Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doubt:Buy Model S used 2014 or wait I can afford M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: I find an Model S 85P (2013) at 38K euro :) What do you think?

It depends a lot on what kind of a person you are. That old of an S will have no AP which is very enjoyable on the highways and most likely out of warranty - meaning you need to be a tinkerer or have a significant budget for repairs.

The 3 would be a smarter choice, although the S does look better :p

Why go for the performance model S if you are comparing to a SR+? Look for a 60/70/75 option. It will be much cheaper.

If you by a used S from Tesla then it probably comes with warranty.

On these boards it seems like P85 owners are among the most unhappy. Slower charging and battery degradation are common complaints.

So, I must wait some Tesla MS 2015 or M3?

I wouldn’t go any older than a 2015 S. Too many improvements on the 2015 and newer. I have a 2017 S with air suspension and love it. I have been in the 3 and it’s a nice car with better value. But the S just feels more luxurious and I think looks better. I also will be updating to MCU2 so it will take that old MCU concern off the table. With that new MCU, my 3 year old car will be almost as good as new.

But if I lived in Europe, I’d go with the 3 since it’s smaller.

Faced with this question a little over a year ago we ended up getting 2 2013 S's with about 100k miles. My P model has had contactor and motor go bad which were replaced under warranty. The 85S had no major issues (door handle and cant remember much else) Also replaced tires and wiper blades, and not much I can think of...

Over the year I put 35k Miles on the P, fiancée put about 10k on the S. We only sold the S to get a X.

Reactions: MasterchiefTS
They are such different cars! It’s like comparing a BMW 7 series with a BMW 3. One is a grand tourer the other a fun machine that loves to be tossed in corners. In general and in Italy I would lean toward a 3 (BMW or Tesla) as the S is a BIG and LONG car.

For me, I “had to” go with the S as I need space for kids and dogs, but I would have picked the 3 otherwise. The 3 is funner to drive, less “fragile” and easier in cities, parking garages and narrow roads. The S is quite a bit more luxurious, excel on the highway and is very fast 0-100 km/h but it’s a big car at times.

Looks like a lot of cars coming off lease past month. Best value is to buy from Tesla a late 2016 Nose refreshed Model S 75D with Full Self driving. Make sure it says Full Self-Driving Capability. So it has all the Cameras and can be upgraded to HW3 someday.

Looks like a lot of cars coming off lease past month. Best value is to buy from Tesla a late 2016 Nose refreshed Model S 75D with Full Self driving. Make sure it says Full Self-Driving Capability. So it has all the Cameras and can be upgraded to HW3 someday.

This is exactly what I did. I think a lot of 3 year leases for 11/16 and 12/16 75D are going through the system now. Add $2500 to the budget and you get the MCU2 sometime this year. Pretty good deal.

Reactions: kfly212