Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a post earlier in this thread if you are interest in going way back.... In summary I emailed Tesla requesting a downgrade in mid April, they replied to me in June via email asking if I wanted to go forward with the downgrade (same as the email @hckyplyr revived. I didn't hear anything else until the downgrade when through 2 weeks ago and I subsequently got the check in the mail.

Also, they only verbally told me what the refund would be over the phone but my understanding is the the refund amount is directly tied to when you made the purchase. My check was for $2k as I bought the SRr+ at the end of March for $37k and only a few weeks later the Std range model 3 came out for $35k.
Thanks.
The email timeline coincides with mine. But I haven't got the downgrade.

Fair point on the regen. They could be adjusting that in software. With Supercharging, it's theoretically a hardware limit.

Here's the most recent chart I can find of SR+ Supercharging rates: Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

It looks like the 100 kW taper begins around 55% SOC. So a top locked SR should see the taper around 59%, I think.
So looking at my recent experience I’m thinking the battery is top limited.
It’s basically a mathematical reason so I could be wrong.
I always charge up to 70%.
I don’t change the percentage.
When I was downgraded (yesterday) I took the car after not having charged it and it was 75%.
So I’m expecting what happened was:
I was charged around 68%/69% (not under charge during the night)
The downgrade happened so the car recalculated the percentage (same miles available to drive) so since the denominator decreased, but the numerator did not than the percentage increased. If the numerator didn’t change it means that I have the same amount of charge available as before the downgrade which means it’s not top limited.
I know it’s boring bit could be an explanation

I'm going to second your conclusion that the battery is top locked.. To experiment, I've charged the SR up to 100% twice now and both times my regenerative braking still worked fairly aggressively. Prior to the car being downgraded I believe my SR+ would stop regenerating above 95% SOC.

I'd be really curious if the battery is only locked from a physical plugged in charge (vs regenerative braking). I wonder if I charged it up to 100% and then drove it down hill a long way (say From the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado) would it add range beyond what the battery is software locked at? That would be an interesting but useless (unless your commute started from a long downhill each morning)

Man, I cant seem to pull the trigger on this but I wouldn't mind the $2k.

My problem is resale value as I may update in a year or 2 to a Y and will the $2k be recognized as a loss when trading in/selling.
Not sure. Let’s assume you paid 37 for your car and now you downgrade and the value of the car is 35. After 2 years let’s assume de. depreciation is 30%.
37*30%= 11.1
35*30%= 10.5
Basically you’ll still be ahead of 600USD.
The question is are 600USD worth? the change

Just got my check in the mail.
On the phone I was told I would receive a check for $2500 and I will get the refund on the tax on a separate check. But the check was $2700.
I am not sure if I will get another check in the future.

The car was downgraded about 4 days ago and it definitely feels slower off the line.
At this point, I have not decided whether to buy AP for $3000.

Thanks Elon for honoring the request to downgrade.

Reactions: willow_hiller