within tolerance. I then told them that the wind-shield wasn't within my tolerance. Since it wasn't the person in charge at the phone, he would let the service manager call me back. Result: the same person called me back one week later and - again - promised that the service manager would call me back. Since then (February 26, so almost 3 weeks ago) nobody - that I know of - called me back from Tesla. I also have sent them a mail 3 days ago, stating that I'm at their disposal to further discuss the matter and that I will be patiently waiting in the meantime. No response. Very disappointing! I don't even know if they are planning to do something about it and are simply waiting for "the solution" (whatever than may be) or not. So, my car is in the SC for more than a month now.
IMHO in a car in this price class, there should be NO GHOSTING whatsoever, especially if Tesla is bragging about in the press they have the biggest wind-shield in the car industry. If you can't deliver a decent product, simply don't do it. Vision is so important for safety. There can be no tolerance in this area.
This is my second Tesla and we all love Tesla even if the quality standards aren't on par with the BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes'. But, if it comes to safety, there are limits to my/our tolerance. No?

I took delivery of my MX 90D at the end of November, had my car delivered to the SC on February 16th with a whole bunch of issues (bad wheel alignment, front door not always closing, falcon wing with "crack" noise, hatch only opening manually,...) and also ghosting. They would check the ghosting with their "tool": verdict: within tolerance. I then told them that the wind-shield wasn't within my tolerance. Since it wasn't the person in charge at the phone, he would let the service manager call me back. Result: the same person called me back one week later and - again - promised that the service manager would call me back. Since then (February 26, so almost 3 weeks ago) nobody - that I know of - called me back from Tesla. I also have sent them a mail 3 days ago, stating that I'm at their disposal to further discuss the matter and that I will be patiently waiting in the meantime. No response. Very disappointing! I don't even know if they are planning to do something about it and are simply waiting for "the solution" (whatever than may be) or not. So, my car is in the SC for more than a month now.
IMHO in a car in this price class, there should be NO GHOSTING whatsoever, especially if Tesla is bragging about in the press they have the biggest wind-shield in the car industry. If you can't deliver a decent product, simply don't do it. Vision is so important for safety. There can be no tolerance in this area.
This is my second Tesla and we all love Tesla even if the quality standards aren't on par with the BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes'. But, if it comes to safety, there are limits to my/our tolerance. No?

Mine is a late September 2016 delivery; my tolerance limits have long crossed on this issue :-(. What worries me most is the Tesla's attitude to screw its own customers, which I guess is not new for Tesla ( quality issues with the build, fit and finish, AP HW/SW, numerous malfunctions with advertised features, all at the expense of owners/early adopters who put faith in the company and bought the cars) and not acknowledging the issue or commit to the owners with a fix.

With all this said, what can we do as owners, to get this issue attention or attempt to get this issue fixed? Any formal options available? This is a safety issue driving at the night time and this issue is annoying and haunting. Now I see ghosting in my side rearview mirrors...anyone else got here?!?

Mine is a late September 2016 delivery; my tolerance limits have long crossed on this issue :-(. What worries me most is the Tesla's attitude to screw its own customers, which I guess is not new for Tesla ( quality issues with the build, fit and finish, AP HW/SW, numerous malfunctions with advertised features, all at the expense of owners/early adopters who put faith in the company and bought the cars) and not acknowledging the issue or commit to the owners with a fix.

With all this said, what can we do as owners, to get this issue attention or attempt to get this issue fixed? Any formal options available? This is a safety issue driving at the night time and this issue is annoying and haunting. Now I see ghosting in my side rearview mirrors...anyone else got here?!?
You could file a report with the NHTSA. You can attach pictures to the complaint, as well. In this case, that seems particularly useful.

Mr. Bean as seen through my Model X windshield.

funny.jpg

n't even know if they are planning to do something about it and are simply waiting for "the solution" (whatever than may be) or not. So, my car is in the SC for more than a month now.

Glad to hear you have an acceptable windshield.

In my S, I consider the ghosting irritating but in my X a safety hazard, sometimes it's hard to tell how many cars are on the road. I think the SCs are lying when they say the X has a steeper windshield. From my calculations they seem similar(still investigating this. I need to find some tools to measure the angles properly)
Compared to other cars(not Tesla) I've tested recently the ghosting is 20 times more visible in the S. And in the X is 10 15 times more visible than the S.

The 2012 Civic has one of the steepest* windshield angles amongst mass-produced cars and it doesn't have ghosting. *(technically a less steep angle, but everyone seems to use the word steeper for less degrees of angle when it comes to windshields... so I am sticking with it).

109_2012_Civic_EX-L_Coupe_05.jpg

Glad to hear you have an acceptable windshield.

In my S, I consider the ghosting irritating but in my X a safety hazard, sometimes it's hard to tell how many cars are on the road. I think the SCs are lying when they say the X has a steeper windshield. From my calculations they seem similar(still investigating this. I need to find some tools to measure the angles properly)
Compared to other cars(not Tesla) I've tested recently the ghosting is 20 times more visible in the S. And in the X is 10 15 times more visible than the S.
My X is barely noticeable. I have to really look hard trying to see it. So, it sounds like you have a bad windshield compareably speaking. Maybe it was minimized by the start of my build vin 25xxx.

Here's the latest response I got from the Northwest Regional Service Manager on the windshield.

"
I understand you’ve had some concerns with double imaging on your Model X windshield. We have inspected your windshield and it conforms to regulatory specifications for secondary image separation and it is defect free. Secondary images (double images) are common in windshields. They can be more noticeable on cars like Model X, which have windshields set at a steep angle. The high rake angle of the windshield reduces drag and makes the vehicle more aerodynamic, which is critical to giving our vehicles the highest-performing range possible. The perception and the degree of discomfort experienced because of this effect is something that is highly subjective and will depend on many factors, including height, seat position and wearing glasses. Please know that different seat positions may improve this condition. Lastly, from the wheels up, Tesla is committed to providing the very best in quality, safety, and service. We’ve built our windshields to meet all regulatory and safety requirements and do not anticipate any windshield to fall short of those specifications.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you."

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler