Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you bought your SR+ after they announced the SR would be software limited? In that case I wouldn't think that you would qualify to downgrade. My understanding is that only people that purchased prior to the announcement would qualify.
I think he's in the same position as me.
I purchased the SR+ after a 500USD price increase but before the announcement of the SR to be only SW limited.
It's a tight window but some us are within that window,

Reactions: willow_hiller
So here is an updated interior packages picture that shows what they say will be locked out on the SR once they get around to it:

View attachment 404609

So essentially:
  • Disable the fog lights
  • Disable the immersive sound option
  • Reduce the range by 10%
  • Possibly reduce performance.
Thank you for the information! It's crazy how little differences there are, so how are they gonna do the speakers? Software lock the sound xD? To be honest, most people would downgrade seeing this list, Tesla is better off offering SR+ some upgrades. Also, interior carpeting? I don't remember getting that unless they literally mean the interior floors and not floor mats.

Reactions: Legen---dary
Thank you for the information! It's crazy how little differences there are, so how are they gonna do the speakers? Software lock the sound xD? To be honest, most people would downgrade seeing this list, Tesla is better off offering SR+ some upgrades. Also, interior carpeting? I don't remember getting that unless they literally mean the interior floors and not floor mats.

Yeah, agreed. The differences I remember, being pushed on me, are:

Heated front seats
Power seats
Cloth seats and inferior interior materials
Power mirrors
Power steering wheel tilt/telescope
Carpet
Center console with USB. Rear USB.
Center console with covered storage.
Lower than low sound system (SR+ already not good)
Physically smaller battery
Lower performance
No live data for maps, no satellite maps, no streaming music, no web browser; though I've seen none of this in my SR+ anyway.

If the only differences are essentially the 92% battery charge of the SR+, which can then be charged to full, then the cars are the same. Absolutely worth downgrading.

Tesla would be so much better off offering a few upgrades to the SR+ owners, to make the car meaningfully different from the SR, rather than paying out a lot of money. Of course, if they don't then all SR+ owners should logically downgrade, unless they have an emotional reason not to.

Last edited:
Yeah, agreed. The differences I remember, being pushed on me, are:

Heated front seats
Power seats
Cloth seats and inferior interior materials
Power mirrors
Power steering wheel tilt/telescope
Carpet
Center console with USB. Rear USB.
Center console with covered storage.
Lower than low sound system (SR+ already not good)
Physically smaller battery
Lower performance
No live data for maps, no satellite maps, no streaming music, no web browser; though I've seen none of this in my SR+ anyway.

If the only differences are essentially the 92% battery charge of the SR+, which can then be charged to full, then the cars are the same. Absolutely worth downgrading.

Tesla would be so much better off offering a few upgrades to the SR+ owners, to make the car meaningfully different from the SR, rather than paying out a lot of money. Of course, if they don't then all SR+ owners should logically downgrade, unless they have an emotional reason not to.
I'd also take AP for 1k more that'll make up the 2k difference for me

Just saw this, what do I need to do to get downgraded, I made my reservation in April 2016, was called by a sales rep to upgrade to sr+ and can take delivery that day March 28 2019, so I did and picked it up on March 30th. I honestly feel ripped off. Disappointed and Tesla and myself for falling for this.

Reactions: Legen---dary
Just saw this, what do I need to do to get downgraded, I made my reservation in April 2016, was called by a sales rep to upgrade to sr+ and can take delivery that day March 28 2019, so I did and picked it up on March 30th. I honestly feel ripped off. Disappointed and Tesla and myself for falling for this.

No one really has much information on this since Tesla is currently only taking names of SR+ owners that are interested in downgrading. They say they will reach back out to us when the option is available.

I would recommend sending them a customer support email saying you are interested in downgrading to get your name on their list to contact you when it is available. That is as far as I have gotten with requesting information on downgrading.

No one really has much information on this since Tesla is currently only taking names of SR+ owners that are interested in downgrading. They say they will reach back out to us when the option is available.

I would recommend sending them a customer support email saying you are interested in downgrading to get your name on their list to contact you when it is available. That is as far as I have gotten with requesting information on downgrading.

I think a lots of people did send the request or inquiry to customer support and my guess is that they Tesla will drag it along and eventually move on and hope everyone forget this.

Latest update I got from Tesla when asking about my case # to downgrade:
Alright, it looks like this is for a downgrade request. We still have this open and still have not established a process for these requests yet. We are still working on this and will be following up once we are ready to complete these requests.

Reactions: dmark1021
Latest update I got from Tesla when asking about my case # to downgrade:
Alright, it looks like this is for a downgrade request. We still have this open and still have not established a process for these requests yet. We are still working on this and will be following up once we are ready to complete these requests.

I spoke with a kind gentleman at Tesla again today. This is the plan:

I'll not go on the official list until it's known exactly what the downgrade involves, or whether Tesla will be offering SR+ owners some sort of incentive to not downgrade (and differentiate the SR/SR+ which are currently identical in all ways).

The latter is unlikely. Notes were taken regarding my discussion and once there's more information a decision can be made.

Another reason not to go on the list is that they might 'accidentally' give me the 93-mile range compliance car.

If we can downgrade to the SR+ clone and only lose seat heaters and get 92% of the SR+ battery, it's absolutely worth it. For me it's $5000 due to taxes and initial price difference. They lied to me about the $5k federal rebate that is now in effect as well, just a month after I bought my car (which drops the price $7k). I suppose pushing sales is more important than customer resentment.

Off topic: if they hobble the already bad sound system, I might make a project of disconnecting all Tesla speakers and creating a completely separate sound system with controls and amps mounted in the console/trunk. At this point, for anyone who likes good sound, they'd might as well remove even what the SR+ has as it sounds so terrible.

I spoke with a kind gentleman at Tesla again today. This is the plan:

I'll not go on the official list until it's known exactly what the downgrade involves, or whether Tesla will be offering SR+ owners some sort of incentive to not downgrade (and differentiate the SR/SR+ which are currently identical in all ways).

The latter is unlikely. Notes were taken regarding my discussion and once there's more information a decision can be made.

Another reason not to go on the list is that they might 'accidentally' give me the 93-mile range compliance car.

If we can downgrade to the SR+ clone and only lose seat heaters and get 92% of the SR+ battery, it's absolutely worth it. For me it's $5000 due to taxes and initial price difference. They lied to me about the $5k federal rebate that is now in effect as well, just a month after I bought my car (which drops the price $7k). I suppose pushing sales is more important than customer resentment.

Off topic: if they hobble the already bad sound system, I might make a project of disconnecting all Tesla speakers and creating a completely separate sound system with controls and amps mounted in the console/trunk. At this point, for anyone who likes good sound, they'd might as well remove even what the SR+ has as it sounds so terrible.
The differentiating feature would be standard AP on SR+.
Free AP for all SR+ would settle it.

If SR+ owner already bought AP, a discount on FSD.
If SR+ owner already bought FSD, 5000 miles supercharging.

The differentiating feature would be standard AP on SR+.
Free AP for all SR+ would settle it.

If SR+ owner already bought AP, a discount on FSD.
If SR+ owner already bought FSD, 5000 miles supercharging.

I think at the time AP was $4000 in my area, and FSD $6600. So I'd pay $2600 more and get FSD. That would partially take the burning sensation out of my butthurt, make Tesla even more money, rather than refunding it, and go a long way to removing resentment.

All these years waiting to buy a Tesla and the moment I do, chaos. lol+cry. I sometimes wonder if Elon cares about those at the bottom of his profit margins at all.

I think at the time AP was $4000 in my area, and FSD $6600. So I'd pay $2600 more and get FSD. That would partially take the burning sensation out of my butthurt, make Tesla even more money, rather than refunding it, and go a long way to removing resentment.

All these years waiting to buy a Tesla and the moment I do, chaos. lol+cry. I sometimes wonder if Elon cares about those at the bottom of his profit margins at all.

Agreed with all your points, I'm on the same boat as you

I surely hope they will consider giving this group of people some incentive (Discount on FSD) but i highly doubt they will, as I assume Tesla already consider this group of people obsolete and not return customer so they don't have to do anything about it. I really want them to make things right as I do love the car so much (not so much about the company) and I want to buy one more for my wife as well in the future.

Agreed with all your points, I'm on the same boat as you

I surely hope they will consider giving this group of people some incentive (Discount on FSD) but i highly doubt they will, as I assume Tesla already consider this group of people obsolete and not return customer so they don't have to do anything about it. I really want them to make things right as I do love the car so much (not so much about the company) and I want to buy one more for my wife as well in the future.

Good point re obsolete and non-returning customer.

I've cancelled my PY order already and am on the fence about getting another Tesla, ever. The problem is, it's currently about the best car out there in all respects, so I'd have to wait for something better to come along. I was also a fanboy for years, and agree with everything Musk is trying to accomplish, which make this all the more difficult to take.

I do think that if they take the low-road on this whole fiasco, I'll have to actively discourage any and all from getting a Tesla. At the moment I'm still encouraging it. Time will tell.