Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good points @OCR1 .

We know that most people who wanted an SR and hadn't already had an SR+ delivered got the car they wanted. That's probably mission accomplished in Tesla's book.

I do wish Tesla would get their ducks in a row and give their customer service representatives consistent information to give out, though. People who have already taken possession of SRs don't know for certain what they're going to lose, and us SR+ owners don't know what we paid extra for.

Actually, a thought just occurred to me based off of a couple of things.

1. Are there any confirmed sales of a Canadian SR (the 93 mile version)?
2. Didn't @Keromaru say he was told to wait until after they come to Canada?

What will Tesla do if some stubborn Canadian actually orders the 93 mile version? Will they maintain two different software lock levels across the US and Canada?

What if Tesla is waiting to see if anybody actually orders the SR- before coding the software locks?

And for those this thread who think Tesla is particularly tricky... What does Tesla do if they do get 93 mile version orders? Make that the official SR range in the US as well, and offer upgrades?

OCR1 has a great point about cash flow. And thank you for getting everyone back on topic. Here’s hoping when Tesla has the software ready they give two options: downgrade for cash back (knowing it will cost more in the future to re-enable features) or offer same amount of refund off of AP/FSD purchase to keep SR+.

Reactions: Legen---dary
I'd like this possibility, but don't understand why Tesla should give same amount of refund off AP/FS purchase without downgrading.

If a customer wants to downgrade, Tesla loses $2,000.

If a customer is given a discount off AP, Tesla gains $2,000.

I’d imagine many people that bought SR+ without AP did so because they might have already been stretching to afford the Model 3 (or were on the fence about the value of AP at $4,000). Getting half off makes it a no brainer and I would argue that it would incentivize more people to pay for AP than those that would downgrade.

I’d imagine many people that bought SR+ without AP did so because they might have already been stretching to afford the Model 3 (or were on the fence about the value of AP at $4,000). Getting half off makes it a no brainer and I would argue that it would incentivize more people to pay for AP than those that would downgrade.

That is probably true, but I would probably prefer other features like the live traffic data(Which the website claims SR+ has haha) without it it's still inferior to google maps, garage opener.

I paid $2500 extra for my SR+.:(
And AP is currently $3000 ..
So $500 AP for me?
I will take it!:D

2mqvqep.jpg

Getting back to the original topic of this post...

I just don’t see Tesla downgrading all of these previously sold SR+ models to an SR and issuing refund checks to all of those previous buyers. It doesn’t make any logical sense. Why would they do that? They’ve already sold all of those cars. They don’t issue refunds when prices go down.

There was one reference to a downgrade in a blog on the website last month, and complete silence on the subject since then. Tesla needs cash. They don’t need to be issuing refunds to buyers of previously purchased cars. I really have no idea why they offered to do so on the blog in the first place, but if they had any intention of doing so I think they would have done so by now.

It's an unusual situation; maybe you've heard what happened, but maybe not. I agree that they need cash - I even started a thread trying to think of ways they could compensate SR+ buyers (for the SR vapourware debacle) and make some more money at the same time. That would be the best option for sure.

[In case you are not familiar, the TL;DR is: they pushed people hard to get the SR+ by comparing it to the SR, which was a car they never intended to make but offered for sale in parallel with the SR+, then gave the SR crowd the SR+, complete with power everything, leather, center console with USB etc.. the same exact car, so it's not like the price went down or anything]

If I get a refund it will end up being almost $5000 CDN. At the time FSD would have cost me $6600 IIRC, so I'd definitely chuck in another couple of thousand, keep the SR+ as-is, and get the now-somewhat-useless FSD.

It's an unusual situation; maybe you've heard what happened, but maybe not. I agree that they need cash - I even started a thread trying to think of ways they could compensate SR+ buyers (for the SR vapourware debacle) and make some more money at the same time. That would be the best option for sure.

[In case you are not familiar, the TL;DR is: they pushed people hard to get the SR+ by comparing it to the SR, which was a car they never intended to make but offered for sale in parallel with the SR+, then gave the SR crowd the SR+, complete with power everything, leather, center console with USB etc.. the same exact car, so it's not like the price went down or anything]

If I get a refund it will end up being almost $5000 CDN. At the time FSD would have cost me $6600 IIRC, so I'd definitely chuck in another couple of thousand, keep the SR+ as-is, and get the now-somewhat-useless FSD.

Yes, I get the dilemma.

And while their communication could have been better, it’s not all that different from end of 2018 when they scared everyone into taking delivery to get the full tax credit, and then dropped the prices by substantially more than the credit in early 2019.

Their pricing decisions have been quite erratic as of late. I think we all just have to learn to be smart buyers and buy on the dips. We know end of quarter is coming, so why order now unless they offer you an incentive to do so.

Reactions: Legen---dary

Thank you, now I understand your proposal.
It would be smart if the downgrade SW will never exist, even if the Autopilot today is sold for 3K after, so the additional cost should be 500 or 1000 depending on when the car was bought.
If the downgraded SW will exist then if I was Tesla I would refund the difference with Autopilot only if you downgrade.

Thank you, now I understand your proposal.
It would be smart if the downgrade SW will never exist, even if the Autopilot today is sold for 3K after, so the additional cost should be 500 or 1000 depending on when the car was bought.
If the downgraded SW will exist then if I was Tesla I would refund the difference with Autopilot only if you downgrade.

That's not exactly a refund, more like "exchange". People who didn't take autopilot in the first place was either budget or it's useless to them.

I have to say I'm quite excited to see people replying in this thread too.

Yes, it doesn't seem like they will have any official response. It feels like Tesla likes to spread the good news across all social media and leave out the bad stuff.

I have to say I'm quite excited to see people replying in this thread too.

Yes, it doesn't seem like they will have any official response. It feels like Tesla likes to spread the good news across all social media and leave out the bad stuff.

Just like a bunch of youtube video (Tesla Autopilot predicts CRASH Compilation) that demonstrate how autopilot saves model 3 from crash and turns out half of them were human intervention instead of autopilot and when you actually bought and start driving model 3 yourself you found out that autopilot were not that smart yet?

I get so excited every time I see a new message in this thread. At this point I'm less interested in what solution Tesla comes up with, and just looking forward to any resolution.

The painful thing is that we may just never hear back from Tesla on this in any official capacity...
I feel like I already had my closure with it.

There is no lesson here to learn. But I have learned that Elon getting into trouble with SEC over twitter posts is consistent with this dumb decision of his to sell one car at two price points- SR and SR+.
He speaks/commits prematurely.

Tesla needs to reimburse $2500 in some sort of way to the people who got the SR+ at $37,500.
1.) They give us autopilot/FSD at a discount of $2500
2.) They give us the internet, live traffic, music streaming, and enable the speakers that don’t even work.
The big reason we all got the SR+ was because of all the benefits that they stated compared to the standard range. Let’s face it, none of us want cloth seats in a Tesla. The problem is that right now the SR nearly has every feature that the SR+ has at a lower price point, and we were deceived in the beginning in choosing extra features that we didn’t think the SR would have. Regardless if Tesla screwed up, they need to make it right. It’s not like we’re talking $500 here, $2500 is a substantial amount of money...

Tesla needs to reimburse $2500 in some sort of way to the people who got the SR+ at $37,500.
1.) They give us autopilot/FSD at a discount of $2500
2.) They give us the internet, live traffic, music streaming, and enable the speakers that don’t even work.
The big reason we all got the SR+ was because of all the benefits that they stated compared to the standard range. Let’s face it, none of us want cloth seats in a Tesla. The problem is that right now the SR nearly has every feature that the SR+ has at a lower price point, and we were deceived in the beginning in choosing extra features that we didn’t think the SR would have. Regardless if Tesla screwed up, they need to make it right. It’s not like we’re talking $500 here, $2500 is a substantial amount of money...

100% agree with you. This is especially worst for those Canadians who's order SR+ before late April as they missed out the $5000 incentive (which at that time, everyone from Tesla kept saying that Model 3 will never get the incentive)

Did you sent Tesla ([email protected]) email and let them know what you think? I've been sending email to them but no responds no reply not even acknowledge from them.

100% agree with you. This is especially worst for those Canadians who's order SR+ before late April as they missed out the $5000 incentive (which at that time, everyone from Tesla kept saying that Model 3 will never get the incentive)

Did you sent Tesla ([email protected]) email and let them know what you think? I've been sending email to them but no responds no reply not even acknowledge from them.

Try the live chat. I got a reply in 5 minutes (on an unrelated topic).

Yeah, we were severely ripped off, and yeah, they hardly respond to any attempts at contact. Even the chat was useless - they just passed the buck, a Tesla tradition it seems.

$7000 lost in a month due to Tesla deception of just wanting to move product, and $5000 for 20 miles and heated front seats. Oh, and 1500km instead of 7500km supercharging. All of this in 30 days. Love hate them.

Still no word on 'downgrade.'

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric