Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question to everybody.
Since I was on my 7 days window Tesla is giving me actually 2 options:
1) 1500 reimbursement to move to an SR
2) Have a "discount" on the autopilot and pay it 2000USD and keep the SR+ version (basically i would end up paying the SR+ 39,500 like the "new" SR+).

Opinions are more than welcome.
Thank you

Is your commute with stop and go traffic? Do do go on long trips? If yes, then get the Autopilot.

Question to everybody.
Since I was on my 7 days window Tesla is giving me actually 2 options:
1) 1500 reimbursement to move to an SR
2) Have a "discount" on the autopilot and pay it 2000USD and keep the SR+ version (basically i would end up paying the SR+ 39,500 like the "new" SR+).

Opinions are more than welcome.
Thank you

What do you mean by the 7 day window? You emailed asking for a downgrade within the first 7 days of delivery? I wonder if they would offer $1,000 off AP if I asked about downgrading now... I'd take the AP any day of the week.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Yes stop and go traffics
No long trips (using the minivan for those)
The difference is $3500.

You get $1500 or spend $2000...

I am inclined to use AP for longer trips rather than daily commuting because my commute is only 12 miles each way.
On longer trips on the freeway it is nice to have AP but the phantom braking always surprised me.

If I were in your shoes, I would lean toward getting $1500 back, especially if you aren't planning to sell the car any time soon.
If you plan to sell the car within 3 years or so, having the AP will definitely get you higher bid so you will get at least half of $2000 back.

Last edited:
What do you mean by the 7 day window? You emailed asking for a downgrade within the first 7 days of delivery? I wonder if they would offer $1,000 off AP if I asked about downgrading now... I'd take the AP any day of the week.
Hi yes, I received the car lees than 7 days from the announcement the SR was going to be an SR+ software limited so I called and I asked for downgrade and I was told it would happen, so I asked if I had to return the car and was told no. Note: I’m not complaining about Tesla, I think they didn’t need to offer a reimbursement, but they did, so it’s a good problem to have a choice.

Reactions: willow_hiller
The difference is $3500.

You get $1500 or spend $2000...

I am inclined to use AP for longer trips rather than daily commuting because my commute is only 12 miles each way.
On longer trips on the freeway it is nice to have AP but the phantom braking always surprised me.

If I were in your shoes, I would lean toward getting $1500 back, especially if you aren't planning to sell the car any time soon.
If you plan to sell the car within 3 years or so, having the AP will definitely get you higher bid so you will get at least half of $2000 back.
I’m assuming you bought it with the AP? Will you downgrade?

Tesla's not offering the 220 mi version in Canada, are they? I guess they realized how many people in the US were ordering them, wanted to qualify for the Canadian federal rebate, and didn't want to lose SR+ sales to downgrades...

They did for like a month, then released a 150 km version on May 1st to get the Federal 5k rebate. Though, at the same time Tesla increased the overall price of the Model 3 which counters 70% or more of the rebate. So, there wasn't much to gain out of the rebate for future owners. Meanwhile, some people have mentioned if they wanted to downgrade from SR+ to SR they will get the 150 km version instead of the 220 mi, so well played by Tesla.

Though, at the same time Tesla increased the overall price of the Model 3 which counters 70% or more of the rebate. So, there wasn't much to gain out of the rebate for future owners.

Did they increase the price or add more standard features? I.e. Make AP standard. In the US they actually lowered the cost when doing that as long as you were going to get AP.

Did they increase the price or add more standard features? I.e. Make AP standard. In the US they actually lowered the cost when doing that as long as you were going to get AP.

Well if you were planning to get autopilot then yeah it's cheaper by 500-1000$. Though, autopilot in Canada is more like for fun feature. It has too little data and different variables here than in US.

Reactions: MP3Mike