Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doubts on LR made in US or made in China decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I was expecting an M3 LR AWD in Madrid (Spain) in November, but Tesla has changed my order by offering a Chinese made one instead. It has 5 kWh less battery, will be delivered in the first half of September and costs €2,000 less. The batteries seem to be LG instead of Panasonic, according to my salesman.

I'm not in a hurry to get the car (although it's nice to have it sooner) and I'm not too worried about it having slightly less battery either. However, I would be annoyed if the November model has some interesting new features, like a new computer, LFP batteries, considerable more range or similar.

What do you guys think? Should I say I'd rather wait for the Freemont car?

China is now the export hub for Tesla, it is unlikely that any Fremont M3 will make their way to EU in the foreseeable future, but China M3 seems great, and range is better than the 2020 Fremont (Panasonic) versions.

As for future improvements, Tesla always improve their models and likely always will, so if you wait for the next big thing, you will end up never buying one at all!

If you need a car then just get it, and enjoy it - it's awesome!

I'm in the same boat. Been offered the LG version and I took the opportunity since it's 2000 EUR cheaper. The salesman assured me it's just 5% less capacity and nothing else. Bun now, after reading comments about the LG pack online, I'm having second thoughts about it. The charging seems to be a lot slower, and some say it's a cheap battery pack Tesla bought and used to complete the batch when they ran out of Panasonic batteries. So now I'm not sure anymore. Should I cancel and wait for the Fremont version coming in Nov?

I got the same call as you guys. Based on the videos I've seen about MIC cars I accepted the offer without much hesitation.

Aren't we getting the same batteries as talked about here (just LR instead of SR+)?

I'm in the same boat. Been offered the LG version and I took the opportunity since it's 2000 EUR cheaper. The salesman assured me it's just 5% less capacity and nothing else. Bun now, after reading comments about the LG pack online, I'm having second thoughts about it. The charging seems to be a lot slower, and some say it's a cheap battery pack Tesla bought and used to complete the batch when they ran out of Panasonic batteries. So now I'm not sure anymore. Should I cancel and wait for the Fremont version coming in Nov?

Not necessarily "cheap pack", but a bit of a rush job so they don't yet have a good handle on how it'll hold up.
Decide on the current capabilities, but it's possible that they'll unluck faster charging when they're more confident it'll be OK.