Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doug DeMuro: “tremendously expensive”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s the relevant quote:

» But what nobody seems to be reporting about is how tremendously expensive the Cybertruck is for what it offers. Right now the average transaction price for a light-duty full-size pickup truck is $48,000, give or take. If you go look at the Chevy Silverado, the most expensive version is called the High Country. That starts at $58,000. The Cybertruck top trim starts at $70,000, which is huge money even in the truck world where things have been getting more expensive. Now, its numbers are great: 14,000 pound towing capacity, 0-60 in 2.9, but $70,000 base price — it's really expensive for a truck.

» So, let's go consider a more affordable Cybertruck, which is the mid-range model, and, like I said, that's 300 miles of range and it's a 10,000 pound towing capacity for $50,000, which is about the average sale price for a new truck. That version tows 10,000 pounds, but listen to this… A base model Chevy Silverado tows 9,800 pounds — basically the same — and it starts at only $30,000, twenty grand less than that mid-level Cybertruck. Now, obviously the base model Silverado has practically nothing: no luxuries, cloth seats, pretty crappy single cab, it is a very basic truck, but there's a lot of room to add options and features between $30,000 Silverado base price and $50,000 mid-level Cybertruck base price, and the towing capacity is the same.

I think I can easily pick apart this argument, (and I think there's a reason why “nobody seems to be reporting” it), but I’ll leave that as an exercise for the rest of you.

RE: TCO, let’s look at only fuel costs which is a massive portion of truck ownership, and let’s make rosy assumptions for the truck. Let’s assume 15000 miles per year for 15 years of ownership and do NPV at 3%.

Gas: $3.50/gallon, 22.5 mpg = 10k gallons = $35k raw costs = ~$28k NPV

EV: $.15/kWh, 2 miles/kWh = 112.5k kWh = $17k raw costs = ~ $13k NPV

So you can fairly conservatively discount the Tesla price by $15k without accounting for maintenance which will also be in the Tesla’s favor or depreciation which may or may not.

Here’s the relevant quote:

» But what nobody seems to be reporting about is how tremendously expensive the Cybertruck is for what it offers. Right now the average transaction price for a light-duty full-size pickup truck is $48,000, give or take. If you go look at the Chevy Silverado, the most expensive version is called the High Country. That starts at $58,000. The Cybertruck top trim starts at $70,000, which is huge money even in the truck world where things have been getting more expensive. Now, its numbers are great: 14,000 pound towing capacity, 0-60 in 2.9, but $70,000 base price — it's really expensive for a truck.

» So, let's go consider a more affordable Cybertruck, which is the mid-range model, and, like I said, that's 300 miles of range and it's a 10,000 pound towing capacity for $50,000, which is about the average sale price for a new truck. That version tows 10,000 pounds, but listen to this… A base model Chevy Silverado tows 9,800 pounds — basically the same — and it starts at only $30,000, twenty grand less than that mid-level Cybertruck. Now, obviously the base model Silverado has practically nothing: no luxuries, cloth seats, pretty crappy single cab, it is a very basic truck, but there's a lot of room to add options and features between $30,000 Silverado base price and $50,000 mid-level Cybertruck base price, and the towing capacity is the same.

I think I can easily pick apart this argument, (and I think there's a reason why “nobody seems to be reporting” it), but I’ll leave that as an exercise for the rest of you.
me feel dummer fer reeding dis.

ugg Doug is a retard. Comparing a AWD dual motor CyberTruck with tons of standard features versus some crappy stripped down 2WD gas pickup.

The CyberTruck has over double the payload capacity. There is more to a pickup truck than just towing capacity. The CyberTruck has more like F350/F450 payload capacity which completely blows light pickup trucks out of the freaking water and no one is talking about that.

I didn't feel much of Doug's thoughts on the truck when comparing to base ICE counterparts was particularly on point. I mean...why would you compare it to a base Silverado anyway?

However, it would have been a good idea for him to include comparisons to the specs of other BEV trucks...to show just how far ahead Tesla is with the Cybertruck.

Who pays Doug’s salary folks? And don’t say YouTube. It’s all the ICE cars he advertises. Yes his specimens started as individuals letting him drive cars but now majority are dealers. He’s the mouthpiece for ICE peddlers. He has never been an EV supporter. None of his EV reviews are in good light. Usually back handed compliments or trolling titles. “Why the perf m3 is the best Tesla?” You are seeing what he’s doing there no? He’s still pretending EVs aren’t taking business away from ICE. Why not “why per m3 is the best sedan in history?”

He is not an impartial reviewer you think he is. He will never bite the hand that feeds him.

ugg Doug is a retard. Comparing a AWD dual motor CyberTruck with tons of standard features versus some crappy stripped down 2WD gas pickup.

The CyberTruck has over double the payload capacity. There is more to a pickup truck than just towing capacity. The CyberTruck has more like F350/F450 payload capacity which completely blows light pickup trucks out of the freaking water and no one is talking about that.

Just to elaborate on your point a bit. You are absolutely correct to highlight the 3500lb payload capacity...and this is a FAR MORE IMPORTANT figure than the towing capacity. Unfortunately very few people who have reviewed/commented on the CyberTruck have actually done any towing with a truck. I watched Doug's review and immediately thought to myself, "this guy has never towed anything in his life...he has no idea how to identify a comparable tow vehicle."

Towing capacity on trucks has become a huge marketing gimmick in the past decade. Almost any vehicle these days that produces >200hp can "pull" 10,000lbs. I have literally seen people pull 10,000lb trailers with Chrysler 300's and Dodge Chargers. There is even a guy with an online blog that pulls a 30' Airstream trailer with a Chrysler 300. But properly towing a vehicle requires both towing capacity and and payload capacity. And guess what...when you do the math, 90% of the time an F150 rated to tow 10,000lbs is only properly equipped to handle ~5,000-6,000lbs.

Here is that math: The online payload capacities listed (e.g., on the ford website) don't take into account add-ons (bed liners, covers, etc.) and most F150 have a final payload capacity listed between 1,400-2,200lbs, with the average probably around 1,600 (see a typical door tag picture below). The vast majority of trailers are towed by a conventional trailer hitch...so I will use that math. The typical hitch weight is around 10-15% of the trailer weight (usually closer to 15%). So a 9,000lb trailer requires a minimum of 1,350lb payload capacity. Now add ~1,000lbs of luggage/material to the trailer (~1/3 of which gets transferred to the tow vehicle) and you are required to have around 1,680lbs. But payload capacity also includes everything else you put in the tow vehicle (people, dogs, luggage). Add four adults and some luggage and you really need much closer to a 3,000lbs. I realize that many people who only tow occasionally may ignore this when they go to tow...but there is a reason that almost no one who regularly tows a trailer >5,000lbs considers using a half-ton pickup.

The CyberTruck is the only truck I have seen marketed in the past decade where the towing and payload ratio actually makes sense. The base model is more equipped to handle the rated 7,500lb than probably 90% of the half-ton pickups on the road...and the tri-motor is more on par with an F-350. And when you find an equivalent tow vehicle...then add in options (e.g., nav system, adaptive cruise), many options are not even available on comparable trucks (e.g., autopilot), this is far more comparable to a $80-100K truck. And people outside the EV community who like/need to tow things are already starting to notice this...

door_jamb_tires_sticker_16570b4a6486bdc0f59248ea76177321fd93096b.jpg

It has half the payload of an F350