Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone looked into the specifics of downgrading the car software? I'm not asking if it's possible but more if anyone has tried a man-in-the-middle attack posing as teslas server to provide downloads.

Tesla obviously still hosts older versions on their server since some people take a while to update, would it be feasible to trick the car into thinking I needs to "upgrade" to a lower version?

Has anyone looked into the specifics of downgrading the car software? I'm not asking if it's possible but more if anyone has tried a man-in-the-middle attack posing as teslas server to provide downloads.

Tesla obviously still hosts older versions on their server since some people take a while to update, would it be feasible to trick the car into thinking I needs to "upgrade" to a lower version?
I think it might have been possible for some of the early S'es, but no longer. There is all sorts of cryptographic signing going on now to prevent that. I would throw donations to anybody that could come up with a reliable way to do that though.

I think it might have been possible for some of the early S'es, but no longer. There is all sorts of cryptographic signing going on now to prevent that. I would throw donations to anybody that could come up with a reliable way to do that though.
I haven't done any testing or research but assuming they are signing releases, you should be able to store the signature and send it back to the car later.

There is an obvious danger associated with downgrading if this scenario is not designed and tested for by Tesla. A software upgrade may introduce new configuration or state data, or migrate them to a new format that the old software cannot understand. When this happens and the software is downgraded, the consequence can range from losing data/configuration, crashing to bricking.