Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who got contacted by Tesla about downgrading, how did you initially contact Tesla? Phone called, send messages, or email?
I tried sending message after login my Tesla account, but never got any reply.

I replied to that email, submitted a Help Request, scheduled a service appointment, and reached out to my order advisor, but none of the methods have been answered. I did hear in another forum that, "they are still finalizing the details for the SR+ to SR (or more like the upgrade option to keep it as an SR+) and hope to have it ready by the end of the quarter.

I submitted a request to downgrade back in April when they first announced the production features of the 35k Standard Range model. As others have reported I received an email last Tuesday (6-11) from a Tesla adviser asking me if I still wanted to proceed with the downgrade. I connected with a Tesla adviser yesterday and was told the downgrade refund would be the difference in price at the time I made the purchase. I bought the SR+ in March when it was $37k base price and submitted my request for the Standard range when it was first came out at $35k. In the end I should net about $2k (+ some taxes I believe) The software downgrade is supposed to occur in about 1 week and the refund will be processed in about 6+ weeks. For our family the big compelling reason to buy the SR+ was the semi-premium interior (we have kids and cloth is a no go) so when they announced that the interior of the SR would be the same for us it was a no brainier. Great car and I when it's downgraded I still expect it to be great!

I submitted request to downgrade by chat last month. Then I was contacted by Tesla Rep last week to downgrade by email and phone call, I then ask the rep specifically on the differences between SR and SR+ (Need to have it in writing just in case). After I decided to downgrade last week, called back and left a voicemail, no response. Yesterday, emailed the rep, still no response. I'll give them benefit of the doubt that they're really busy and wait another day before I contact Tesla again.

I submitted request to downgrade by chat last month. Then I was contacted by Tesla Rep last week to downgrade by email and phone call, I then ask the rep specifically on the differences between SR and SR+ (Need to have it in writing just in case). After I decided to downgrade last week, called back and left a voicemail, no response. Yesterday, emailed the rep, still no response. I'll give them benefit of the doubt that they're really busy and wait another day before I contact Tesla again.

I was told that last Wednesday was the cutoff for the Freemont folks to process your request. If you missed that deadline, then it will be now be up the customer support team/service team to process the request. It implies that it could take some time if the local service teams will be handling it.

I do think they are busy, especially processing new orders to take advantage of the expiring tax credits this month. They provided me the following list in an email and said during the phone call that fog lights were also no longer included. I specifically asked if front heated seats were included which the answer was yes.

Following the update, your Model 3 Standard Range will include:

• 220 mile Range

• 5.6 seconds 0-60 mph

• 130 mph Top Speed

• Standard audio system without immersive sound

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
IThey provided me the following list in an email and said during the phone call that fog lights were also no longer included. I specifically asked if front heated seats were included which the answer was yes.

Following the update, your Model 3 Standard Range will include:

• 220 mile Range

• 5.6 seconds 0-60 mph

• 130 mph Top Speed

• Standard audio system without immersive sound

JParr, your wording has me a little bit confused, with your phone conversation with Tesla. Were the heated seats and fog lights now included in the SR or are they included on the list of SR+ features that we will be losing?

So per your conversation with Tesla, will the Standard Range have have heated seats?
Will the SR have fog lights?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Stach

JParr, your wording has me a little bit confused, with your phone conversation with Tesla. Were the heated seats and fog lights now included in the SR or are they included on the list of SR+ features that we will be losing?

So per your conversation with Tesla, will the Standard Range have have heated seats?
Will the SR have fog lights?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Stach
I am 100% certain he is saying fog lights are not included in SR. But heated seats are included on SR.

Anyone decided to downgrade? I am thinking to keep my current configuration. $1500 for losing 10% range, fog light, better sound, and acceleration seems to be not a good deal.

If the range is top-locked then the downgrade is worth it I think. Fog lights are irrelevant for most, the sound is crap no matter what, and maximum acceleration is in the hundreds of milliseconds difference. Maybe if it's only US$1500 it's not worth the downgrade for resale value, but where I am it's almost $5k difference between the two models, so definitely worth it (unless bottom-locked).

If the range is top-locked then the downgrade is worth it I think. Fog lights are irrelevant for most, the sound is crap no matter what, and maximum acceleration is in the hundreds of milliseconds difference. Maybe if it's only US$1500 it's not worth the downgrade for resale value, but where I am it's almost $5k difference between the two models, so definitely worth it (unless bottom-locked).

But where you are doesn't the $5,000 less actually cause a 61% range loss? (Locked to 150 km from 386 km.)

But where you are doesn't the $5,000 less actually cause a 61% range loss? (Locked to 150 km from 386 km.)

If they made it into the current version of the SR, then yes. The day I picked mine up the SR had a supposed 220 mile range. I'm still waiting to hear back, which I have not despite great effort.
Getting a refund on the 32km of range for a top-locked battery of almost $5k is of course a no-brainer. It will not make up for the lies I was told regarding the current SR, but it's something :)

Anyone decided to downgrade? I am thinking to keep my current configuration. $1500 for losing 10% range, fog light, better sound, and acceleration seems to be not a good deal.

I am not downgrading. For me, there is a noticeable difference between immersive sound and non-immersive sound. Is that worth $1500? Probably not. It would have been easier to downgrade with $1500 refund if there is an aftermarket sound system that I can use to improve the audio. So taking the overall package, I decided to stay in the current config. To each their own ...

So in reading some of these responses it isnt a flat $1500 any longer it is the difference between what you paid at time to current?

If so thats more then $1500 in my case. (Took delivery March 16th)

From what I understand, it's the difference between the current prices. A SR with AP is currently $38,400 and an SR+ is $39,900, so the refund is $1,500.

Personally, I emailed asking for $2,000 AP as an incentive not to downgrade. No response yet!