Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade 70 > 60? Would you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Tesla talking the position that someone who ordered a 70KWh version cannot downgrade to 60KWh for the $500? My Purchase Agreement contract says "If you want to make changes to your Vehicle Configuration, we will try to accommodate
your request. If we accept your request, you will be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee"

Is Tesla seriously saying that cannot be done when they can on the day of delivery upgrade you from 70KWh to 75KWh? Are you kidding me?
I think I would have gone with a 60 but when I purchased the faster charger it was shown as a buy it now only price and then it was changed to an enable later option and it's like pulling teeth to get them to take that out. Had I known it was going to be in an able later option I would not have got it. Now we've got the 60 kilowatt hour battery option and I could have saved another six grand or whatever. Playing fast and loose with the options and what they mean and which ones can really be changed by software is one thing but I just don't understand why they're not giving the folks that were putting orders in the last few weeks the option to make changes. It's not like I got a car a year ago and want to make downgrades and have them give me ten grand.

So I suggest buying the Model 3, or the baseline RWD S with minimal upgrades. Consumer Reports just told us that tires, not AWD, are what really matter in winter, and who absolutely needs that rear power lift gate, anyway?

I wonder what people who drive a lot in the snow have to say about that claim and consumer reports in general

"Real" winter tires are fantastic! A set of Blizak snow tires on a RWD car (my heavily modified 300 HP 1999 Miata) make it fun to drive in winter vs terrifying on all season and undriveable on Summer performance tires. The only thing better than a set of Blizak snow tires in winter is an AWD car with a set of Blizak snow tires :) I didn't quote you for that though, the quote is so I can say I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports if they told me water was wet, or that Denver has lower air pressure than Miami.

I came to this conclusion back in the 90's when cars built in the same factory, on the same assembly line, by the same workers, in the same year got different ratings based on what badge (Mitsubishi or Eagle in the case of the Eclipse / Talon and Mitsubishi or Dodge for the 3000GT / Stealth). If it had the Japanese badging it got a much better rating than the same exact car with a Domestic badging.

Later,

Keith

PS: Location is listed as East Mississippi, but I grew up in Michigan and until I move next month I am actually currently in Indiana... I know snow :)

Last edited:
Reactions: e-FTW
"Real" winter tires are fantastic! A set of Blizak snow tires on a RWD car (my heavily modified 300 HP 1999 Miata) make it fun to drive in winter vs terrifying on all season and undriveable on Summer performance tires. The only thing better than a set of Blizak snow tires in winter is an AWD car with a set of Blizak snow tires :) I didn't quote you for that though, the quote is so I can say I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports if they told me water was wet, or that Denver has lower air pressure than Miami.

I came to this conclusion back in the 90's when cars built in the same factory, on the same assembly line, by the same workers, in the same year got different ratings based on what badge (Mitsubishi or Eagle in the case of the Eclipse / Talon and Mitsubishi or Dodge for the 3000GT / Stealth). If it had the Japanese badging it got a much better rating than the same exact car with a Domestic badging.

Later,

Keith

PS: Location is listed as East Mississippi, but I grew up in Michigan and until I move next month I am actually currently in Indiana... I know snow :)

Yeah I used to daily an s2000 on blizzaks in NE Ohio . With an LSD you have plenty of traction and every car has 4 wheel braking and cornering. If you can't get out of the house with snows and 2wd you really shouldn't be out

Sports car on snow tires is really one of life's great joys. It finally allows you to feel the limits at normal speeds and people don't seem to mind of you pull the occasional slow drift

I think e caveat is that this probably only works in a relatively flat area. I never tried it in Colorado

Last edited:
...I think e caveat is that this probably only works in a relatively flat area. I never tried it in Colorado
AWD does help with getting going on steep hills and cornering in slick conditions.

The other thing that makes AWD attractive to me is that I don't actually need to hassle with snow tires (and they ARE a hassle, been there, done that for many years) because 95% of my winter driving is done on cleared — usually dry — roads. Why put on snows to deal with just getting up my steep, curved, driveway? If conditions are bad I stay home for a few hours or a day, until I can shovel my long driveway and the roads are plowed and sanded, after which careful driving with regular tires works fine. For those who actually have to be out and about in snowy conditions, yes, snow tires are the safest way to go.

How much extra range do you REALLY get by going dual motor? Particularly on a road trip?
I just had a discussion with a guy at work today about this and I just don't see $5,000 in value to the second motor in SoCal.
And if you're worry about snow or dirt, then you need proper TIRES for the snow or dirt.
When driving u will notice the diff between awd and rwd. The accerlatuon so more smooth, esp going up hill

Who about for a non-D 60? Everyone keeps talking about the 60D. But there is a cheaper version still! It is the RWD-only 60, and I strongly encourage folks to look at it. I understand winter and snow and all that. But with good winter tires (not all-seasons), I am convinced this car can handle snow just fine.
Agree that the RWD 60 is a great deal. A good set of winter tires in FWD or RWD car will certainly beat any AWD system with just all-season tires. Consumer Reports have done tests on this before.

AWD does help with getting going on steep hills and cornering in slick conditions.

The other thing that makes AWD attractive to me is that I don't actually need to hassle with snow tires (and they ARE a hassle, been there, done that for many years) because 95% of my winter driving is done on cleared — usually dry — roads. Why put on snows to deal with just getting up my steep, curved, driveway? If conditions are bad I stay home for a few hours or a day, until I can shovel my long driveway and the roads are plowed and sanded, after which careful driving with regular tires works fine. For those who actually have to be out and about in snowy conditions, yes, snow tires are the safest way to go.

AWD on all season tires are OK in winter conditions, but a Model S with the 21" wheels comes with summer tires. Summer tires even on an AWD car are horrible in winter. The tread compound starts to resemble the flexibility and grip of a hockey puck at around 40F and they are worse than useless in snow or on ice. As long as you stick with one of the 19" wheel options you will be golden.

Keith

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Is Tesla talking the position that someone who ordered a 70KWh version cannot downgrade to 60KWh for the $500? My Purchase Agreement contract says "If you want to make changes to your Vehicle Configuration, we will try to accommodate
your request. If we accept your request, you will be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee"

Is Tesla seriously saying that cannot be done when they can on the day of delivery upgrade you from 70KWh to 75KWh? Are you kidding me?

Yes, I have been in contact with Tesla since the announcement and they will not allow a change to the S60. I ordered a S70 and was very price sensitive. My one week change period expired right before the annoucement of the 60. Tesla told me the only way to change to the 60 is to cancel my order for $2500, and then put in a new order for the S60. They did not give me the option to change for the $500 change fee.

I don't understand why Tesla can't change my order since nothing has started production. I do feel like Tesla tricked me by not giving me a heads up of the changes. I understand not every in the company would have known of the changes, but at least they can retroactively let me change my order since it hasnt started production yet. From what I understand, customers caught in between changes, have been offered options. If this is indicative of the type of company Tesla is, I would rather give my business to others.

I don't know really if it's such a better deal than the 70. You save 5 grand but you lose 25 miles of range, kind of a big deal on a car that has such a small range. Software unlock is then a prohibitive $9k. Add range anxiety to the mix and most people will drive less than 200 miles without charging the 60.

I understand your frustration though. I am price sensitive like you are, considering the 60. Definitely a lot of money for a car. I realize that adding to your frustration is the fact that supercharging both cars may be done in similar times/range.

I would caution against changing from a 70 to a 60 even if Tesla allows you to do with a $500 change fee.

It's all about USABLE miles.

I would define the usable miles as the amount of miles you can charge to without going into the 90-100% range of the physical battery.

A 60 only allows you to go to 80%. So you're just leaving that 10%.

A 70 allows you to go to 93% so you're only wasting that 3% that you'll hardly ever use.

So in the end I would argue that a 70 is the most ideal if one could pick the 60, 70, or 75 (assuming all of them having the 75kwh battery). The 60 is the second most ideal, and the 75 is the third (although ideal for those that frequently need the 90-100% area).

Yes, I have been in contact with Tesla since the announcement and they will not allow a change to the S60. I ordered a S70 and was very price sensitive. My one week change period expired right before the annoucement of the 60. Tesla told me the only way to change to the 60 is to cancel my order for $2500, and then put in a new order for the S60. They did not give me the option to change for the $500 change fee.

I don't understand why Tesla can't change my order since nothing has started production. I do feel like Tesla tricked me by not giving me a heads up of the changes. I understand not every in the company would have known of the changes, but at least they can retroactively let me change my order since it hasnt started production yet. From what I understand, customers caught in between changes, have been offered options. If this is indicative of the type of company Tesla is, I would rather give my business to others.

If what you are saying is correct, then they want $2,500 for a freaking SOFTWARE change! The S60, S70, and S75 all come with the same damn battery pack, and not letting you change from S70 to S60 for the $500 change fee is ridiculous! Hell, with a change in options availability like this they should waive the $500 and give you the change for free!

I would consider canceling the order and filing a small claims court action to recover the $2,500 if I were you.

Keith

I don't know really if it's such a better deal than the 70. You save 5 grand but you lose 25 miles of range, kind of a big deal on a car that has such a small range. Software unlock is then a prohibitive $9k. Add range anxiety to the mix and most people will drive less than 200 miles without charging the 60.

I understand your frustration though. I am price sensitive like you are, considering the 60. Definitely a lot of money for a car. I realize that adding to your frustration is the fact that supercharging both cars may be done in similar times/range.

I personally don't think they are going keep the 60 option for a long time so now is the time to get that MS... Especially with the $1000 referral offer! Referral | Tesla Motors