Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup
Its range will be limited by 10%, and several features will be disabled via software (including our onboard music streaming service, navigation with live traffic visualization, and heated seats).
This is a bit confusing as SR+ doesn't have onboard music streaming service or navigation with live traffic visualization either, right? Looks like the only changes are range and heated seats?
Similarly, anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost.
Then it looks like a super good deal to downgrade my SR+! Since it's a software cap I can always charge it to 100%, yielding the same normal range.

If you don't need the heated seats and the extra 20 miles of range (and maybe streaming and traffic), the SR is actually a really good deal.

You pay $2000 less, which you either don't have to finance, or can invest in something. And when you sell it, you can either upgrade it before you do, or even better, sell it SW locked. If I had to buy a used SR+ Model 3 at some point in the future, the SW locked ones would be the ones I want, since they have never been charged to 100%.

Also, there is a good chance, that Tesla will at some point need some money and sell you the upgrade for whatever is in your wallet that day.

Sadly non heated seats EVs don't really work where I live, range loss in winter is just too high. But I would always buy the SW locked Teslas, if possible. If they offered the SW locked SR Model S in Germany, I would have a new car right now.

Reactions: GSP and dhanson865
SR+ does not have streaming and traffic anyway. I take it that they can't stop data and navigation in SR in either case because of FSD.

Unless Tesla gives some benefit to SR folks soon (chance to buy optional premium plan for streaming/ browser, etc.) , I see real possibility of flood of downgrade requests.

• Informative
Reactions: R.S
SR+ does not have streaming and traffic anyway. I take it that they can't stop data and navigation in SR in either case because of FSD.

Unless Tesla gives some benefit to SR folks soon (chance to buy optional premium plan for streaming/ browser, etc.) , I see real possibility of flood of downgrade requests.

Oh right, then it's actually just 20 miles more starting range, plus the heated seats. That's not a lot for 2k, or whatever the refund is...

Oh right, then it's actually just 20 miles more starting range, plus the heated seats. That's not a lot for 2k, or whatever the refund is...
Since it's been reported that the SR has less speakers than the SR+, if you request to be downgraded, do they turn-off 2 of the speakers to get to the SR level? I haven't seen any report that mentions that, so I'm curious.

I am going to let the dust settle a few days and then give them a call. I am hoping they release a statement or a process with details but that is highly unlikely.

I will gladly take that $2k back in my pocket as I don't need heated seats where I live and the range is negligible for my needs.

Since it's been reported that the SR has less speakers than the SR+, if you request to be downgraded, do they turn-off 2 of the speakers to get to the SR level? I haven't seen any report that mentions that, so I'm curious.

That would be interesting to know. I guess they could probably turn off 2 speakers. It seems to me, like Tesla isn't really sure either, what they will do with it. They definitely don't want to sell the SR, but it seems like they want to show, that they care about existing owners.

It is kind of a weird decision to allow SR+ customers to get a refund, but not to refund those, who payed more for FSD. So I am pretty sure, they will want to make it as bad of a deal as possible. Right now it just sounds too good, so maybe they will turn off speakers, or think about something else to make it worse.

• Love
Reactions: Gen3
Just got off phone with sales staff. SR+ should get nav and streaming radio upgrades, maybe more so converting to Standard is not necessarly just dropping range and heated seats vs SR+. Delivery teams suppose to contact those who already received SR+ to discuss options. Will see if this is accurate.

should get nav and streaming radio upgrades, maybe more so converting to Standard is not necessarly just dropping range and heated seats vs SR+

Correct, SR wasn't supposed to get LED fog lights and the 0-60 is supposed to be 5.6 seconds vs. 5.3 for the SR+. So I would expect more changes.

Though SR was supposed to have heated front seats, so maybe they are only turning off the rear seats.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia