Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade 70 > 60? Would you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seemed to have ordered in this awkward middle time (refresh after price increase). Production scheduled to start soon, though I guess technically it wouldn't matter much since this would be a software change.

I had a S70 RWD ordered, but saving $5500 or ~$100 on the lease makes sense for the tradeoff of 20 miles less range. 210 (60) vs 230 (70).

I may as well get the 60D then for the 8 miles of range and the added AWD. I don't really need it in CA though.

I'm going to see what my options are and if theres going to be any major cost to switch.

Anyone in a similar boat?

It is a good idea to down grade to the 60d, tesla recommends you charge to 80% which if you had the 60 but a 75 kilowatt battery then you could range charge on a daily basses but actually not range charge the cars battery, it is like only charging 80% of the cars battery instead of 100%.

It is a good idea to down grade to the 60d, tesla recommends you charge to 80% which if you had the 60 but a 75 kilowatt battery then you could range charge on a daily basses but actually not range charge the cars battery, it is like only charging 80% of the cars battery instead of 100%.

Can you provide a citation to support this?

It seems to make more sense for Tesla to lock out the bottom portion of the battery (to add extra prevention against bricking the battery). That would also make the daily driving range slider the same for all cars. But I could be wrong. That's just my guess.

Reactions: Vitold and newtman

It seems to make more sense for Tesla to lock out the bottom portion of the battery (to add extra prevention against bricking the battery). That would also make the daily driving range slider the same for all cars. But I could be wrong. That's just my guess.

In the past, the margin has been on top with software limits on battery capacity. Putting it on the bottom would make supercharging very slow.

If it's anything like the 40, it will be identical to a 75 in every way except that you can't move the charge slider past the 80% mark.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
The flood of CPO Tesla's that came on the market about a month ago makes sense now, the lower priced ones (high milage S85's that would be almost unsalable now) went first... only two S85's left... and they will stay on the market forever now unless there is a big price drop! Anyone looking for a used S-60 I expect they will either be taken off the market, or have a price drop.

Interesting times!

I can see purchasing a S60D and then when tax time rolls around using the money gained from the income tax credit to upgrade to the 75kWh option. Only $1500 "out of pocket" for the upgrade then, and have only 11 miles less range than a P90D (35 miles less than the plain vanilla S90D)

Keith

Interesting thought... anyone know if you can do "upgrades" on a leased car like paying to bump the battery up to 75kWh or AutoPilot activation?

I can afford the lease payment on an S60D... I was planning to lease a Chevy Bolt while waiting on the Model 3 to come out and actually be readily available in a few years... I can see the S-60 hitting Chevy in the nuts! With the upgraded battery and ChadeMo adapter I can make the "direct route" from my new job to my wifes new job in a reasonable time. (still surprises me that Birmingham Alabama doesn't have a Supercharger)

Keith

Interesting thought... anyone know if you can do "upgrades" on a leased car like paying to bump the battery up to 75kWh or AutoPilot activation?

I can afford the lease payment on an S60D... I was planning to lease a Chevy Bolt while waiting on the Model 3 to come out and actually be readily available in a few years... I can see the S-60 hitting Chevy in the nuts! With the upgraded battery and ChadeMo adapter I can make the "direct route" from my new job to my wifes new job in a reasonable time. (still surprises me that Birmingham Alabama doesn't have a Supercharger)

Keith

They'll likely let you do an upgrade, but it won't be rolled into your lease. For example, if you had a P85D and want to upgrade to Ludicrous on a lease, they'd let you, but you'd pay $5,000 like any owner. When they take the car back, you've lost the entire value of the upgrade as opposed to the depreciation unless you plan on buying the car at lease end.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I can't wait to see how these new 60's supercharge because we won't know till then whether you always drive around with more electrons or if you always drive around not being able to fill the tank with electrons.

My bet is they've simply limited to 80% to shave time off supercharging.

I'm also curious about what the badge will be. When you upgrade are they going to send you a new badge?

• Helpful
Reactions: Dwdnjck
I can't wait to see how these new 60's supercharge because we won't know till then whether you always drive around with more electrons or if you always drive around not being able to fill the tank with electrons.

My bet is they've simply limited to 80% to shave time off supercharging.

I'm also curious about what the badge will be. When you upgrade are they going to send you a new badge?
They said you would get a new badge at your next service center visit. If you never go, well, good question!

On the AWD:
  • Yes, you get a little more range. But that all hinges on the stronger regen you get with the dual motors. I doubt it would make much difference on a road trip. YMMV!
  • Stronger regen would be neat on the nutcase hills around here.
  • Not sure what the perceived "comfort" or the rough roads advantage is. You do know RWD rally cars are pretty good right?
Check out my avatar: I am an AWD fan, have been for a long time. But this RWD car took me up that dirt road in Russian river just fine. You don't need the extra traction unless it gets snowy frankly. Or you spend a lot of time driving fast on dirt roads in your Model S. :)

Save $5000! Use it well!

Last edited:
70 owner here. When I bought my car, I thought pretty hard about the 85. My experience and a loaner 85 really changed my perspective…

First, I was surprised to discover the 85 was about 10% less energy efficient than the 70, probably because of the extra battery weight. Then I realized that: a) I've only had one occasion when the 85's extra range would have been useful; b) there's a new supercharger that will make sure that one occasion will never happen again; and c) I've never even range charged past 90%.

At this point, I'm not sure I'd get an 85 or 90 even if it were a free upgrade. The superchargers really make the extra range unimportant, and I'm one of those people that really like energy efficiency. And since range charging has been unnecessary, I wouldn't upgrade from 60 to 75, either!

How much extra range do you REALLY get by going dual motor? Particularly on a road trip?
I just had a discussion with a guy at work today about this and I just don't see $5,000 in value to the second motor in SoCal.
And if you're worry about snow or dirt, then you need proper TIRES for the snow or dirt.

Reactions: e-FTW