Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tested three model x's with some ghosting. Just picked up my brand new X last weekend, and it has the worst ghosting of the bunch. I can massively see it during the day. Doesn't have to be night.

The first test drive X that Portland got had ghosting really bad, during the day as well (to me anyway), the second one they got did not have it and luckily mine does not have it but from what I have seen during the day it's bad.

I had mine tested and received the standard "within specifications" response. I asked a couple times for additional details and just received this:

The American National Standards Institute is the organization that sets the tolerances for the windshield image duplication. Below is the link to the specific document along with excerpts that give the specific measurements.

The section in the document that covers this is 5.10.2.1

http://www.interautoglass.org/content/17473/download/clnt/18339_Draft_ANSI_Z26_11.pdf

As per UNECE43 and SAE Z26 standards, secondary image separation should not exceed 15 arc-minutes in Zone A and 25 arc-min in Zone B

Tesla is effectively saying their standards consider it acceptable to have the maximum allowable image separation. Another way of saying it is their standards are the absolute lowest legally permitted. It is incredibly frustrating to hear them talk about the "very best in quality, safety, and service" when clearly their tolerance on this issue is the nowhere close to the very best.

Last edited:
Secondary images (double images) are common in windshields. They can be more noticeable on cars like Model X, which have windshields set at a steep angle. The high rake angle of the windshield reduces drag and makes the vehicle more aerodynamic, which is critical to giving our vehicles the highest-performing range possible. The perception and the degree of discomfort experienced because of this effect is something that is highly subjective and will depend on many factors, including height, seat position and wearing glasses. Please know that different seat positions may improve this condition.
"It's totally normal because of the angle of the windshield. But try some things out like special magic glasses and moving your seat up and down, which may make it go away, despite being totally normal."

o_O

That's pulled from the NHTSA, as I posted a few weeks ago people should really report it, but nobody seems to have done it so far. Still the same 7 windshield reports....

2016 TESLA MODEL X | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

2016 TESLA MODEL X

"It's totally normal because of the angle of the windshield. But try some things out like special magic glasses and moving your seat up and down, which may make it go away, despite being totally normal."

o_O
47765881_mr_bean_mini_drive_car.jpg

All, has anyone found a solution?!!! The picture below is of the test being performed on my new Tesla at Service in Burbank. I picked up my Model X only a week ago and immediately noticed horrible ghosting, both at night and during the day. Tesla replaced the windshield because of the ghosting (perhaps, keep reading) and irregularities (folds) in the glass on the passenger side. The problem was not fixed. I took the X back to Service this morning and they informed me that they would test again, but if the windshield was "within California safety maximum allowable deviations" they would not replace. This time Tesla performed the test while I was watching (I didn't watch the first time so it's possible they only replaced the windshield because of the passenger side irregularities).

For the test, they placed the pictured card on a stand 5.9 meters in front of the car and turned an LED on in the center of the card. The windshield only fails if the aberration (ghosting) occurs outside the circle.

As you can see, my ghosting is obvious, but only maybe half to 3/4s the maximum allowable "badness."

This is terrible. Basically, for a +$100k car, Tesla is just accepting that the windshield is 1/2 to 3/4 bad.

Oh, and the service guy gave me the "it's the angle of the windshield" line. Then he said that the ghosting varies between Model Xs. I strongly pointed out to him that his two statements were in direct conflict as all the angles of the Model X windshields are the same.

It's pretty bad. I'm getting eye strain and headaches. Anybody have a solution?

Photo Apr 07, 8 20 48 AM.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Any easier solutions than ohmann's?? I agree with the 5.9m being short. I found that the reason for the distance is that CA safety specs define the test at 25ft from light to eye. So they measure 19ft (5.9m) to the front + 7 feet to the driver's eye inside the car. I'm not supporting or justifying through. It's really horrible.

I'm fine with the little imperfections and uneven panels. But not being able to drive without eye strain and headaches?

This is unbelievable.