Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have found an additional culprit. My windshield has a noticeable warp on both sides. You can't see well in pictures, but I captured a video where moving the camera up/down makes it clear visible with the reflections. I had this on my first ghosting windshield as well, however on that one the warping was on the passenger side only and more extreme.

My problem is the Tesla windshield gives me headaches. I used to think it was the ghosting alone, but now I believe the entire glass is warped.

I'll bring the car back into service this week.

• Informative
Reactions: Scmbug
I really want to purchase a Model X but this windshield problem is putting it on hold. It looks like Tesla is not really going to do anything about it. They just use some spec which seeming makes no sense compared to reality.

Does the Tesla windshield spec specify the brightness of the secondary image compared to the main image? If they are just measuring the "off angle" that would be one part of it but the secondary brightness should be also considered.

Reactions: Raincloud
Does the Tesla windshield spec specify the brightness of the secondary image compared to the main image? If they are just measuring the "off angle" that would be one part of it but the secondary brightness should be also considered.

The separation only starts to be visible when the distance is longer than what they use to test(reported 5.9m). So the intensity doesn't come in to play in their tests unless they increase the test distance.

The separation only starts to be visible when the distance is longer than what they use to test(reported 5.9m). So the intensity doesn't come in to play in their tests unless they increase the test distance.
They are measuring an angle. The measure of an angle is independent of distance.

The angle doesn't increase as the light source gets further from the car, only the relative distance of the reflection from the light source. When a light source is close and the separation angle is small, the two images merge together and it is hard to discern the ghost from the original. When that same light source is further away then the two images are separate and distinct. In order to measure the angle you only need to put the source far enough away that the separation angle causes the reflection to be distinct from the original.

For a headlight it may need to be a hundred yards away before the two images separate and you can measure their distance apart and thus calculate the angle of the separation. This is because the headlight is (comparably) large in size.

For the very tiny light source they use for testing, the reflection becomes distinct at a much smaller distance and so you can measure the separation distance and calculate the angle using a much nearer target.

I may have found an additional culprit. My windshield has a noticeable warp on both sides. You can't see well in pictures, but I captured a video where moving the camera up/down makes it clear visible with the reflections. I had this on my first ghosting windshield as well, however on that one the warping was on the passenger side only and more extreme.

My problem is the Tesla windshield gives me headaches. I used to think it was the ghosting alone, but now I believe the entire glass is warped.

I'll bring the car back into service this week.
Yes even though tesla were open to discussing my ghosting issue, when I sent pictures of my warped windscreen with a ruler across the warp showing the depth of the sagging, the immediately agreed to order another screen. Other model X I have seen do not have the warp or sag in the glass like mine does.

OzSimon -- was the ghosting improved when there was no warping/sag in the windshield?

I'm hoping so.

Basically I'm not sure if my eye strain is caused by the ghosting (constantly draws my attention) or the warping which causes strain on the periphery even though I may not focus on it.

OzSimon -- was the ghosting improved when there was no warping/sag in the windshield?

I'm hoping so.

Basically I'm not sure if my eye strain is caused by the ghosting (constantly draws my attention) or the warping which causes strain on the periphery even though I may not focus on it.
Well my friend got his X last week and has near no sagging (manufacture defect) and reports no ghosting.

Reactions: Scmbug
Yes even though tesla were open to discussing my ghosting issue, when I sent pictures of my warped windscreen with a ruler across the warp showing the depth of the sagging, the immediately agreed to order another screen. Other model X I have seen do not have the warp or sag in the glass like mine does.

Can you post pictures or video of your windshield sag?

Reactions: Cowby
Here's to another X with ghosting....how many of us need to voice our concern before Tesla listens? Or if they never, then time for NHSTA to jump in? Note, I'd rather have Tesla own up and handle this internally before it gets out of hand.

Here's to another X with ghosting....how many of us need to voice our concern before Tesla listens? Or if they never, then time for NHSTA to jump in? Note, I'd rather have Tesla own up and handle this internally before it gets out of hand.

So far neither Tesla nor NHSTA shown any interest in resolving this issue since they have deemed it both "...within tolerance" and "...meeting industry standards". Probably going to have to live with it. :(

So my new Model X 100D 44xxx Vin has pretty bad ghosting. When I was reading about it on here before I received my car I didn't think it could be that big a deal but it is definitely noticeable on my X. I can pretty much ignore it most of the time but I took about a 3 hour drive at night last night and my eyes were feeling more tired than they usually do when I drive at night. I think it partly was because I had my screen brightness too high on the console. I turned it down to the minimum and my eyes felt a little better. I am contemplating taking to the service center but based on the lack of any response noted by other forum members I am not sure if it is worth it....

So my new Model X 100D 44xxx Vin has pretty bad ghosting. When I was reading about it on here before I received my car I didn't think it could be that big a deal but it is definitely noticeable on my X. I can pretty much ignore it most of the time but I took about a 3 hour drive at night last night and my eyes were feeling more tired than they usually do when I drive at night. I think it partly was because I had my screen brightness too high on the console. I turned it down to the minimum and my eyes felt a little better. I am contemplating taking to the service center but based on the lack of any response noted by other forum members I am not sure if it is worth it....

Unfortunately, in my experience, you will get nowhere with your service center. They will just say it is "within tolerance" :rolleyes:

Polarized glasses eliminates it during the day, but at night there is no remedy, unless you find a way to ignore it.... kinda like ignoring a back seat driver.... hard to do, but possible.