Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgraded to 1.17.2???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been running 1.21.0 for at least a week now and, for some reason, my Powerwalls were just downgraded to 1.17.2. Has this happened to anyone else? I wonder what the reason would be.

Ever since I got my Powerwalls installed in March, my upgrade path has been:
1.15.0 > 1.17.1 > 1.20.0 > 1.21.0 > 1.17.2

Really bizarre. Need to roll back all my monitoring and update scripts now as a result.

I had my firmware upgraded when it was determined that my powerwalls had failed cooling pumps. The symptom of a unit with a failed cooling pump is excessive fan operation. Basically, if your unit isn't discharging at or near max and the environment around it is not near peak specs the fan shouldn't be running very fast. You will hear it and be able to feel a fair amount of air flow out the heat exchanger output on the top right as you are looking at the units.
The firmware downgrade was pushed from tech support as a temporary solution to the pump failure issue. I ended up having both of my PWs replaced under warranty. My neighbor had three units installed and one his had a pump failure which supports the theory that Tesla had a batch of bad pumps come through.
Note that I had to make the initial diagnosis and push (many times, many calls) to get their tech support to acknowledge and elevate the issue for final resolution.
Support of late seems to have improved so perhaps Tesla is finally beefing up the Powerwall support staff. Response times are reduced but certainly not eliminated.

One of my two PWs installed last Sep also had a bad cooling pump. IIRC, the problem first started when the fan was running at a much higher speed than the other PW during peak charging period. After a week or two, the fan eventually failed and I called Tesla. They said it had a bad cooling pump and the bad PW was replaced this past Feb.

Now I notice that the fan of the replacement PW seldom turned on.

My PW is currently running 1.20.0.