Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you take pictures of these double visions and post them here just for others’ reference? You might also want to take those pictures with you when you go to the SC next time to show them how bad it is. Might help in convincing them to fix it free of charge.
Hope it goes well for you. Drive safe.

This might be helpful. Here's an old video of ghosting in MX before my windshield was replaced by Tesla (after a 1.5 years of nagging them). As you watch, keep in mind that the windshield in the video was deemed "in spec" in the ghosting test. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Cowby and Fiddler
This might be helpful. Here's an old video of ghosting in MX before my windshield was replaced by Tesla (after a 1.5 years of nagging them). As you watch, keep in mind that the windshield in the video was deemed "in spec" in the ghosting test. :rolleyes:

Whoa! Just a 2 min video gives me a headache. I can't imagine driving around like that.
Glad you got it fixed.

• Funny
Reactions: EV-lutioin
I’ve been watching this thread with interest ever since I got my X (early build signature), but didn’t raise the concern with service since I thought I could live with it. After all, in the daytime it’s not an issue and the thought of replacing the windshield seems like waste. But it finally got the best of me after a road trip at night. Eight hours straight hours of looking at taillights doubled on on top of the other.

The service center I dealt with is awesome, but the advisor apologized and said that it was in spec. Thing is the new model X loaner I had didn’t have this issue, so clearly they’ve resolved the issue with new new builds.

If anyone wants to call them and advocate on my behalf please feel free!

View attachment 294312
I’d been pestering my service center about this for 18 months almost every time I went in. I never had them do the actual test, just “is there a solution known yet?”, until the last time when I knew there was a solution, from this thread. I was in for something else at the time, and they said they’d replace it. When I picked it up, the SA told me that it had technically been just in spec, but since I was a good customer (it’s been the same SA for me for two years, so we’ve got a pretty good relationship) they had fudged a little and done it anyway. You being a Sig X owner, you’d think they’d be bending over backwards to fix this, even 2 1/2 years later. I’d put pressure on your SA on both points that a fix is definitely known, even for AP1 cars, and that as a Sig owner you’ve endured plenty of teething issues, likely with little protest, and it’d sure be great if they could fix this one last thing for an early build car.

Reactions: Cowby and Fiddler
I spoke with my service center about it again yesterday after I told them I didn't accept what they said about it being "in spec" and no one had gotten back to me about it previously. They called me back and left a message saying that they could "meet me half way" on the issue. I'm planning on calling them back today to find out what that means, but I'm not willing to pay anything for this, I see 3! images of stop lights, tail lights, head lights, and 2 images of stop signs and speed signs in my windshield.

How did things turn out for you? Similar offer here....I pay for the windshield ($930) and they would install it no cost. I still have trouble accepting that I need to pay to resolve their quality issue.

Tesla's handling of this issue, especially their BS statement about 'within spec', really left a bad taste in my mouth. I knew I was buying an early build and I came into this expecting issues - but I also expected they would resolve them eventually and make things right. Very disappointing.

Reactions: Fiddler and Cowby
How did things turn out for you? Similar offer here....I pay for the windshield ($930) and they would install it no cost. I still have trouble accepting that I need to pay to resolve their quality issue.

Tesla's handling of this issue, especially their BS statement about 'within spec', really left a bad taste in my mouth. I knew I was buying an early build and I came into this expecting issues - but I also expected they would resolve them eventually and make things right. Very disappointing.
They offered me the same thing. This is after the windshield was shown to be out of spec at a portion I use to monitor oncoming traffic and LED road signs which is the original noted issue. I will be getting back to them regarding their failure to evaluate this appropriately. The biggest issue is there are 2 ghost images, the second one falls outside of their background!!!! Pathetic. IMG_20180323_112532-01.jpeg

Reactions: Cowby
They offered me the same thing. This is after the windshield was shown to be out of spec at a portion I use to monitor oncoming traffic and LED road signs which is the original noted issue. I will be getting back to them regarding their failure to evaluate this appropriately. The biggest issue is there are 2 ghost images, the second one falls outside of their background!!!! Pathetic.View attachment 303596

Another one IMG_20180323_112546.jpg

It does not matter what Tesla adopter you are, early..late...sig edition. We have 4 Tesla's on my account alone and a 2nd model 3 reservation ready to configure. It does not matter to them. I am always patient and kind to them, very understanding. They have done the right things all the time within their power for all kinds of issues for all the vehicles. But this one didn't make sense to me at all, and this is the most dangerous. Makes me wonder if Tesla HQ has pushed back on this issue even if it is out of spec and leave it solely up to the advisor.

Last edited:
Another one View attachment 303597

It does not matter what Tesla adopter you are, early..late...sig edition. We have 4 Tesla's on my account alone and a 2nd model 3 reservation ready to configure. It does not matter to them. I am always patient and kind to them, very understanding. They have done the right things all the time within their power for all kinds of issues for all the vehicles. But this one didn't make sense to me at all, and this is the most dangerous. Makes me wonder if Tesla HQ has pushed back on this issue even if it is out of spec and leave it solely up to the advisor.

In my experience, if you are patient, persistent and kind with Tesla, they will always do the right thing. Making you pay for the windshield and offering free labor is a bit bummer, but it's also a compromise and by now your windshield has some miles on it and probably some chips and scratches, so you are get the benefit of a new windshield for a decent price.

In my experience, if you are patient, persistent and kind with Tesla, they will always do the right thing. Making you pay for the windshield and offering free labor is a bit bummer, but it's also a compromise and by now your windshield has some miles on it and probably some chips and scratches, so you are get the benefit of a new windshield for a decent price.
I agree on that there. It does have some dents from road debris. In my case, though, is it fair for them to ding me on that knowing this was documented when the windshield was brand new without damage?

I'm still at a loss with this problem. After months of waiting for a replacement windshield to arrive at the San Francisco SC, one of the SC staff there said that we should just schedule the service appt. and the windshield will get sent ahead of time for that service. That appointment came last Thursday and I dropped my car off being told that they would replace the windshield and it would take approx 24hrs as they wanted some time for the adhesive to dry.

Fast-forward to the last couple of days and they are telling me:

(A) The windshield is testing as in-spec, so I will need to pay to have it replaced.
(B) There is no new windshield part number for your AP1 car, so any replacement will likely have similar performance to what you already have.

It's as if nothing has changed from Spring 2016 when I got the car! I pointed the service employee to this thread, the new AP1 and AP2 windshield manufacturer part numbers, but every resource he checks with internally seems to claim there is no fix or change to the windshield.

@Ohmman - did you get your replacement done at the San Rafael SC? Is there someone we can contact there that knows what is going on?

This is getting pretty frustrating.

I'm still at a loss with this problem. After months of waiting for a replacement windshield to arrive at the San Francisco SC, one of the SC staff there said that we should just schedule the service appt. and the windshield will get sent ahead of time for that service. That appointment came last Thursday and I dropped my car off being told that they would replace the windshield and it would take approx 24hrs as they wanted some time for the adhesive to dry.

Fast-forward to the last couple of days and they are telling me:

(A) The windshield is testing as in-spec, so I will need to pay to have it replaced.
(B) There is no new windshield part number for your AP1 car, so any replacement will likely have similar performance to what you already have.

It's as if nothing has changed from Spring 2016 when I got the car! I pointed the service employee to this thread, the new AP1 and AP2 windshield manufacturer part numbers, but every resource he checks with internally seems to claim there is no fix or change to the windshield.

@Ohmman - did you get your replacement done at the San Rafael SC? Is there someone we can contact there that knows what is going on?

This is getting pretty frustrating.

Can’t speak for ohmman but maybe Goto a different service center and try your luck there? The part number he posted is correct...

Can’t speak for ohmman but maybe Goto a different service center and try your luck there? The part number he posted is correct...
The crazy part is that the SC front desk staff who booked the appt. completely knew what I was talking about, but the service people seem to have no knowledge of the windshield change and can't find any reference to it in any internal service documents. I suspect Tesla is keeping a very low profile on this to avoid making a lot of windshield replacements and keeping the SC staff in the dark.

Sorry, I didn't get an alert for the mention or I'd have responded sooner. (Maybe a caps thing?)

Yes, I had it done in San Rafael. I find it a bit wild that they are saying they don't know about this new part number. Have you tried escalation to Ninos?

Sorry, I didn't get an alert for the mention or I'd have responded sooner. (Maybe a caps thing?)

Yes, I had it done in San Rafael. I find it a bit wild that they are saying they don't know about this new part number. Have you tried escalation to Ninos?
Update on this - they did find the part number (the SC person admitted that they were using the internal part system wrong which was why they couldn't find it). I also confirmed that the aformentioned part number is what one would get for our car if they ordered a windshield for it today.

Where I am stuck at the San Francisco SC is that they have no internal documentation that this newer P/N windshield solves ghosting problems, and because of that and the fact that my original windshield tests as "in-spec" they cannot replace it, at least for free. They said they would be willing to do so if there was any internal documentation that this helps, but they can't simply go on what TMC members are saying.

I'm thinking that if there is someone at the San Rafael SC that has a better handle on this it might make more sense to pursue the issue there.

What was the context under which you had your windshield replaced? Were you pushing for it even though they did not believe it would fix the problem, and then lo an behold it fixed it? Or did they contact you and say "hey, we finally have a fix for the problem, come on in and get your windshield replaced"?

What was the context under which you had your windshield replaced? Were you pushing for it even though they did not believe it would fix the problem, and then lo an behold it fixed it? Or did they contact you and say "hey, we finally have a fix for the problem, come on in and get your windshield replaced"?
I took it to them early on, and they confirmed ghosting. I had a note in my account that the windshield showed "significant" ghosting issues. When I took it in later for another issue, they replaced the windshield without having it on the work order for that visit. They just told me that they had one in stock and wanted to get it replaced for me.

The way I believe they're solving this issue is with some sort of coating on the newer windshields. When wearing polarized sunglasses, there are dark shadows in the new windshield that didn't exist with the previous one. They're usually in the periphery and they don't bother me much. My wife was annoyed with them at first but seems to have gotten used to them (or has stopped telling me about it).

I had mine replaced recently. I had it in my profile/records from very early on. Mine was bad enough that there would be three ghost lights in addition to the real pair. So I would see eight total lights. When I noticed people getting theirs replaced I went in during an annual and asked for them to check it out and replace the windshield. This was confirmed as something to be done very near when we first got the vehicle. I opted to not get anything replaced until I felt the issue was fixed. Happened to be this year once reports were mostly consumers stating it being fixed.

Reactions: omega731
Just going through this again at the cost mesa SC. I've had ghosting since I got the car in Sep 2016 (AP1) and back then they said they put me on "the list" and that they were working on a fix. Have inquired a few times in 2017 but then haven't heard back. Now that I'm purchasing at end of lease, I brought it up again... First appointment that was scheduled, here's the draft repair order:

upload_2019-9-16_10-48-27.png

so it seems they ordered the part - also see the other part #s.
But then they rescheduled my appointment. And this is the new answer:

upload_2019-9-16_10-49-51.png

So yes I've got visible ghosting according to the technician.. but of course it's within spec. And I got the steep angle BS.
Does anyone have contact info for costa mesa SC to reach a manager (human)?

Just going through this again at the cost mesa SC. I've had ghosting since I got the car in Sep 2016 (AP1) and back then they said they put me on "the list" and that they were working on a fix. Have inquired a few times in 2017 but then haven't heard back. Now that I'm purchasing at end of lease, I brought it up again... First appointment that was scheduled, here's the draft repair order:

View attachment 455493

so it seems they ordered the part - also see the other part #s.
But then they rescheduled my appointment. And this is the new answer:

View attachment 455494

So yes I've got visible ghosting according to the technician.. but of course it's within spec. And I got the steep angle BS.
Does anyone have contact info for costa mesa SC to reach a manager (human)?

I Purchased a 2016 model X 2 years ago and it had horrible ghosting. It had other problems as well, and spent a lot of time in service in the short time I owned it. This was in the good days of Tesla customer service. They actually replaced my windshield with another due to ghosting. It did not help at all. They explained to me that AP1 windshields are different, so I couldn’t have non ghosting AP2 windshield. The ghosting was so bad that my wife I would refuse to drive this car at night. That car was purchased back by Tesla and I’m glad the car is gone. I now drive 2018 model X. There’s absolutely no ghost thing at all.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler