Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgraded UI in v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure it isn't possible, but how many people would like the ability to go back to the previous interface (mine just updated Dec 24, 2021). For many of the items on the display that I regularly interact with, it now requires more taps and attention devoted to the screen to get to. Includes seat heater, windshield defrost, wipers--why can't we add these items to the lower bar (or is this possible and I can't figure it out?)? Why would they allow us to customize the bar with nonessential icons (ie browser) and not add the essentials (ie window defrost)?

I'm sure it isn't possible, but how many people would like the ability to go back to the previous interface (mine just updated Dec 24, 2021). For many of the items on the display that I regularly interact with, it now requires more taps and attention devoted to the screen to get to. Includes seat heater, windshield defrost, wipers--why can't we add these items to the lower bar (or is this possible and I can't figure it out?)? Why would they allow us to customize the bar with nonessential icons (ie browser) and not add the essentials (ie window defrost)?
My theory is that they are pushing you further away from paying attention to driving essentials and more of being "entertained"/stop thinking while driving. This is not a good look by Tesla.

Is it just me, or has the Tesla Model 3/Y User Interface taken a big step backwards? The once-elegant touchscreen now looks like a student project, with degraded visuals, maps that are unusable at night and text that no one over 40 will be able to read.

I suspect that this is due to a staffing change at Tesla. The prior head of UI Development has likely moved on and was replaced with someone younger and less experienced. The previous UI was gorgeous and intuitive, and it clearly showed some Apple influence.

This new UI first appeared on the 2021 Model S and has been adapted to the Model 3/Y’s smaller screen. There are many things wrong with its functionality. I’m surprised this got past Elon and Franz.

I know its not possible, I asked last year with the 2020 update. I would like to go back to pre 2020, where the map and reversing camera covered 3/4 of the screen. Every update since then has downgraded a really good interface.
The addition of extra camera views has been a bonus but rearranging the display twice for no additional benefi, is ridiculous.

This same conversation took place with the holiday update from last year. Did people forget about that, or is everyone here a new owner?
It has gotten progressively worse. Last year's update made things aesthetically worse but it didn't lose functionality, this year's update has lost some critical capability. The wiper icon is gone, replaced by a press of the squirter which isn't too bad, but how do you get the trip computers and tire pressure now?, those were a single swipe before. What was easy is now buried deep in a menu. They had promised customization, unfortunately that was limited to a tiny dock rather than the whole screen. On Android I can fully customize my Pixel's screen and it's very powerful, this isn't anything like that. Even the number of items in the dock in Android is customizable, I have seven in mine. If 7 items can fit on a 6" portrait phone screen why is a giant landscape tablet screen limited to four? What's more my Android dock items, as well as non-dock items, can be folders which allows me to organize groups of useful things together which makes it trivial to get at anything in no more than two clicks.

This same conversation took place with the holiday update from last year. Did people forget about that, or is everyone here a new owner?

Change is scary. I get it. We're all going to have to take some time to get used to what this looks like.

Some things I love (the new placement for the Homelink buttons - bottom left - is awesome)... some I don't.

Please calm down we had the sames bugs in version 10 remember for S ans X fonts and icons is too small on the dashscreen and 2-3 updates lateer is perfect. It's only version 11 that push just for holiday
Sorry nope - this update is a mess. I don't give 2 hoots about shortcuts to games and Spotify but I care A Lot about tire pressure, 1 click access to heated seats, etc. Dropping visuals for LTE and wifi status - why? Less information is a downgrade, sorry. The last update shrunk the map for cartoon animations on the screen and w/o FSD it's just more wasted whitespace on the left.

I understand people get all psyched for choreographed light shows but come on, that fun lasts a couple days. A poor, less safe driving experience may take many revs to undo if Tesla even thinks this update is truly what it is - a downgrade.

Grrr

My guess is LTE and WiFi status were judged to be less important because most folks generally have the same commute every day, so they know where they do and don’t have coverage - it doesn’t need to be on the screen all the time. I would say that seat heaters are something people use every day during the colder months, though, so maybe losing that as a permanent, 1-click fixture is not good. I haven’t spent any time with the new UI, yet, so I’ll suspend judgement until I have. Overall, it looks more “crisp.” It was kind of rounded and low-res before, with icons much larger and cartoony-looking than I thought they needed to be. The autopilot availability icon, for example. I like the sharp look. It looks more serious. I’ll spend some time with it this week and get a real feel.

I am a new owner - since Sept - where did the LTE and WIFI status go ? I don't have premium connectivity so sometimes I need to hotspot to my phone.
They are buried in the car menu somewhere. There was no reason to move them because they were small and unobtrusive.

Just wait until next year when the speedometer is removed and put in a menu somewhere. Most of us will complain except for those who will say "But you can ask how fast you are going with voice commands, Boomer!"

Is it just me, or has the Tesla Model 3/Y User Interface taken a big step backwards? The once-elegant touchscreen now looks like a student project, with degraded visuals, maps that are unusable at night and text that no one over 40 will be able to read.

I suspect that this is due to a staffing change at Tesla. The prior head of UI Development has likely moved on and was replaced with someone younger and less experienced. The previous UI was gorgeous and intuitive, and it clearly showed some Apple influence.

This new UI first appeared on the 2021 Model S and has been adapted to the Model 3/Y’s smaller screen. There are many things wrong with its functionality. I’m surprised this got past Elon and Franz.
Well, I got my first Tesla in August this year. A few updates went through.
My phones OS also get updated after a while.
From my short experiences during the last 3 months, I am quite satisfied.
And to be honest, I much prefer version 11 vs 10.
sorry If I was not a first model S buyer, but in my opinion, if i don’t like the car, I would sell it and buy another one or brand.
Why are people making such a drama about some software updates is above my comprehension.
Changes will never suit to all, some like it others dislike.
(btw I’m in Europe, and we don’t even have beta FSD 😊)
Enjoy your driving until the robots take it over…

Took me like 20 min to find WHICH of my tires was low today in the wife's 3. That's about 19 min too long.
Changing profiles is a HUGE hassle.
doing anything feels like a hassle.
the nav info is WAY too small, with no boxes around it. sure it looks cute but you can't read it at a glance.

It's obvious they design only on a computer then push it to the car. They've never driven a car before and think font size negative 4 and grey on light grey is just fine for everything.

It's a horrific UI.