Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade 70 > 60? Would you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity what grounds would you claim for being able to break your side of the contract with no penalty?
Legalities aside, what's the big deal in letting customers that have put down a large amount of money, make a software or account change on an option that's been changed during the purchasing process? I do feel that I was misled about the high speed charging. I also think they're continuing to try to mislead me stating that it is in fact the hardware change and would be difficult for them to make. Everyone else has said that its software. If Tesla wants to avoid issues like this in the future, they could put a little bit more thought into the options and how/when they're presented.

I choose to downgrade specifically for the cost savings. I was on the fence about the premium package, but with the 5500$ savings I was able to add it and save ~$2500. The difference in range is negligible. I should be able to charge to 100% of my battery allotment without worrying about increased battery degradation.

Reactions: Tazman
I choose to downgrade specifically for the cost savings. I was on the fence about the premium package, but with the 5500$ savings I was able to add it and save ~$2500. The difference in range is negligible. I should be able to charge to 100% of my battery allotment without worrying about increased battery degradation.

Mr Chill, were you able to change your existing order to a S60? If you can give some tips on how you accomplished that, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

Mr Chill, were you able to change your existing order to a S60? If you can give some tips on how you accomplished that, it would be very helpful. Thanks.
Yes I was. It seems like i was very lucky. I haven't found anyone else who was able to downgrade after confirming. My DS was no help, however I work near the Tesla store where I test drove and placed my order. I went there, sat, and spoke with someone who I assume is the manager of the location. They said it couldn't probably be done but they would email their boss, who was in CA to inquire. I kept insisting that it could be done because there was no change in parts or physical requirements. I got a call a couple hours later saying that the downgrade and the addition of the premium package as approved. The changes showed in my Tesla account 2 days later.

Out of curiosity what grounds would you claim for being able to break your side of the contract with no penalty?

The contract makes it pretty clear that they will try to accommodate changes and the 70KWh has been discontinued. How hard would it be to make the change since they do it as a matter of course now.

Right there.

Like I said before, in a case where they make a major change to the options lineup like this they should waive the $500 fee but it is their right not to... poor public relations, but it is their right. Trying to screw the customer out of $2,500 rather than charge him the $500 is not just poor public relations it is down right stupid and the person being thus screwed shouldn't stand for it.

Keith

I don't think it is their right to deny the change. They say they will "try" to accommodate the change. There is no attempt by Tesla in this circumstance so they are in breach. I plan to ask for my deposit back if they don't do the change.

Reactions: Tazman
What exactly is the definition of "try"?

Cynically, I would say that it means that Tesla couldn't be bothered and the tried to care, but alas could not. It is a win/win for them in that you either forfeit your deposit (win) and/or reorder (win). The canceled S70 model cars that are already being made will be software switched to 75 models along with the other soft options to sell at a higher price as inventory cars (big win).

Seriously, I think they would have to come up with some reason it was not practical. In my case, delivery is scheduled for November so the factory hasn't probably done anything. The change is just a software lock and no changes to the parts list other than the badge. Maybe they tried to secure S60 badges and couldn't, which is the only part change need several months down the line when my car goes into production.

Basically, Tesla didn't think through the transitional issue of S70 orders wanting the minimum battery size possible when they tried to pump up sales with the lower price point. They finally thought about the ripple through of maybe ~5,000 orders wanting the smaller battery with the lower profit and are trying to pull a fast one--probably some mid-level manager in fear of EM's wrath.

Reactions: Fourdoor and Tazman
@Mr So Chill Very nice. I am setting up a meeting with the Colorado manager at the retail store. I will try the same thing or ask for my deposit back. I can hobble along until my Model 3 arrives as I am at the front of the line. My Model S was just to get me through the snow season and resale on the S70 with the S60 out there would loose me a few thousand more in one year of ownership.

70 owner here. When I bought my car, I thought pretty hard about the 85. My experience and a loaner 85 really changed my perspective…

First, I was surprised to discover the 85 was about 10% less energy efficient than the 70, probably because of the extra battery weight. Then I realized that: a) I've only had one occasion when the 85's extra range would have been useful; b) there's a new supercharger that will make sure that one occasion will never happen again; and c) I've never even range charged past 90%.

At this point, I'm not sure I'd get an 85 or 90 even if it were a free upgrade. The superchargers really make the extra range unimportant, and I'm one of those people that really like energy efficiency. And since range charging has been unnecessary, I wouldn't upgrade from 60 to 75, either!

Exactly why I bought the S70 instead of 85. Based on the miles I drive and rarely more than a 4 hour trip (rather fly), so my next vehicle may just be a S60 instead of the Model 3 that I reserved.