Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doubt:Buy Model S used 2014 or wait I can afford M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
In the 2020 I would like change my car (ICE City Car) and I would like buy an Tesla. Here in my country Tesla M3 SR+ starts at 49k- I don't want spent so much at the moment of my life. So, you say to wait a MS P85 early 2014 at 35K with 150.000km or wait can afford an M3 used?

Thanks again

I have an S, but between those two choices I would go with a 3. You're giving up too much with an S that old. A few out-of-warranty repairs on the S and you will have paid for a new 3. The 3 is a helluva car for the money, latest tech, and peace of mind with full warranty coverage.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Hi guys,
In the 2020 I would like change my car (ICE City Car) and I would like buy an Tesla. Here in my country Tesla M3 SR+ starts at 49k- I don't want spent so much at the moment of my life. So, you say to wait a MS P85 early 2014 at 35K with 150.000km or wait can afford an M3 used?

Thanks again
I was like you. I found a rare P85+ (very rare in Europe), I bought it: great car.
Pros :
- full options
- smart air suspension
- free supercharges
- free spotify (in Europe, I think it is niot the case in the US)
- large car
- big trunk, big frunk as it is a rwd
- very powerfull
- very fast car on German Autobahns
- panoramic opening sunroof
- drive unit replaced last year (so I have the million miles motor)
- main battery replaced by a "loan" one (so I think I have a very reliable battery)
- aggressive design with big 21" wheels and third part wheels
- very good build quality: no suspect noise, nothing in bad condition, like a new car after 6 years and 208.000km. My friends can't believe it when I say the km !

cons:
- charges slower than model 3 on superchargers (120kW a few minutes then 60kW max)
- no autopilot
- no new games, no netflix, no youtube
- no sentry
- a bit too firm for me
- not very efficient (consums more than a model 3)
- main warranty expired (still drive unit and battery under warranty) : I had to fix a doorhandle

My best friend has a model 3 SR+ : it is a fantastic car too. The choice is not easy

if you buy from Tesla direct you should still get some warranty. I ended up with 2 years up to 100k odo. So around 70k and 2 years.

that being said I bought a 12/14 build p85D and paid more than I would have for a base model 3. It’s really about what you want in a car. My preference is the model S.

I also disagree about the price of the 3 going down once the Y is out. I highly doubt this will happen. Many speculated the same would happen with the S once the X was release. (Spoiler...didn’t happen)

FWIW I have ap1 with mcu1 on my car and love it. I drove a 19 75d last week for a few days and didn’t find that the ap was all that different at least in the way it performed. (It didn’t have full auto pilot)

if you buy from Tesla direct you should still get some warranty. I ended up with 2 years up to 100k odo. So around 70k and 2 years.

that being said I bought a 12/14 build p85D and paid more than I would have for a base model 3. It’s really about what you want in a car. My preference is the model S.

I also disagree about the price of the 3 going down once the Y is out. I highly doubt this will happen. Many speculated the same would happen with the S once the X was release. (Spoiler...didn’t happen)

FWIW I have ap1 with mcu1 on my car and love it. I drove a 19 75d last week for a few days and didn’t find that the ap was all that different at least in the way it performed. (It didn’t have full auto pilot)
I love computer science and technology so I prefer AutoPilot advanced.. But I can't afford at the moment. While I can afford one Tesla MS 85 2014 at 35K :D Here in Italy it's very difficult find Tesla a good price not like USA :/

For whatever my opinion is worth as a recent Tesla buyer, after much research I decided that even though I am technically competent and spent my life working on cars, parts and support availability is just too much of a lottery. However much I spent I wanted to feel at least a little support in keeping it on the road!

Started off wanting M3, but found the central screen and trunk lid didn't work for me.

Looked hard for 2017 MS based on spec (sunroof, poss. Supercharging) but eventually gave up because of MCU and want to keep option open for FSD.

Decided it had to be CPO car just to get 2 or 4 year wty from Tesla. Found a nice ex demonstrator with 14k miles with FSD and hw2.5 for not much more than the original M3. Way nicer car in my opinion. Had latsest air suspension parts too.

Any way, what I got from my journey is that I feel spending that much needs backup of Tesla Wty otherwise I would be too stressed if anything costly went wrong or couldn't get parts.

So get Tesla Wty on whatever you go for.

If you wait to save for a 3 you could get a used one and pay less than getting a new one. Have you looked for used 3's?

My kids don't want to be in my 2017 S anymore. It wasn't the case when my spouse had an older ICEV. They now prefer my spouse's 3. They'd probably like the S if it were newer.

These are really different cars.
S is very large compared to a 3. This is for us important (comfort, luggage) but can be problematic eg to park or manœuvre in small streets.
3 definitely has the obviously most recent tech but S from 2014 is still impressive.
I thought I’d switch to a 3 when it would come but ... not... size matters (Godzilla anyone ??? :p)
That being said, there are indeed some concerns around SuC charging speed for the 85 and older batteries. Something of no concern on a daily basis, when “slow charging” at home, but it does indeed increase SuC charge time on our travels.
I’m the optimistic one that believes Tesla is working on fixing this.
I’d recommend you buy from Tesla to get the usual 2 years CPO warranty, though the previous owner will probably have had the usual issues fixed under warranty already.