Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X is in service for a list of alignment and other minor issues. Had them address the WS and I was put on some *priority* list once the engineers figure out how to solve the issue.

I'm hoping it gets solved sooner rather than later as the ghosting has caused my son to throw up twice in our X.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scmbug
Our ghosting is so minor my wife and kids haven't noticed it, which is probably pretty common and many owners don't complain so the service center can claim ignorance, buy you know their lying. Hurts Tesla's image in my eyes. They should own up.

...I have been in X's with no ghosting so at least to me they can have the windshield manufactured correctly.

You are the first person I have heard of that sees the ghosting, but has been in a car that doesn't have it. This gives me hope. I noticed the problem the moment I started driving it home from the factory back in May. Polarized glasses solve that and the reflections of the dash grille during the daytime, but I am still without and fix for night driving. I think Tesla hopes we will stop complaining about this and the problem will just go away...

You are the first person I have heard of that sees the ghosting, but has been in a car that doesn't have it. This gives me hope. I noticed the problem the moment I started driving it home from the factory back in May. Polarized glasses solve that and the reflections of the dash grille during the daytime, but I am still without and fix for night driving. I think Tesla hopes we will stop complaining about this and the problem will just go away...

I have a mid May X and no ghosting

Our ghosting is so minor my wife and kids haven't noticed it, which is probably pretty common and many owners don't complain so the service center can claim ignorance, buy you know their lying. Hurts Tesla's image in my eyes. They should own up.
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up my X from the SC and just casually (out-of-the-blue) asked if they had a fix for the windshield yet. I didn't mention ghosting or double-vision or anything else, purposely being vague. The employee remarked that they're still investigating it and that they don't have a fix yet.

Not only did they admit there is an issue, my SC didn't beat around the bush and came straight out with a response. YMMV.

• Love
Reactions: VerityZooms
I have a mid May X and no ghosting

Yes, but do you see ghosting in other X's? I think there is a general consensus that some people see or are bothered by the issue more than others even in the same car. Since some degree of ghosting is fundamental to angled glass, I've always been wary of claims that a windshield is without ghosting unless that same person is able to see it somewhere else.

Yes, but do you see ghosting in other X's? I think there is a general consensus that some people see or are bothered by the issue more than others even in the same car. Since some degree of ghosting is fundamental to angled glass, I've always been wary of claims that a windshield is without ghosting unless that same person is able to see it somewhere else.

I see it on one of my friends Prius, I can't capture it on camera either and I tried substantially to look for it.

I do wear glasses but it is a light prescription and I am in my 20s.

• Helpful
Reactions: Colby Boles
Is it more dramatic in person than in the time-lapse? I saw a couple of dots / lights appear mid-screen and then disappear; in the time lapse, I didn't find them distracting. But that's a 2D series of pictures of a 3D experience.

Is it more dramatic in person than in the time-lapse? I saw a couple of dots / lights appear mid-screen and then disappear; in the time lapse, I didn't find them distracting. But that's a 2D series of pictures of a 3D experience.

This is the best representation I have seen as well. Each headlight is tripled, where an oncoming car may seem to have six (rather than two) headlights (as shown in that time lapse). It is typically persistent and does not appear/disappear.

The issue can present itself from tail lights as well. Throw in some rain and it can be worse. I try to work through the distraction, though it can be headache-inducing on longer drives.

I understand some people may be more affected than others. I try to look 'down and to the right and away from the light' which sometimes works well enough.

All that said, I love my X and am dealing with it for now.

Thanks @MG1234, that helps. Mentioning that the headlights are tripled helped me see what people have been talking about.

Keep in mind that everything you see through the windshield has these vertically shifted, attenuated images. It's just much easier to see with bright objects on a dark background. Specular reflections during the day also have additional bright spots. I also see additional images of each car's roofline, for example. The overall effect reduces the acuity with which you can clearly see any object, and causes fatigue as your brain tries to compensate for the anomalies.

Keep in mind that everything you see through the windshield has these vertically shifted, attenuated images. It's just much easier to see with bright objects on a dark background. Specular reflections during the day also have additional bright spots. I also see additional images of each car's roofline, for example. The overall effect reduces the acuity with which you can clearly see any object, and causes fatigue as your brain tries to compensate for the anomalies.
Despite having the same issue, I don't have the same fatigue or acuity issues. My brain does a good job of filtering out the noise, mostly, and I know what I'm seeing. But I can definitely see where some people with different vision and focus issues would have a different reaction. I just want to put in the counterpoint that not everyone gets fatigued, sick, etc. Some of us are merely annoyed by it.

Reactions: goneskiian and TpGn
Even the parking lights if you look at the top seem to have two stages (they don't).

When the lights are directly pointing at you, it's where the effect is maximum. Looking at cars coming to you in the other direction is really comic. Looking at the back of cars is ok until they break. Then you see the double/triple light effect on their break lights.

Despite having the same issue, I don't have the same fatigue or acuity issues. My brain does a good job of filtering out the noise, mostly, and I know what I'm seeing. But I can definitely see where some people with different vision and focus issues would have a different reaction. I just want to put in the counterpoint that not everyone gets fatigued, sick, etc. Some of us are merely annoyed by it.

Agreed. For me, it does bother me less if I defocus my eyes and zone out a bit, but this isn't really what I should be doing while driving. It's also much less annoying as a passenger for the simple reason that you don't have to maintain your gaze on any particular object that has unpleasant artifacts.

I was down at my local service center for a minor fix today, and had time to chat with the service manager there (long time Tesla employee, very experienced (both in the SF Bay Area and also in the EU, very friendly and helpful). We discussed some customer complaints (some posted here in other threads), among other issues, and specifically talked about the Model X windshield issue. He specifically noted to me that the model X windshield ghosting issue is well known at various levels inside Tesla. He says that there is currently no fix/new windshield, and that when they figure out the answer, all affected customers will be addressed. He noted that the service managers actually have a ‘script’ from corporate to basically read to the customer. He acknowledges that this is suboptimal, and that some customers have been less than happy when told that this issue cannot be corrected immediately. Not fun for him, not fun for those affected. Don’t shoot the messenger.

My friend had his model X the early of July and never heard of ghosting.For now it works very well. That is the car and the Falcon Wing, we have shade for it.

Attachments

• qqa (1).jpg
    qqa (1).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 62
  • qqa (2).jpg
    qqa (2).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 59
  • qqa (3).jpg
    qqa (3).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 58