Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Down Payment + Due at Signing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question. On the 2500 down payment, I know that's required when ordering. What about the "Due at Signing"? Is this 5010 dollars PLUS 2500 or just the difference from 5010-2500?
Also, whatever the answer is- the 'down payment' (other than the 2500), is that REQUIRED or can you roll this into financing?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 2.45.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 2.45.25 PM.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 427
So if you want the guaranteed resale value guarantee, Tesla's banks (Chase and TD) will want 10% down plus your sales tax. Of course your $2500 deposit goes towards that, but don't let your jaw drop when you hear the initial number quoted, which will be around 16-20% of the sticker price of the car depending on where you live.

Note that TD allowed placing 0% down, but that raised the quoted interest rate by over 33% which wasn't worth it to me. I know the 3rd party credit unions often let you put less down, which might be more attractive if you come from other car loans where it's not necessary to make a substantial downpayment.

BTW, I really wish Tesla were more up front about this instead of telling you the real number during the financing stage. The configurator said $4400 due at signing (or $8500 down with GRV), but by the time I got the finance guy quote, the number was $16,000 not including the $2500 down. I don't mind paying a downpayment, and fortunately there's still enough time after getting the quote to the time where I'd need to pay it for me to move cash around.

Reactions: Archimedes